• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best live shows I've seen in a long time. It's almost unfair how much talent is on that stage. It certainly helps that they're touring behind their best studio record. Highlights for me were the album opener "Familiarity" (can you even think of another band capable of writing a song like that?!) and also the Kid A cover that went into Wayside (Back in Time). Also, how about Gabe playing fiddle and drums?! They were on fire... Hoping to catch them again at Fresh Grass in Sept.

I also think Phosphorescent Blues is (by far) their best studio album.  I'm partial to "Julep" and "Little Lights", but there's not a single clunker on it.  The addition of Gabe on drums as well as fiddle is a bold move, but I like it as long as the drums are sparing.  The cover of Josh Ritter's "Another New World" gave me chills.  They are just unmatched for musicianship; especially Chris T. and Noam are jaw-dropping.  Can't get enough Punch Brothers!

I also think Phosphorescent Blues is (by far) their best studio album. I'm partial to "Julep" and "Little Lights", but there's not a single clunker on it. The addition of Gabe on drums as well as fiddle is a bold move, but I like it as long as the drums are sparing. The cover of Josh Ritter's "Another New World" gave me chills. They are just unmatched for musicianship; especially Chris T. and Noam are jaw-dropping. Can't get enough Punch Brothers!

Totally agree re: Gabe on the drums. And it seems to be the consensus that both Chris and Noam are at the top of their field as far as mandolin and banjo playing is concerned. My girlfriend, who is the real bluegrass fan in the relationship, took me to Bela Fleck's Banjo Summit show a year or so ago. It was really obvious that even amongst a group of the best living banjo players, Noam really shines. Not much needs to be said about Chris -- the guy is unreal.

The Church...should be interesting w/o Marty Willson-Piper, though Kilbey's been the only constant...MWP has left before, as has Koppes. but yeah, i really like what Marty brings to the table. still, should be a good show and am really excited to hear one song they've included in the set list (sneaked a peek at setlist.fm and they've been playing this particular song each night).

Wow the two above Boston area choices above

Govt Mule & The Church are two good ones.

Dam too bad the cloning machine is broken as I'm

Shipping into Boston for the Opening Night of the Dropkicks

• 2 weeks later...

you'll have to wait for the new issue of The Big Takeover to come out, probably late April or so.

i'll have some live shots though. they were super friendly. i recognized one of the touring members as a guy who also played w/ Teenage Fanclub when i did a shoot w/ them a while back (Dave something or other). Stuart also took my request of Fox In The Snow and played it.  :thumbup

you'll have to wait for the new issue of The Big Takeover to come out, probably late April or so.

i'll have some live shots though. they were super friendly. i recognized one of the touring members as a guy who also played w/ Teenage Fanclub when i did a shoot w/ them a while back (Dave something or other). Stuart also took my request of Fox In The Snow and played it.  :thumbup

Good pick for a request! Ok keep us posted!