Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vocals are what annoyed me. I've only listened to the album twice, so this very well might change.:)

Wow. As is stands, Solitaire stands as my current fave. Give the tune some time to breathe, you shall eventually dig. I myself have to follow my own advice. I see this album as a well produced blend of BT/ST with BBN thrown in to appease the critics to wonder if they still "have it" (YHF/ABIB era avant pop). BBN leaves me feeling kind of empty for reasons that it's quite derivative of past tunes and to these ears lacks some inspiration (for now). We'll see, it's only this first inning.

I wondered if it was a Theremin as well, but I hadn't thought about a saw.

'the Chet' of the Eels plays a saw once in awhile, and it does sound like that.

Well part of this was recorded in Neil Finn's Roundhead studios in New Zealand. Neil's brother Tim recently recorded some stuff there and he had a saw player do some work for him. Maybe the same person was used?

I wanted to read this whole thread before throwing in my two cents but it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I love the album. There's not a song on here that annoys me and they're all working their spidery tendrils up into my brain.

I wanted to read this whole thread before throwing in my two cents but it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I love the album. There's not a song on here that annoys me and they're all working their spidery tendrils up into my brain.

This maybe heresy, but it's the ONLY Wilco album where there isn't a single song I'm kind of meh about. There's probably nothing that blows me away as much as "Misunderstood", but there's nothing as groan worthy as "Was I In Your Dreams?". It's a really solid album.

Anyone notice that "Country Disappeared" is the exact same song as "Mornington Crescent" from Belle and Sebastian?

Yep.

Huh, on listen #4, "Country Disappeared" sounds a lot like Belle & Sebastian's "Mornington Crescent."
This maybe heresy, but it's the ONLY Wilco album where there isn't a single song I'm kind of meh about. There's probably nothing that blows me away as much as "Misunderstood", but there's nothing as groan worthy as "Was I In Your Dreams?". It's a really solid album.

I still think everything on YHF is excellent, there's not a duff track on that, but I understand what you mean.

--Mike

You're right. However with the hoopla and "pedestrian" sound that inhabits 70% of this record, get ready. You ain't seen nothin yet.

I'm not worried. I was elbowing high fiving 2nd semester sophomore douch bags recently weaned off of Appetite For Destruction out of my space at shows before that shit even started. As far as Wilco goes the new record is more of the same, this band was never the avant garde spokesband the Wilco-come-lately's on the scene post YHF think they were. Wilco sounding like Wilco has been the trend since 95 son.

there's nothing as groan worthy as "Was I In Your Dreams?"

I like playing that on guitar. It's the bom -G, bom -A, bom -A#, bom -B, bom -C riff, followed by 'was I in your dreams' that makes it.

Groan worthy, not.

I'll be honest, at first listen I was not really impressed. As I listened the 2nd, 3rd , etc time, this album is truly amazing. I love everything about it from beginning to end. I can't understate the passion felt when listening to "I'LL Fight", I think one of Jeff's better lyrical works. I am so glad I listened to the stream, cannot wait to hear these live. Amazing work! Much more thought out than SBS.

My two cents:

I've listened about 20 times now. Great rock record. Its nice to see a band having fun and just enjoying making good songs sound great. Its the most upbeat record since BT (cause Summer Teeth lyrics are such downers). Lots of "All Things must Pass" influence. I think the track sequencing could have been a little different, but it aint my band and it aint my record, so I'll just enjoy it as is.

Guest Speed Racer

"Sunny Feeling" has parked itself in my head in a BAD way! This is the most satisfying earworm I've had in about a year! Of course, the last one that plagued me was "Fuck the Pain Away," so the bar has been pretty low since January. :lol

As a self-confessed grumpy old git - and hyper-critical one where music is concerned, I can report, for reasons not fully-formed yet, that there is hardly a second that I don't love on the new record.

I don't give a monkey's if it's too eclectic, not experimental enough, or parts of some of the songs sound like songs I don't like. Overall it works for me, in a way that probably "A New World Record" did in 1977.

I like most of it, but I would have swapped out "Country Disappeared" - which seems to me to be a rewrite of that "Comment" song - for whichever B-side rocks the hardest.

I like the album, but it's not their best...but that was to be expected. It's solid album and I like it much better than SBS. I need to spend more time soaking it in. I felt like I never did that with SBS.

I like the album, but it's not their best...but that was to be expected. It's solid album and I like it much better than SBS. I need to spend more time soaking it in. I felt like I never did that with SBS.

Anyone who went into this thinking they were going to top Foxtrot is a little out of touch. That being said, I think this album stands up next to A Ghost is Born and Being There, and maybe even Summerteeth.