Jeff and Cameras

What's wrong with you people? You want a nice photo of tweedy to put next to Grandma in the family photo album. Put the stupid camera/video/phone away and enjoy the damn the show. Why do you clowns feel the need to document every f-ing moment in the your f-ing stupid phone/camera/video contraption. I didn't know so many people suffer from short-term memory loss. Morons.

Nobody will believe that I was at the show if I don't take a photo or 400.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with you people? You want a nice photo of tweedy to put next to Grandma in the family photo album. Put the stupid camera/video/phone away and enjoy the damn the show. Why do you clowns feel the need to document every f-ing moment in the your f-ing stupid phone/camera/video contraption. I didn't know so many people suffer from short-term memory loss. Morons.

So, I'm going to guess you don't have a camera?

Guest Speed Racer

That girl from Memphis won't believe she was at the show if she didn't take a photo or 400.

Edited to add: Friendly Neighborhood Reminder on Word Choice:

morans.jpg

i'm cool with no cameras. i was lucky enough to be front and center for a tweedy solo show in tulsa. i was borderline-riducled for being caught by a VC member's camera taking a pic of jeff to remember the event. a few years in hindsight, I agree with Jeff. That was my memory and I fucked it up by trying to take a picture during an acoustic Acuff-Rose. The picture sucks, the memory is awesome, and I wish I had never wasted the :30 taking the picture.

I don't see how Jeff being upset leads to calls of banning photography. Although, it should not really surprise me. I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain when someone posts the photos they took at a show, usually people ask for more. If you get into some deal with a professional, then you are going to get into the issue of people snagging the photos and posting them all over the place. Which, we will get someone in trouble somewhere. I still really think he got upset due to so many people creating a ruckus, and people filming. I have not been to a Wilco shows in almost 3 years, but I don't recall such things going on at the shows I was at. I guess things have changed.

Interesting to note also that the only people I saw firing up the friendly herb were bald and greyer than me.

Boomers are the scourge of the earth (speaking as a boomer).

Boomers are the scourge of the earth (speaking as a boomer).

Have you been hanging out with ikol? :)

This is a timely subject for me, indeed. This Saturday, I saw Robyn Hitchcock in Seattle and had my digital SLR camera with me. I've taken alot of photos at shows and I have learned to turn off all flashes, autofocus lights, and the review screen, and I try to be low key. However, we were 3rd row standing center, and something about the scene just hit me and I wasn't into holding the camera up in Robyn's face. In a weird way, it felt disrespectful to the show since I was front and center. Part of it was definitely the guy next to me who would not stop taking pictures for the first many songs, and other people holding up phones and filming way too much. Part of it was that the show was so frickin amazing I didn't want to distract myself.

I don't know. bit I'll probably take pictures again at shows because photography's been a hobby for many pre-digital and post-digital years, but it was relaxing and enjoyable to just forget about it and watch Robyn and band play.

And it was an amazing show - the REM band with Robyn worshippy.gif instead of Michael Stipe, which for me is a helluva lot better.

Ahem.... no pictures to post of it I'm afraid.....

The last time I remember this sort of thing flaring up big time was years ago (way back in '04?) in DC, someone was snapping photos of a friend and they were trying to get Jeff in the background. It made Jeff feel very uncomfortable, so he made some angry comments, and of course they kept doing it. Jeff said something along the lines of "What am I, a monkey in the zoo?" or something to that effect, and even allegedly kicked towards the guy's head in anger (not connecting, of course). I wasn't there but it was pretty well documented on VC.

Jeff's never said anything at any show I've been at, but he's shot a few videographers a dirty look or two...

Let your eyes and ears be your method of document.

Take it all in.

Enjoy yourself.

Then, later, if any of the lovely tapers have recorded the show (thanks to Wilco's incredibly fan-friendly taping policy) you can sit back and re-live the songs with memories that YOU have and not the memories your memory-card has.

Trying to a snap a picture or two is fine. They probably won't come out great but if you want to sacrifice a couple seconds of attention here or there then that is up to the you.

Wilco will love you. Babies.

I don't see how Jeff being upset leads to calls of banning photography. Although, it should not really surprise me. I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain when someone posts the photos they took at a show, usually people ask for more. If you get into some deal with a professional, then you are going to get into the issue of people snagging the photos and posting them all over the place. Which, we will get someone in trouble somewhere. I still really think he got upset due to so many people creating a ruckus, and people filming. I have not been to a Wilco shows in about 4 years, but I don't recall such things going on at the shows I was at. I guess things have changed.

I agree. I take a lot of pics at shows, but I really do try not be a bother to anyone. I am certain, beyond a doubt, that at shows we went to on our recent Wilco the Vacation last summer, he was totally POSING for us and getting a kick out of it. But we were in positive situations with great crowd vibe and great crowd involvement in the shows. I take pics because it is a hobby that brings me a lot of joy (which I sure need given my day job). I even take good shots at times and have generally found people have fun looking at them, because we love the band and the shows and friends we've made at the shows (I like taking crowd shots from the balcony when I can). I would feel badly if I ever offended the band or caused someone else's experience to be affected. I try to be patient with the people who push me, talk while I am listening and text through the shows, but of course they annoy me and I suppose I might be annoying people without realzing it. I think Jeff seems annoyed a lot when people don't seem to be into the music, whatever it is they are doing, and when whatever it is they are doing is affecting others' experince of the music.

I am glad I saw this though so I'll leave the camera home for Chicago shows.

FWIW in Memphis sat, there were ALOT of people taping...you can tell the difference between a few snaps, and people simply holding their cameras up for extended periods...im 5'4' and it does suck when even though yo have great seats, you cant see shit because everyone around you has their LCDs up about their heads...he is right, however, its a battle that can't be won...

however, once jeff made his first request, and explained (sort of) himself, almost everyone adhered to the rule, except flask girl of course...matter of fact, when jeff jokingly asked people to film his rant about video, few people around me would...

I dont think there will be any ban or rule change...think jeff's reaction, while over the top, was meant to inspire the crowd and to force them to rely on their memories and emotional responses to the music...I get that, i think most folk do...

Also, a bit off point, but consider that in a theater that holds thousands, how many people in attendance ultimately have the respect and love for the band as VCers do...in any large group of people, there simply will be plenty of assholes and idiots...in this case it had nothing to do with being in Memphis, or any particular city...

The Memphis crowd was leaps and bounds better than the on in Oxford back in April...

I didn't take any pictures in memphis because, well, the iphone takes crap pictures from row L, or row A for that matter. In KC though, I was right up front and since my husband had to miss the show, I pulled out my phone when they played California Stars so that I could call him and let him "listen"...I didn't hold the phone up in the air or anything, just in front of me but I'm sure Jeff could see and I'm sure he thought I was trying to snag a video recording. Next time, I think I'll wear a shirt that says "I'm NOT video taping! I'm letting my husband participate in this amazing moment from 400 miles away. I"M A GOOD FAN!!" For what it's worth, I think taking an occasional picture is all good and well but when it interferes with someone else's enjoyment of the concert they paid to see and ends up interrupting an entire show because the singer has to stop and address one idiot, then it's a problem.

I love photography. I love Wilco. Why can't I combine the two? The only time I'm NOT obtrusive at a concert is when I am taking a picture, the rest of the time I'm dancing around like I'm having a seizure. If your standing near me, trust me, you want me to take pictures.

Everyones talking about what Jeff likes, but there are 5 other blokes up on stage with him, maybe they love being filmed or having their pic taken.

Not sure how to interpret this pic I took in Sweden though.

img9313.jpg"]img9313.jpg[/url]

The last time I remember this sort of thing flaring up big time was years ago (way back in '04?) in DC, someone was snapping photos of a friend and they were trying to get Jeff in the background. It made Jeff feel very uncomfortable, so he made some angry comments, and of course they kept doing it. Jeff said something along the lines of "What am I, a monkey in the zoo?" or something to that effect, and even allegedly kicked towards the guy's head in anger (not connecting, of course). I wasn't there but it was pretty well documented on VC.

It was this show: Wilco Base: June 30, 2003 Washington D.C Constitution Hall. If I remember the boot correctly it happened during the middle of Misunderstood, it's probably the angriest I've ever heard Tweedy sound on a live show bootleg, and they cut the show short after Misunderstood finished (there were apparently three more songs on the setlist).

I am not opposed to people doing whatever makes them enjoy a concert the most as long as it doesn't disturb others around them including the band. But if you're picture taking is distracting enough that the band is noticing, it's probably going too far.

--Mike

If this was a poll, I take it this would be a vote for "opposed".

In '04 at one of their LA shows I actually got to be in the front row. I'm NEVER in the front row. For anything. So damn it, I was going to make the most of it and take my camera and get some pics. It's just a little digital point-n-shoot snapshoty type camera, so I knew that with no flash 99% of them would be totally blurry crap. I didn't block anyone's view and got, what I thought, were some pretty good shots. I like the artsy blur. At one point during Hummingbird Jeff walked directly over to me and shook my hand. I was the only person he did that with all night (except Kidsmoke's daughter got to sing with him, but that's different.) It wasn't until later that it dawned on me WHEN in Hummingbird he shook my hand... during the line, "his goal in life was to be an echo."

Oops. Oh well. I'm still glad I took the pics. I have good mementos and, much like keeping score at a baseball game, taking pictures keeps me more focused on my surroundings. But if I do get back to the front row, I'll probably just look at someone else's pictures on-line the next day.

back before i started shooting shows seriously, i almost never took a camera to a gig...i can only recall bringing my wife's cheap film camera to a couple (Zeni Geva, Gas Huffer, maybe one or two other ones).

the first time i saw Wilco we scalped front row seats @ Boston's Orpheum Theatre, and i was gonna bring my little film canon elph. security found it in my pocket during a frisk, and wouldn't let me in with it. this was 2002. i had to tell the guy i was gonna hide the battery outside, since i took public transit and had no place to stash the camera in a safe place.

he let me in.

of course, i had the battery w/ me, but didn't put it in and take any photos, even though i was close enough to untie Jeff's shoelaces.

I think Jeff's okay with a few pictures taken sans flash. In Memphis, he never said anything about photos. Although he probably doesn't understand the desire to take photos because he did say that "...you don't need to document everything..." For me the most annoying thing in regards to camera phones are that people feel the need to take 10 or more pictures of themselves at the freaking concert. This is what the drunk girl in the front of our section was doing. Between her and her date they had to have gotten 20-25 pictures of themselves: holding up a beer, standing with arms up in the air, hugging a friend, smiling with stage in background, dancing individually, dancing as a couple...Honestly, nobody, gives a shit that you attended the Wilco concert and did theses things.

I think Jeff's okay with a few pictures taken sans flash. In Memphis, he never said anything about photos. Although he probably doesn't understand the desire to take photos because he did say that "...you don't need to document everything..." For me the most annoying thing in regards to camera phones are that people feel the need to take 10 or more pictures of themselves at the freaking concert. This is what the drunk girl in the front of our section was doing. Between her and her date they had to have gotten 20-25 pictures of themselves: holding up a beer, standing with arms up in the air, hugging a friend, smiling with stage in background, dancing individually, dancing as a couple...Honestly, nobody, gives a shit that you attended the Wilco concert and did theses things.

I bet she does.

For me the most annoying thing in regards to camera phones are that people feel the need to take 10 or more pictures of themselves at the freaking concert. This is what the drunk girl in the front of our section was doing. Between her and her date they had to have gotten 20-25 pictures of themselves: holding up a beer, standing with arms up in the air, hugging a friend, smiling with stage in background, dancing individually, dancing as a couple...Honestly, nobody, gives a shit that you attended the Wilco concert and did theses things.

Welcome to the Flickr/Twitter/Facebook times.

I know for a fact Tweedy does not give a shit about still photography at his gigs...

Other wise his is being a bit hypocritical. He took my favorite Wilco fan shot with Clay B's camera in Wichita almost three years to the date of this Memphis gig. :dancing

Funny i don't see a lot of PDA's being held up at this gig in this picture. Times have changed with the price drop of this technology in three years. Today the same picture would be polluted with hands in the air with PDA's attached. :dontgetit

271921672_6ac9a0a43e.jpg