I have tickets for Hiss Golden Messenger tomorrow night. It's a local show and the tickets were cheap so I bought them on impulse but I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with them. I'll have a busy day and don't really want to waste my time on something I'm not likely to enjoy.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't log onto VC from my phone for some reason, so I didn't get to post here over the weekend. Went to a great free festival in Tallahassee called Word of South. This was the first year it's been held, hoping it will be an annual event.

Caught Canadian legend Bruce Cockburn (front row) both Saturday night by himself and then Sunday afternoon performing with Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Robert Olen Butler (front row again). Oh, and Marcus Roberts Trio on Sunday morning. Fun weekend.

yeah he's got some good records out. i really like the split w/ Steve Gunn (w/ the JJ Cale cover homage).

this is a good tune (Nathan Bowles on banjo!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhkSGkkf33M

Oh, thanks very much. I like this a lot. I'll check out a bit more between now and showtime tomorrow, but now "I know where I'll be to(morrow)night!"

Like that live album. I bet they are pretty good live.

that show was awesome. i felt bad for Ethan since the crowd was rather small, but sunday night shows are a tough draw for people (plus, Brokeback/Chris Brokaw and Thalia Zedek/Black Helicopter were also competing for the same audience). i didn't really know much of the material (am only super familiar w/ _Magnificent Fiend_) but it all smoked. he's got a great band. go see him if they play your town (Chicago is next, at the Abbey tmrw night)

11169784_10153334903590992_5244959889566

And ... ?

Not used to seeing shows at the Fillmore which is much bigger than the usual theatres.  Seemed like a pretty quiet crowd and a fairly tame show.  The riot fest show a few years ago was much more of the unpredictable Replacements people generally expect.  But having said that, they sounded fantastic.  Westerbergs voice was really strong.  Did most of the songs I was hoping to hear, some nice solo acoustic songs as well.  Don't see a set list anywhere yet.  I thought it was a great show overall.