Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dawned on Me still has pretty sissy lyrics,

My daughter Sarah called the lyrics "girly".

I wrote earlier that this album had something further. Music has always been a touchstone for me and I am old. The first time I heard Wilco, the music seemed to embody so much that came before but pushed deep into something new. That's what was so compelling. That was what hooked me.

This album has taken a leap in all of the elements we have mentioned here...the musicianship, the production, the subtleties. It's still more than the sum. Wilco's music is once again nascent.

I guess that if WTA and SBS were jello, TWL is chewy and that's a fine thing - there's going to be loads to unravel and enjoy. I was pleased that Almost rocked immediately and dragged me into the whole album without regret or apology. If there are actually 60 songs floating about it would be interesting to hear what was rejected in favour of what's emerged. The tracking is a bit interesting - clearly Almost and SFJSB deserve their opening and closing slots - the rest I'm not sure fall into any discernible order. Dawned on Me is clearly my third-favourite song but the chewiness is going to come from setting them aside and figuring out how to treat the rest of the material - those three are so super-human efforts that they dwarfed my initial listens to the new record.

Has anyone posted or seen a text of lyrics for SFJSB?

Me neither... me neither.

Got any specific Leroy moments? Because I think this is purely, 100% Mikael's flavour, especially from the Wilco B sides. ie Diamond Claw, One True Vine, Panthers, Rottnest... so distinctively Mikael and so pretty.

The guitar in One Sunday also reminds me of the guitar from Diamond Claw.

I think Diamond Claw is a Leroy tune, isn't it?

I think Diamond Claw is a Leroy tune, isn't it?

Sorry Laughing Dog. I just checked the Wilco Book - I'm wrong.

TWL is brilliant, I think. I stopped listening after Dawned on Me to save some thrills for the 27th. I've only got another hour and a quarter to hang on!

I agree, how can people be so judgmental after such a sort time. Oh, I forgot, look at history.

Maybe later we can parse it all based on the past musical history. But for now, just shut up and listen :stunned ok, talk about it too, it wouldn't be a chat board if we all sat around and said it's great.

but I do think it's great....

I think I agree with what you are saying. It bugs me when someone gets jumped for rushing to judgment on a song or an album after just a few listens when they don't like it, but aren't the people who love the songs after a few listens really rushing to judgment as well? It could get worse over time. As a matter of fact, many of the albums that I love on first listen fade quickly over time, where as the ones that take a few listens to enjoy have more staying power. Some of the best albums grab you from the beginning and stay great forever.

I have listened to this 1.5 times and now I'm going to shelve it until the release date. I absolutely LOVED what I heard and it will be really hard to wait until the 27th. I have a strong hope that it will balance that fine line between accessible and complex and be a great album for a long time.

this is the record this lineup was destined to make. All the pieces fit together, it is a classic.

they should be really proud.

The band functions as an orchestra around some cool songs that will take me a long time to figure out, time I am looking forward to spending.

We dont have to compare everything to other things. This is its own record with its own sound.

well said

I decided to go ahead and check out the stream. After two listens, my most immediate reaction is that The Whole Love is the best record this lineup has made. I've been listening on headphones and have really enjoyed the dense, lush layers of sound. I think it's the best-produced and most solid set of songs I've heard from this incarnation of the band.

I enjoy quite a bit from the last two records. SBS was my first "new" Wilco record. There were parts that grabbed me immediately and others that took time to grow. W(TA) didn't generate as passionate of a response, and took even more time to grow. TWL reminds me of how I felt when I first heard Wilco -- that is, the first time i heard them at all.

I am confident that this record will grab more people immediately and it will hold up very well.

I can't stop listening to One Sunday Morning.

I have not paid attention to the lyrics yet, but the sound is so peaceful and soothing, both the music and also Jeff's voice. This song is by far the standout track for me. The rest ain't too shabby either. ;) But this one song seems to stand head and shoulders above the rest for me. I do think this song will become one of my all time favorite Wilco songs.

When TWL arrives at my door on the 27th I shall be greeting it with my earphones already on.

Thanks for streaming for 24 hours, it has been a lovely day.

Gotta go, OSM just started and I have to sit still and let it wash over me.

Sorry if it is in poor taste to ask, but I'm not a member of waffles so I can't get it there, but does anyone know where I can find this, or perhaps PM me a download?

I can't wait to hear this on vinyl!

Unfortunately I wasn't home a lot yesterday and I'm leaving shortly today so I could only listen to it scattered about one time through, sounded good though!

There are comparisons and influences apparent throughout, but what I'm most struck by is how indisputably, absolutely themselves they are. Only Wilco could have made this music. God, I love this band.

This sums up the explanation that I've been struggling to come up with. The same thing could not have been said to the same degree with respect to SBS and W(TA).