• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son dragged my ass up to Boston last night to see Dr. Dog again at the Royale. I have to say if I was to pick another band other than Wilco to obsess over I think it would be them. They are fast becoming my next favorite band. Will they challenge my allegiance to the boys from Chicago? I'll give them a couple of more albums before I make any drastic decisions but damn they are good live. Cotton John opened but we got up there late because of traffic on the Mass. Pike and only heard three songs. They were ok but kind of mellow for my tastes. I think I was the oldest person in the theater. Huge college crowd into Dr. Dog big time. I kind of compare them to Wilco around 1997. Almost there but not quite. Maybe they have their YHF coming up next.

My son dragged my ass up to Boston last night to see Dr. Dog again at the Royale. I have to say if I was to pick another band other than Wilco to obsess over I think it would be them. They are fast becoming my next favorite band. Will they challenge my allegiance to the boys from Chicago? I'll give them a couple of more albums before I make any drastic decisions but damn they are good live. Cotton John opened but we got up there late because of traffic on the Mass. Pike and only heard three songs. They were ok but kind of mellow for my tastes. I think I was the oldest person in the theater. Huge college crowd into Dr. Dog big time. I kind of compare them to Wilco around 1997. Almost there but not quite. Maybe they have their YHF coming up next.

Saw them last year at the Paradise in Boston, on my college son's recommendation. Good band, good show, but don't think they (yet) have the song book to hook me as a favorite band. Don't know if they will. Definitely not in the Tweedy/Wilco league.

Btw, what time did they come on? Seeing Heartless Bastards at Royale also a 6:00 show, wondering what to figure.

I thought about going to that but ended up deciding not too. I have yet to really hear any Dr. Dog that really moves me that much at all

Saw them last year at the Paradise in Boston, on my college son's recommendation. Good band, good show, but don't think they (yet) have the song book to hook me as a favorite band. Don't know if they will. Definitely not in the Tweedy/Wilco league.

Btw, what time did they come on? Seeing Heartless Bastards at Royale also a 6:00 show, wondering what to figure.

Dr. Dog came on a little after 8PM and played to about 9:40. They might not be on the level of Wilco, but who is? They have quite a few songs I would rank up there pretty high with my favorites however. Pretty catchy tunes with decent lyrics and I like both singers voices. Like I said, I will give them a couple of more albums to see what they can do but I've been listening to them in the car and on the iPod pretty regularly since the summer and haven't tired of them yet. Seeing them live has only added to my opinion of them.

Saw Bruce last night...

Sunday Peter Gabriel

Wed David Byrne/St Vincient

Wow, now this is a week to remember!

I'm so bummed to miss Peter Gabriel this time around, with the "So" album being played in full. :wub

Wow, now this is a week to remember!

I'm so bummed to miss Peter Gabriel this time around, with the "So" album being played in full. :wub

Yeah its not too shabby! Gabriel last night was good. Voice still sounds great and the stuff off of So was reworked a little. Very Bass heavy too which was nice. They started with an Acoustic set too with an interesting version of Shock the Monkey. :guitar

Bloodshot records birthday party!

Firewater play there? My fav Bloodshot Records band!

Just saw Al Green at a blues festival in Columbia Missouri. Left early because I thought he sounded like shit but on my way out stopped to listen to Sam Bush. What a talent that guy is!

You're in Columbia?!?

Where was the festival?

I went to Mizzou and haven't been back since 91. Really want to get back down there.

Dinosaur jr tonight at Lee's Palace, first of a 3-night run. Teeth will likely have rattled right out of my head by Thursday. First impression of the new album is not great, but hoping to get a wide range of songs over the 3 shows. Hope they don't ignore Farm & Beyond, love those albums.

Dinosaur jr tonight at Lee's Palace, first of a 3-night run. Teeth will likely have rattled right out of my head by Thursday. First impression of the new album is not great, but hoping to get a wide range of songs over the 3 shows. Hope they don't ignore Farm & Beyond, love those albums.

I'm still on the fence about getting tix for them, let me know how you like it.

How was the show?

Loved it although I'm a fairly recent convert to the Grateful Dead so I'm kind of like a Born again on the subject. And I only saw GD at the Bill Graham tribute concert so don't have much to compare it too either.

But having said that, I was blown away at the China Cat --->I know you rider. And I loved hearing Dark Star live. Wish I could have hit all 3 nights actually.

I'm still on the fence about getting tix for them, let me know how you like it.

I would highly recommend getting a ticket, but then I think J has been the world's greatest living guitarist since August 1995, and as such I would always go. Show tonight was great, front loaded with new stuff then wall to wall classics in the 2nd half. I don't much like the 1st album but have to say that Gargoyle was probably the highlight of the night for the epic guitar solo, just incredible. Wow that man can shred. Mucho grateful for Sludgefeast, Kracked, Tarpit & In a Jar too, and though I'm hoping to hear Lou sing Rude off the new album in the next couple of nights, I was really happy to get Back To Your Heart tonight. Hope J follows suit & pulls out Plans or Almost Ready or Not Alone on night 2, let's feel the love for the reunion albums. Setlist:

Thumb

Don't Pretend You Didn't Know

Watch The Corners

Pierce The Morning Rain

What Was That

Back To Your Heart

Budge

Little Fury Things

Feel The Pain

Freak Scene

Kracked

Sludge Feast

Bulbs Of Passion

Gargoyle

Tarpit

In A Jar

Dinosuar night 2 was amazing, same 4 off the new album but outside of that only 2 repeats. Setlist:

Chunks

Wagon

Lung

Training Ground (Deep Wound song)

Don't Pretend

Corners

What Was That

Morning Rain

Mountain Man

Pond

Start Choppin!!! (live debut for classic lineup)

Just Like Heaven

Freak Scene

Forget The Swan

Feel The Pain

Out There

I would highly recommend getting a ticket, but then I think J has been the world's greatest living guitarist since August 1995, and as such I would always go. Show tonight was great, front loaded with new stuff then wall to wall classics in the 2nd half. I don't much like the 1st album but have to say that Gargoyle was probably the highlight of the night for the epic guitar solo, just incredible. Wow that man can shred. Mucho grateful for Sludgefeast, Kracked, Tarpit & In a Jar too, and though I'm hoping to hear Lou sing Rude off the new album in the next couple of nights, I was really happy to get Back To Your Heart tonight. Hope J follows suit & pulls out Plans or Almost Ready or Not Alone on night 2, let's feel the love for the reunion albums. Setlist:

Thumb

Don't Pretend You Didn't Know

Watch The Corners

Pierce The Morning Rain

What Was That

Back To Your Heart

Budge

Little Fury Things

Feel The Pain

Freak Scene

Kracked

Sludge Feast

Bulbs Of Passion

Gargoyle

Tarpit

In A Jar

I'm convinced thanks!

3rd & final night at Lee's, my head feels like it's been crushed in a vise and my liver is begging for mercy, nevertheless please come back soon guys!

Besnard Lakes from Montreal opened all 3 nights and were most enjoyable, J joined them for their last song tonight & upped their game as much as you'd expect, adding psychedelic leads over their MBV-ish thang. They were obviously thrilled to have him and didn't try to hide it. Nice.

No Bones

Get Me

Yeah We Know

Start Choppin

Rude!!

They Always Come

Don't Pretend

Watch The Corners

What Was That

Pierce The Morning Sky

Raisans!!!

Feel The Pain

Freak Scene

Gargoyle

The Lung (vocals by Kevin Drew of Broken Social Scene)

Chunks (vocals by Murph & Damian of Fucked Up, unknown on drums)

Lou introduced Rude as a live debut & guaranteed they'd fuck it up, of course they immediately false started it but then nailed it on 2nd try, one of the highlights for me, a great live tune, real punk rock. There was a sort of tuning jam for a minute or two between Pierce & Raisans that sounded a lot like See It On Your Side off the new album, perhaps they'll break that one out soon. K Drew tried to get J to duet on Lung vocals but J wasn't having it, nice try though Kevin! Lou has to be the most entertaining bassist ever, he just attacks the thing. Really impressed with his playing on the 90's tunes too, in particular he just KILLED Start Choppin. Tired as I am, I miss them already, it's been a great week.