Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Everybody who's still looking for lodging or lodging closer to the festival than where they're currently scheduled to stay should remember to call the Holiday Inn in North Adams tomorrow or check their website. Tomorrow is the cut-off for cancellations for people who have weekend reservations. I do hope that if this happens again, they consider moving it to somewhere easier to reach from far away and where there are more (and more affordable) hotels. A few of my really good friends can't make it because North Adams is too difficult and/or expensive to get to, which is really a shame.

I'm hitting the road in a little while and heading to Northampton for a few days. See everybody this weekend :cheers

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll have space in our camping spot. You just have to get to Windsor Lake campground. We have two tents at this point but they reserved us an RV spot which they said has more space so it would be fine. You would just have to find a way to get there as we are flying into Hartford and arrivingi Friday night around 8ish or later.

I called MassMoca about suggestions for how to get to the event from the campgrounds and they didn't seem to have any ideas. The best suggestion they had to offer was to drive to one of the satellite parking lots which are on the map and a bit out of the way. She said you can walk there but again stressed it was a pretty steep hike. Then she said there was a shortcut but it was even steeper lol. She said some of the hotels or campgrounds might be offering their own shuttles but they didn't have the resources or think about that campgrounds. I then called the campground and they don't currently plan on running any shuttles but she forwarded me to someone with the city and I left a message for somebody. I guess we'll see if I get a call back and if any other ideas are offered.

I remember at Woodstock in '94 we were at a campsite about 5 or so miles away, they supplied an hourly shuttle back and forth between the site. I have no idea how it worked out because in a drunken stupor in the middle of the night (the night before the event even started) we torn down our camp site and set up at Woodstock. The point being they knew why they were booked that weekend and they did the right thing, I have no idea why all campgrounds wouldn't do this.

If anyone is driving up from NYC or the area on Saturday (early, preferred) and wants to split/share a ride, let me know! If nothing pans out, I was going to rent a car... hoping to be in MA by noon. (Yes, I have to skip Friday...:()

Thanks!

marc

The Berkshire Eagle stated today that Mass MoCA has sold 4200 tickets so far for the festival. Nice size crowd if the attendance stays around this level.

Sounds like a way better number than the billion people at Lollapalooza the first time I saw Wilco. Very excited for this weekend!!

Since we are here to guess

Lets Guess on Special Guests On the Original SLots did I not see special guests listed on Friday Night

But on the Final Set in Stone Official List is there is no special guests are we now the special guest..?

Dam Now I get Get It

We are the Special Guests woo hoo!

Here is the National Weather Service wkend 4cast Updated as of 11:05 Wens Night

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USMA0282

looking good in the neighborhood!

Been waiting all summer for this weekend! We moved to western Ma. 3 years ago but this will be our first visit to Mass Moca and what a way to do it!

We are so excited about the bands, the art, the comedians, the fans and everything else.

We are so excited about the bands, the art, the comedians, the fans and everything else.

Yes, especially Kristen Schaal! I love her as a correspondent on The Daily Show and of course as Mel on Flight of the Conchords. And she has a new book out, co-written with her husband or boyfriend, who also writes for TDS, called (I think) "The Sexy Book of Sexy Sex."

She could definitely do some riffing on obsessed female fans. :love You know who you are. (Yes, I'm looking in the mirror.)

Just received this from Wilco HQ:

WILCO: Solid Sound Update

A dozen reasons to get off the couch and head to Solid Sound this weekend

12. The Perseid Meteor shower peaks tomorrow night (Thursday). But to really see it, you have to get away from the city lights..

11. There's a sales tax holiday in Mass. this weekend (14/15), so you can shop and rock for less.

10. Two words: Jacket Weather. Escape the dog days in the city and head for the mountains: fantastic forecast for North Adams this weekend (sunny, highs in the upper 70s, lows around 60)

9. Admit it, you're itching for one last road trip before summer ends and reality beckons. Check these promotions with Zip Car for rentals and ZimRide for sharing.

8. Speaking of road trips; the journey can be just as fun as the destination. There are 3 drive-in movie theaters en route to North Adams -- (Hyde Park Drive-in (NY), Pleasant Valley Drive-in (CT), and Northfield Drive-in (NH/MA/VT border). Or for a different slice of Americana, local minor league baseball teams at home this weekend include the Tri-City Valleycats (Troy, NY), Lowell Spinners (MA) and Pittsfield Colonials (MA).

7. If you're the outdoorsy type, there is great hiking, kayaking, camping etc. all over the area. Mass., VT, and NY state recreation websites can direct you or check this out here.

6. Plus, there's fine dining from one extreme to the other: Pedrin's Dairy Bar (home of the fish fry) and Jack's hot dog stand in North Adams , Mezze in Williamstown, and the Gramercy Bistro at MASS MoCA.

5. Once you're in the festival, you can come and go as you please. Want to go the the Clark Museum, the ropes course at Jiminy Peak or get all spiritual at the Hancock Shaker Museum? No problem... split for a while and come back.

4. When you're at MASS MoCA you'll join people from at least 40 states and 10 countries at the festival, making it both an international and cross-country scene (new friends, perhaps?) There, in addition to the festival, you'll have full run of the museum... including Time Magazine's #1 museum installation of the year, the Sol Lewitt Retrospective.

3. How about the festival programming? The great music, from Wilco to the band members individual projects to Mavis Staples, Sir Richard Bishop and a ton more cool stuff, plus the comedy and performance spaces where you can see Todd Barry, Kristen Schaal, John Mulaney and Hannibal Buress and multiple performances by the Bread and Puppet Theatre Co. and Story Pirates. Not to mention exhib its including Glenn Kotche's "prepared drums" (which you can play), Nels Cline's Stompbox Station... (again you can play), Polaroid photos from Patrick Sansone, Cassandra C. Jones's video installation, a pair of Luthiers explaining their work, live poster screen-printing, a dunk tank, a record store where you can listen to lots of vinyl (etc.) on a Solid Sound system, plus... A veritable world of fun. Oh and if you get weary, we've got some of North America's best coffee from the Intelligentsia Coffee bar/lab., plenty of local food/drink vendors and a bar. Complete schedule here.

2. Mavis Staples performance at Lollapalooza last weekend (inc. a guest appearance by "Tweedy", as Mavis refers to him) was, according to all reports, one of the highlights of the festival. Just sayin'....

1. And, lucky you, it's not too late. Tickets are still available and will be at the box office all weekend. Be there.

Some more news articles are cropping up. This very good one from the Boston Herald, with a Tweedy interview that says he's looking forward to taking in some of the festival himself (!!): http://www.bostonher...e&position=also

and this, from the Albany Times-Union, which refers (hilariously, to me) to "Tweedy's sheer drive, damaged psyche and unerring sense of melody" : http://www.timesunio...MoCA-611589.php

Methinks the publicity machine is cranking up big time!

Just received this from Wilco HQ:

WILCO: Solid Sound Update

A dozen reasons to get off the couch and head to Solid Sound this weekend

12. The Perseid Meteor shower peaks tomorrow night (Thursday). But to really see it, you have to get away from the city lights..

11. There's a sales tax holiday in Mass. this weekend (14/15), so you can shop and rock for less.

10. Two words: Jacket Weather. Escape the dog days in the city and head for the mountains: fantastic forecast for North Adams this weekend (sunny, highs in the upper 70s, lows around 60)

9. Admit it, you're itching for one last road trip before summer ends and reality beckons. Check these promotions with Zip Car for rentals and ZimRide for sharing.

8. Speaking of road trips; the journey can be just as fun as the destination. There are 3 drive-in movie theaters en route to North Adams -- (Hyde Park Drive-in (NY), Pleasant Valley Drive-in (CT), and Northfield Drive-in (NH/MA/VT border). Or for a different slice of Americana, local minor league baseball teams at home this weekend include the Tri-City Valleycats (Troy, NY), Lowell Spinners (MA) and Pittsfield Colonials (MA).

7. If you're the outdoorsy type, there is great hiking, kayaking, camping etc. all over the area. Mass., VT, and NY state recreation websites can direct you or check this out here.

6. Plus, there's fine dining from one extreme to the other: Pedrin's Dairy Bar (home of the fish fry) and Jack's hot dog stand in North Adams , Mezze in Williamstown, and the Gramercy Bistro at MASS MoCA.

5. Once you're in the festival, you can come and go as you please. Want to go the the Clark Museum, the ropes course at Jiminy Peak or get all spiritual at the Hancock Shaker Museum? No problem... split for a while and come back.

4. When you're at MASS MoCA you'll join people from at least 40 states and 10 countries at the festival, making it both an international and cross-country scene (new friends, perhaps?) There, in addition to the festival, you'll have full run of the museum... including Time Magazine's #1 museum installation of the year, the Sol Lewitt Retrospective.

3. How about the festival programming? The great music, from Wilco to the band members individual projects to Mavis Staples, Sir Richard Bishop and a ton more cool stuff, plus the comedy and performance spaces where you can see Todd Barry, Kristen Schaal, John Mulaney and Hannibal Buress and multiple performances by the Bread and Puppet Theatre Co. and Story Pirates. Not to mention exhib its including Glenn Kotche's "prepared drums" (which you can play), Nels Cline's Stompbox Station... (again you can play), Polaroid photos from Patrick Sansone, Cassandra C. Jones's video installation, a pair of Luthiers explaining their work, live poster screen-printing, a dunk tank, a record store where you can listen to lots of vinyl (etc.) on a Solid Sound system, plus... A veritable world of fun. Oh and if you get weary, we've got some of North America's best coffee from the Intelligentsia Coffee bar/lab., plenty of local food/drink vendors and a bar. Complete schedule here.

2. Mavis Staples performance at Lollapalooza last weekend (inc. a guest appearance by "Tweedy", as Mavis refers to him) was, according to all reports, one of the highlights of the festival. Just sayin'....

1. And, lucky you, it's not too late. Tickets are still available and will be at the box office all weekend. Be there.

#6 can't be stressed enough. Jack's alone is worth the trip.