Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

I like most of it, but I would have swapped out "Country Disappeared" - which seems to me to be a rewrite of that "Comment" song - for whichever B-side rocks the hardest.

Man, I really, really love

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yes

Ask my kids, they'll tell you...every time that song comes on, I find myself saying to whoever's there, "Why do some people not care for this song? It's gorgeous! It's so elegant!"

Glad at least one other person loves "Country..." as much as I do.

I do! First off, I love the songs lyrics and secondly I just love how Jeff sings it. There's something about his vocals that I find hauntingly beautiful. Loved it ever since the live version! I'm happy you love it too! :thumbup I can't wait to hear it on tour this summer!

I do! First off, I love the songs lyrics and secondly I just love how Jeff sings it. There's something about his vocals that I find hauntingly beautiful. Loved it ever since the live version! I'm happy you love it too! :thumbup I can't wait to hear it on tour this summer!

It's a great melody, great chord progression, great lyric, great performance. I don't know what's not to love. :thumbup

But the lyrics on Country Dissapeared deserved a better melody. It's not as bad as You & I but apart from that one it's probably my least favorite song on this album.

Solitaire is quite beautiful though, kinda reminds me of the pre-Pink Moon Nick Drake.

But the lyrics on Country Dissapeared deserved a better melody.

Wow, I love the harmonies in that song, and pretty much everything about how it's sung.

BBN is my favorite, though. The only song I'm not feeling is Everlasting Everything.

The duo of Country and Solitaire is easily my favorite portion of the record. Those lyrics are great.

:lol Just shows how different tastes can be. These two, along with "I'll Fight," constitute the part of the album that just doesn't do it for me.

Glad at least one other person loves "Country..." as much as I do.

You know, I'm one of the folks who felt it was a lesser song on the record a few days back, and it has really grown on me.

In fact after taking the album in many times, I find I'm picking single songs to listen to on short drives. The only one I don't play alot is W(the song). I like it just fine, but I feel like it's a playful introduction to the real album that follows.

My girlfriend had never heard the album. I had it on in the car this evening, and when "I'll Fight" came on she immediately said "Is this the Cameron song?" :lol

I'm never going to be able to listen to that song again without thinking of Cameron Frye.

RE: Deeper Down

I think it's a saw...

I wondered if it was a Theremin as well, but I hadn't thought about a saw.

It might be the "slide cimbalom" that Jason Tobias is listed as playing in the credits?

(then again, it might not!)

What's strange?

You seem to think the album is called Bull Black Nova..?

Wow, I love the harmonies in that song, and pretty much everything about how it's sung.

BBN is my favorite, though. The only song I'm not feeling is Everlasting Everything.

I can see Everlasting being a great show closer (at least before the encores).

I like the soulful feel of "Country" but part of it reminds me of "I Can't Tell You Why" by the Eagles.

Yeah, I would swap out "Deeper Down," too. It reminds me of the songs I skip over on BT, but it does have some very good imagery.

In fact after taking the album in many times, I find I'm picking single songs to listen to on short drives. The only one I don't play alot is W(the song). I like it just fine, but I feel like it's a playful introduction to the real album that follows.

I can't listen to W(TS) without hearing the 'Colbert' lyrics in there, since that was the first time i heard them play it.

Colbert loves you baby!

But the lyrics on Country Dissapeared deserved a better melody. It's not as bad as You & I but apart from that one it's probably my least favorite song on this album.

I love the melody and harmonies. The song gets stronger as it progresses, and I like it more each time I listen. Then again, I think You & I is beautiful as well.

Like other posters, Everlasting Everything is my least favorite on the album right now.

I still yearn and pine for a Jim O'Rourke album. This album feels like something Phil Spector produced, and then thirty years later, they went back and tried to remove Spector's touch.

That being said, as a whole, I think it's got some of Tweedy's best songwriting, and I think this puts to rest the debate about Jay being needed to bring in the melody.

Guest Speed Racer

Today I noticed that the Bull Black Nova intro reminds me a lot of the intro to the studio cut of Elliott Smith's Division Day.

Today I noticed that the Bull Black Nova intro reminds me a lot of the intro to the studio cut of Elliott Smith's Division Day.

I've been telling anyone I know that will listen it's The Baseball Furies Chase score from the film The Warriors. It's uncanny.

And I pretty much love this album, warts and all. It's not perfect by any means, but I do love it.

I still yearn and pine for a Jim O'Rourke album. This album feels like something Phil Spector produced, and then thirty years later, they went back and tried to remove Spector's touch.

41M3B3XDNML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

?

(Let It Be...Naked is a damn fine album, thank you very much).