Streaming "The Whole Love"

Art Of Almost might just be the sexiest track that Wilco has ever recorded.

Really loved the whole thing on the 2nd listen. I'm more aware of the tracks that weren't played at Solid Sound. There isn't one track that I don't like. I need some time to get to know 12 new friends.

Edit: Also, Whole Love is an amazing tune. Love it when it picks up in the middle. Definitely going to try it out in the car system for some cruising.

One more thing: I wasn't really let down by Sky Blue Sky or The Album, so I feel lucky enough to have enjoyed everything that they've put out which is rare for most bands.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing: I wasn't really let down by Sky Blue Sky or The Album, so I feel lucky enough to have enjoyed everything that they've put out which is rare for most bands.

I feel the same way. Since I'm new to Wilco fandom (although I've been a cursory listener since "Being There"), I didn't really hear any of the albums in order. I dig most of W(TA), and I love SBS. This record, however....is...uh...better.

I feel the same way. Since I'm new to Wilco fandom (although I've been a cursory listener since "Being There"), I didn't really hear any of the albums in order. I dig most of W(TA), and I love SBS. This record, however....is...uh...better.

I have loved something about every single Wilco album and this one is no exception. I have been lucky enough to hear them all as they came out and have never been let down. That's a beautiful thing.

What was Capitol City called? "Pure twee shit." Well, I fucking love it, but I think "pure twee shit" could be used as a way to deride a lot of music I love: solo Colin Blunstone, Randy Newman, early Bee Gees, etc. So, I am probably a bad judge.

My first impression of Sunloathe was it could have been recorded by John Lennon for his Mind Games or Walls and Bridges albums. Open Up Your Mind could fit right in on Dylan's Nashville Skyline album or something The Band might have done in their prime. Capitol City has a Dr. John vibe to it. Probably my favorite. Standing O's initial few seconds reminds me of the Beady Eye tune Standing at the Edge of the Noise. Just the intro, however. Whole Love much better than the live version from Solid Sound. Also very Beatlesque. Could be a Threatles outtake from the Anthology CDs. My least favorite is One Sunday Morning but it is better than most of WTA. As for Almost, I was expecting something like this to come down the pike sooner or later. It's interesting but don't know how often I'll be playing that one on the iPod. Overall, I rank Whole Love it up there with the best of Wilco after two listens.

I'm loving this!!! Personally, I'm not going to sit around and try to compare it with anything else they've done. The thing about music, is that it's an art and represents the artist at that particular moment. The songs may have been sitting around for awhile, but the interpretation is by Wilco in the here and now, not Wilco in 1997. I'm going to sit here with my headphones and enjoy it for what it is. And, so far, I love what it is! Can't wait to hear AoA live...crossing my fingers I'm on the Nels side of the stage lol!

One Sunday Morning is masterful. I have been playing it over and over. Reminds me of when

I got Yankee and sat in a room

for an hour just listening and trying to wrap my head around I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

Ditto. I'm hypnotized by One Sunday Morning.

I'm loving this!!! Personally, I'm not going to sit around and try to compare it with anything else they've done. The thing about music, is that it's an art and represents the artist at that particular moment. The songs may have been sitting around for awhile, but the interpretation is by Wilco in the here and now, not Wilco in 1997. I'm going to sit here with my headphones and enjoy it for what it is. And, so far, I love what it is! Can't wait to hear AoA live...crossing my fingers I'm on the Nels side of the stage lol!

I was trying to write something like that, but you got it at the point I wanted to make a lot more eloquently.

--Mike

So interesting to hear all the opinions. There are some songs I love, some songs I like, and some that I need to listen to more. Its a new Wilco album, so I am pretty happy. I do love a lot of the layered instrumentation, as well as some of the great lyrics by Jeff. We will see how long it holds up, but I am happy so far.

Open Up Your Mind could fit right in on Dylan's Nashville Skyline album or something The Band might have done in their prime.

Nnnnnno. Jesus. Had either of those acts done it in '69, it wouldn't be the most disposable Wilco song ever put to tape. Just spitballin' here.