• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am apt to watch only the Retro TV Channel these days, last night I clicked on CNN and Chuck Norris was on Larry King talking about his new book:

Black Belt Patriotism: How to Reawaken America

At some point, Chuck said some stuff about how we are not dealing with the issues - right after he said that, Larry played the lipstick pig video twice, and asked Chuck his view of that. Funny stuff. I think Arina Huffington, and Ari Fleischer, were on also.

wow, chuck norris? does he really talk? that larry "played the lipstick pig video twice" does it for me, though, right there. no need to go on. :lol

wow, chuck norris? does he really talk? that larry "played the lipstick pig video twice" does it for me, though, right there. no need to go on. :lol

Chuck's political beliefs are to the right of right - but it was funny to watch him shake his head when they had the camera on him as Larry played the video and asked him for a response.

As this spins in it's third and fourth circle all I can think is:

1. Both parties need to keep all this tabloid stuff out, and keep focusing on what they can do for the country. Throwing around the term 'earmarks' doesn't do it for me. Check how many bills passed in the history of the U.S. had earmarks.

2. People need to ask themselves what McCain will do to get U.S. troops out of Iraq. Why Iraq has a surplus. Why does the U.S. have a massive deficit? How will military aggression and keeping tax cuts get us out of deficit? How will staying at an atrocious deficit help keep us from becoming a province of China? How will plundering the U.S. wilderness for the remaining drop of oil lower our dependence on foreign oil and decrease our carbon emissions while meterologists are staring at storms going crazy?

Lipstick on a pig. That is not these things.

Bill Clinton predicts Obama will win 'handily'

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 50 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Barack Obama and former President Clinton talked for two hours on Thursday, their first meeting in a White House race that had once bitterly divided them. Clinton predicted that Obama will win the presidency "pretty handily."

Their conversation started with small talk about the former president's commute to his Harlem office and ended after a lunch of sandwiches, flatbread pizza and salad from Cosi.

"They discussed the campaign briefly, but mostly talked about how the world has changed since September 11, 2001," their spokesmen said in a joint statement. The meeting came on the seventh anniversary of the attacks and shortly before Obama was to visit Ground Zero with Republican presidential rival John McCain.

Reporters were allowed in at the beginning of the meeting in Clinton's 14th floor office, but the former president kept his answers short when he was asked about his involvement with Obama's campaign this fall. He noted an already announced trip Sept. 29 to Florida.

Obama said, "We're putting him to work."

Asked if he would be campaigning beyond that, Clinton said, "I've agreed to do a substantial number of things, whatever I'm asked to do."

Before reporters were ushered out, Clinton was asked where he sees the race between Obama and McCain.

"I predict that Senator Obama will win and win pretty handily," he said.

Obama interjected: "You can take it from the president of the United States. He knows a little something about politics."

Obama and Bill Clinton appeared less friendly toward each other at times during Obama's Democratic primary battle with Clinton's wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York. After Obama clinched the party's nomination, both Clintons gave strong speeches in Obama's favor during the party convention in Denver.

Obama's visit to Clinton's Harlem office, which overlooks Central Park, sparked excitement in the neighborhood, with people crowding around police barricades that shut off the block. The two men briefly appeared in front of the building, where a large group had been waiting for hours in hopes of a glimpse.

People screamed loudly and snapped cell phone pictures when the two emerged. Obama ducked back in the building with Clinton after a few waves but without shaking hands.

Their spokesmen said the two men were complimentary of each other's work, with Obama praising the Clinton Foundation, and Clinton applauding the candidate's campaign.

"They also spoke about what the next president can do to help make the economy work for all Americans, as it did under President Clinton, and ensure safety and prosperity far beyond the coming the election," their joint statement said.

One thing I loved about Huckabee's candidacy was always Chuck Norris in the background.

One of my favorite current comments from Savage Love this week....

LouieB

Savage Love 9/11

"Speaking of hot teenagers and asshole parents and vows that you may come to regret...

The 17-year-old daughter of Sarah Palin, the GOP's vice-presidential nominee, is pregnant. The news was released by the McCain camp during a busy week

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/11/m...n_n_125743.html

Does he seriously think anyone believes his bullsh*t?

Watch McCain about a minute and a half into the tape, when he's asked what National Security credentials Sarah Palin has. He replies "energy." The reporter goes, no, I asked you about national security. McCain then says that Alaska is close to Russia. They're amazing.

One thing I loved about Huckabee's candidacy was always Chuck Norris in the background.

that part of huckabee's run passed me by, and i'm devastated.

that part of huckabee's run passed me by, and i'm devastated.

he did a few campaign stops w/ ric flair too. if it would have ended up a huckabee/nature boy ticket, i would have bought a yard sign and put it up. don't know if i would have actually voted for it, but it would make me hesitate for moment when it came time to punch the ballot.

Hucksbee seemed like the only likable guy on either side during the primaries. I don't like his politics, but he actually seemed like a really cool person.

His whole "Yeah someone must have pointed a gun at Obama and he feel off his chair" thing at the NRA convention was pretty funny.

His whole "Yeah someone must have pointed a gun at Obama and he feel off his chair" thing at the NRA convention was pretty funny.

Ok, so he made one joke off the cuff in bad taste. Doesn't change that he seems like a cool guy.

When it comes to foot-in-mouth disease, he's no Biden.

Today's Roger Ebert op-ed regarding Palin is quite good. Apologies if this was already mentioned.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/11...rtpalin.article

From Salon:

Palin and Gibson go head to head

Sarah Palin's second big test happens Thursday night, just a few minutes from now, when the first part of the interview she did with ABC News' Charlie Gibson airs. Considering the lengths to which the McCain campaign has gone to keep her from facing the press at large so far, and the substantial resources devoted to preparing her, this should be interesting to watch.

Ever since the news that Gibson would be the first interviewer came out, he's been the subject of some harsh criticism from people who suspected he was chosen because he could be trusted to lob softballs. But I think people will be surprised, and find that he's a tougher interviewer than expected. Certainly the excerpts ABC has released of the interview don't show him laying down.

A few choice moments from those excerpts are below. Some things to pay attention to: obviously, her stance on NATO expansion and what that means regarding war in Russia, her attempt to completely distort the meaning of what she said about Iraq being "a task that is from God" and the fact that she doesn't appear to understand the definition of the word "hubris."

Sarah Palin on Experience:

GIBSON: Governor, let me start by asking you a question that I asked John McCain about you, and it is really the central question. Can you look the country in the eye and say "I have the experience and I have the ability to be not just vice president, but perhaps president of the United States of America?"

PALIN: I do, Charlie, and on January 20, when John McCain and I are sworn in, if we are so privileged to be elected to serve this country, will be ready. I'm ready.

GIBSON: And you didn't say to yourself, "Am I experienced enough? Am I ready? Do I know enough about international affairs? Do I -- will I feel comfortable enough on the national stage to do this?"

PALIN: I didn't hesitate, no.

GIBSON: (INAUDIBLE -- Didn't that take some hubris?)

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink.

So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.

Sarah Palin on God:

GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

PALIN: But the reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln's words when he said -- first, he suggested never presume to know what God's will is, and I would never presume to know God's will or to speak God's words.

But what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that's a repeat in my comments, was let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God's side.

That's what that comment was all about, Charlie.

GIBSON: I take your point about Lincoln's words, but you went on and said, "There is a plan and it is God's plan."

PALIN: I believe that there is a plan for this world and that plan for this world is for good. I believe that there is great hope and great potential for every country to be able to live and be protected with inalienable rights that I believe are God-given, Charlie, and I believe that those are the rights to life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That, in my world view, is a grand -- the grand plan.

Sarah Palin on Russia:

GIBSON: Would you favor putting Georgia and Ukraine in NATO?

PALIN: Ukraine, definitely, yes. Yes, and Georgia.

GIBSON: And under the NATO treaty, wouldn't we then have to go to war if Russia went into Georgia?

PALIN: Perhaps so. I mean, that is the agreement when you are a NATO ally, is if another country is attacked, you're going to be expected to be called upon and help...

GIBSON: And you think it would be worth it to the United States, Georgia is worth it to the United States to go to war if Russia were to invade.

PALIN: What I think is that smaller democratic countries that are invaded by a larger power is something for us to be vigilant against. We have got to be cognizant of what the consequences are if a larger power is able to take over smaller democratic countries.

And we have got to be vigilant. We have got to show the support, in this case, for Georgia. The support that we can show is economic sanctions perhaps against Russia, if this is what it leads to.

If you get the chance, watch Charlie Gibson’s interview with Palin - it’s much worse than I thought - and, that’s without being asked tough follow up questions. Apparently, the summation of Palin’s foreign policy experience has to do with Russia being her neighbor, and like, from some places, you can actually see into Russia - oi fucking vay.

We've all spent two weeks speculating about her without her adding a single additional word beyond rehashing a speech that was mostly written before she was a candidate. Let her go have tea with Charlie Gibson. Until she has something legitimate to bring to the table, I'm done with her.

Heh.

Holy Jesus, was that bad. And by "bad", I mean awesome. :rotfl

I'm lovin it. Seems like most of VC has a better grasp on the Bush Doctrine than Ms. P