The original e-mail said "look for clips and other information at Wilcoworld.net beginning in January" ...

With January almost gone, has anyone heard when and where the clips may appear?

(I was at the Cain's show, so am looking forward to this DVD with anticipation.) :rock

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, on the website for the dvd, when you hold your mouse over the signup for the mailing list it says 'Pre-Order Deluxe.' I wonder what kind of extras the Deluxe Version will have.

That doesn't happen for me. Though it is interesting that you caught that. I wonder, if true, what that could include.... perhaps an audio disc of the video...just a guess? :blush

I will take that bet since it's on the official web site. How much is a lot of money to you? I take checks, cash, and McDonald's gift certificates.

Am I allowed to get some action on this bet? :P

What bridge is that? Is it a bridge?

It looks like the I-65 bridge over the Alabama River just north of Mobile. Don't know what the official name is, all I've ever heard it called is the Dolly Parton bridge, for obvious reasons. Its not a terribly unique bridge design, so who knows if it is, but it would make sense considering they're including the Mobile show.

I think it's interesting that they would use footage from the cain's show. i was at the show and it was fantastic, but if i remember correctly jeff was sick and his voice wasn't quite up to par. i would love to see a show i attended be in the film, i just think that there were probably better performances on the tour. i am in no way saying that the show wasn't spectacular by the way.

I think it's interesting that they would use footage from the cain's show. i was at the show and it was fantastic, but if i remember correctly jeff was sick and his voice wasn't quite up to par. i would love to see a show i attended be in the film, i just think that there were probably better performances on the tour. i am in no way saying that the show wasn't spectacular by the way.

As Jeff said, they'll have to put an asterisk beside that show, since he was on steroids that night. :lol

I like the shows that are not perfect. That's what makes them seem more, I dunno, rock 'n roll! :rock

It looks like the I-65 bridge over the Alabama River just north of Mobile. Don't know what the official name is, all I've ever heard it called is the Dolly Parton bridge, for obvious reasons. Its not a terribly unique bridge design, so who knows if it is, but it would make sense considering they're including the Mobile show.
Dude, you should be on "Jeopardy"! I checked out the bridge you mentioned on Google Street View and here it is:

View Larger Map

Billboard story

Indies Get Wilco DVD Early For Record Store Day

February 06, 2009 12:00 AM ET

Cortney Harding, N.Y.

In an effort to boost excitement for Record Store Day (April 18), Wilco is making its new Nonesuch concert DVD, "Ashes of American Flags," available early, and exclusively, to indie retail for the occasion, Billboard has learned.

The film -- recorded in Tulsa, Okla.; New Orleans; Mobile, Ala.; Nashville; and Washington, D.C., during the band's 2008 tour -- will go on sale to all retailers two weeks later. It will serve as a teaser for Wilco's next studio album, expected this summer.

"My introduction to a lot of great music and to the 'music business' came from hanging around and eventually working at independent record stores in Belleville, Ill., and St. Louis many years back," Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy tells Billboard.com. "It's the life I know. Nothing beats browsing in your favorite store, listening to music, finding something new or old that you've been searching for, being ignored by the store clerks, all that. And without these stores, there's just no way Wilco would still be around. They've been with us from the very beginning, through thick and thin. Even if I wasn't in a band, I'd still support Record Store Day. It's a great thing and I'm glad we could do something special with them for our DVD."

"When we learned that Record Store Day was confirmed and would even merit an industry-wide Saturday release date, it seemed like a perfect matchup," says Nonesuch senior VP of marketing Peter Clancy. "This idea was enthusiastically received by the band and their management, who have always been supportive of the indie community -- as the indies have been of Wilco for over a decade."

Clancy adds that traditional retail remains important to Nonesuch, as about 80% of its sales are still physical.

Other labels are getting into the act with exclusives of their own. Matador is releasing a 7-inch with Sonic Youth covering Beck's "Pay No Mind" on the A-side and Beck doing Sonic Youth's "Green Light" on the B-side; a previously unreleased LP of a 1997 Pavement gig from Cologne, Germany; and another 7-inch with Jay Reatard's "Hang Them All" on one side and Sonic Youth's "No Garage" on the other. Two thousand five hundred copies of each record will be available at participating Record Store Day outlets.

Music Monitor Network president Michael Kurtz says Record Store Day exclusives include a double 10-inch pressing of My Morning Jacket's "Evil Urges," a series of Radiohead EPs on vinyl and reusable Record Store Day shopping bags produced by WEA.

i'm such a type neurotic. why, why does the wilco live portion of the text not line up with the edge of the A in American. its like it wants to be a tight flush grouping of typography, but then its not. and every other word is a different color. and there's a space between "ashes" and "of" and "wilco" and "live" but not the other two words. ooohhh, bad type bad. yet its so close to being the standard wilco perfect helvetica typography. type neurotic rant over. the image is lovely.

The Wilco Live is framed within the left bridge support. The As from Ashes and American follows the outside lines of the bridge support, tying the type in with the image.

"My introduction to a lot of great music and to the 'music business' came from hanging around and eventually working at independent record stores in Belleville, Ill., and St. Louis many years back," Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy tells Billboard.com. "It's the life I know. Nothing beats browsing in your favorite store, listening to music, finding something new or old that you've been searching for, being ignored by the store clerks, all that. And without these stores, there's just no way Wilco would still be around. They've been with us from the very beginning, through thick and thin. Even if I wasn't in a band, I'd still support Record Store Day. It's a great thing and I'm glad we could do something special with them for our DVD."

HA! Love this quote.

Nonesuch put up a tracklist:

1 Ashes of American Flags

2 Side with the Seeds

3 Handshake Drugs

4 The Late Greats

5 Kingpin

6 Wishful Thinking

7 Impossible Germany

8 Via Chicago

9 A Shot in the Arm

10 Monday