What did you think of Punch Brothers?

They are an amazingly talented band who put on a great show with a ton of energy. They had moments of true brilliance (like the DeBussy cover). However, they often try stuff that can be called somewhat avant garde or experimental (like the Kid A cover). I prefer them playing the traditional Ameriana stuff over the other. More Carter Family and less Philip Glass. But a minor complaint. They are really good and I would recommend their live show.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's been 12 years since Electric Wizard last toured the US, but it was worth it. holy fuck was that awesome. if anyone gives a shit i will post some photos and a review later.

Very interested. They were here not long ago but I had to miss.

Never lets you down. I've been listening to Transcendental Blues (the album) a lot lately for whatever reason.

That was the first time I've seen him, and frankly, I knew next to nothing about his music before last night, aside from his fantastic reputation. I came to know of him, oddly enough, from his dramatic roles in The Wire and in Treme. One of his songs was used over the closing credits of one of the Treme episodes and I have never forgotten it. I was very surprised to find that I recognized two more of his songs last night -- I Ain't Ever Satisfied and Copperhead Road -- although I don't know how I know these songs. I was also somewhat surprised to learn that both of the characters he played on those shows were not a million miles away from who he really is.

I thought he was great last night.

That was the first time I've seen him, and frankly, I knew next to nothing about his music before last night, aside from his fantastic reputation. I came to know of him, oddly enough, from his dramatic roles in The Wire and in Treme. One of his songs was used over the closing credits of one of the Treme episodes and I have never forgotten it. I was very surprised to find that I recognized two more of his songs last night -- I Ain't Ever Satisfied and Copperhead Road -- although I don't know how I know these songs. I was also somewhat surprised to learn that both of the characters he played on those shows were not a million miles away from who he really is.

He's got a large body of work and, imo, very little that's not top-notch stuff. Dude has been through the ringer and emerged through the other side writing and playing better as time goes on.

nope, the musician.   :)

Lichens is the name of his solo act, but tonight he's billed under his name. he's also the third member of OM, having joined on the last two records. 

11150868_959676880731839_792908041959447

well that makes a lot more sense

He was great in Treme (a favorite show of mine).  I forgot he was on The Wire (another favorite), what season?  Seen him a few times, but not in a long while.

^^^ Steve Earle played a recovered addict/counselor on The Wire.  His character was instrumental in helping "Bubbles" through his issues.  I binge watched The Wire last year!!  

I've seen Steve multiple times in concert and was lucky enough to meet him and spend around 30 minutes with him a few years ago before a show. He's a terrific songwriter. 

This probably belongs in the "After The Show" section but I'm too lazy to start a thread:

Mark Kozelek played a mostly insult-free early show in Vancouver last night at what is normally a DJ dance club. 

I Know It's Pathetic
I Watched the Film The Song
The Possum
Richard Ramirez
Micheline
Gustavo
I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love
Hey You Bastards
Mariette
Sunshine in Chicago

By The Time I Awoke
Dogs
Carissa
War On Drugs: SMC
He Always Felt Like Dancing

Encore:
Ali/Spinks
Caroline

He did a few vocals-only songs, Micheline, was one. He tried to do Sunshine in Chicago this way but couldn't remember the lyrics. When he sat down and started playing it on guitar all the lyrics came back to him. He asked if anyone in the crowd was a drummer ("like a real drummer, not a motherf*cking drunk") and a brave dude climbed up on stage to do 4 or 5 songs with him. Koz was pretty relaxed, yukking it up a bit. Tripped on his mic cord and knocked his nylon-string guitar off its stand. Good show.