Streaming "The Whole Love"

Jeff and John are Wilco. Jeff said on the Ashes dvd that while he didn't anticipate or want it, the band could absorb a member leaving except for John.

I remember seeing that. What I read from Jeff when he made that statement was that it has nothing to do with his bass playing (although on the Art of Almost it is mind-blowing), but I think Jeff needs him there for personal reasons. Jeff is very intense, and John is very laid back. They need that balance to make the band work. That's exactly why Jay Bennett didn't work out.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what was meant by "official" is the band had an idea of how the album should flow, and they came up with a sequence. That is the CD and the digital download. When applying this to the economy of vinyl it didn't evenly fit on the sides with the limited length each one can hold. So rather than stick to the regular sequence and have a 5th side of lp, more weight, and nothing on the 6th side, they swapped a couple tracks so every side would be full.

It's not which format is more "official", just art interacting with format in different ways. You put a picture in a different frame and you have to crop it different.

I think what was meant by "official" is the band had an idea of how the album should flow, and they came up with a sequence. That is the CD and the digital download. When applying this to the economy of vinyl it didn't evenly fit on the sides with the limited length each one can hold. So rather than stick to the regular sequence and have a 5th side of lp, more weight, and nothing on the 6th side, they swapped a couple tracks so every side would be full.

It's not which format is more "official", just art interacting with format in different ways. You put a picture in a different frame and you have to crop it different.

withholding judgment until i see the 8 track listing

Nice. Wedding in my wife's family on Saturday. Lots of family stuff throughout the long weekend. Missed all the excitement. Missed the stream. I always knew having a life would seriously interfere with my music time. This really stings.

I guess it will be worth it on the 29th when I'm hearing most of this music for the first time. Stings today though.

actually this is pretty common, and it has to do with space available on the Vinyl. The CD tracklist should be considered the "official" tracklisting.

Well, that would make sense except for "Whole Love" still would come on the same side (side 3) regardless. It's just a matter of it coming first on side 3 or last.

If Wilco, The Album was a sonic shoulder to cry on this album is a sonic smile to rely upon. I have listened five times and can't get over it. I m not a fanboy, and would have ripped it if it was even subpar. This is history in the making. I Might may get some radio play, but even if the album turns out to be checkbook suicide I assure you a hundred years from now this album will be studied in music appreciation classes. Every listen brings out more layers; the album is so textured it leaves you speechless. I seriously wondered if YHF would be the apex of the catalog. No way I could have anticipated this coming. I remember the first time I heard Pet Sounds. I was left with a sadness that I would never get to hear it again for the first time. This album is what Brian Wilson was trying to do with Smile. This is truly a masterpiece and I hope Jeff realizes that he has achieved something that cannot be duplicated. Perfection. Sorry if I am going on too much but I truly believe I am listening to the most beautiful piece of art I could ever imagine.

If Wilco, The Album was a sonic shoulder to cry on this album is a sonic smile to rely upon. I have listened five times and can't get over it. I m not a fanboy, and would have ripped it if it was even subpar. This is history in the making. I Might may get some radio play, but even if the album turns out to be checkbook suicide I assure you a hundred years from now this album will be studied in music appreciation classes. Every listen brings out more layers; the album is so textured it leaves you speechless. I seriously wondered if YHF would be the apex of the catalog. No way I could have anticipated this coming. I remember the first time I heard Pet Sounds. I was left with a sadness that I would never get to hear it again for the first time. This album is what Brian Wilson was trying to do with Smile. This is truly a masterpiece and I hope Jeff realizes that he has achieved something that cannot be duplicated. Perfection. Sorry if I am going on too much but I truly believe I am listening to the most beautiful piece of art I could ever imagine.

So you like it then?

Nice. Wedding in my wife's family on Saturday. Lots of family stuff throughout the long weekend. Missed all the excitement. Missed the stream. I always knew having a life would seriously interfere with my music time. This really stings.

I guess it will be worth it on the 29th when I'm hearing most of this music for the first time. Stings today though.

There is a webrip floating around if you really want to hear it, but it's not the best quality. If you listen to the Official release of I might and the webrip you'll notice a huge fidelity downgrade...still having it in my IPod/Car has definitely been nice. Can't wait for the real thing and the bonus tracks.

So i have a confession to make: I have had access to an advance copy of the album for close to a month now. It has been extraordinarily difficult to not post about it when everybody was speculating about the album, and i feel as though i can finally share my thoughts from the perspective of somebody who has had time to have the album grow on them.

First of all, I have to agree with the sentiment that TWL is easily the best album that Wilco has made with their current lineup. I feel as though that whereas SBS and WTA sounded like six guys in a studio playing together, even the simpler songs on this album feel a little bit more harder to pin down. There are way more subtleties to the songs that took many many many listens to discover, and i think that has been one of the most rewarding things about the album. Lyrically, i think i was worried about how the album would turn out, but i think there are some very memorable Tweedy lyrics on the album.

I can guarantee that lot of the tracks that people aren't crazy about right now are huge growers, especially Black Moon. I always thought it sounded sort of like "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but that might just be me. But this was probably the most forgettable song on the album the first couple of listens through. However, the string arrangement is absolutely gorgeous, and the production on that track is really something special. I think it's sort of funny how it starts off almost sounding like Black Eye too, even if just for a few seconds (starts on the same A minor chord). I could also tell that Capital City would be sort of divisive, but it has been one of my favorite TWL tracks from the first listen. It's lighthearted, jaunty, has some great chord changes and progressions. Just a feel good song overall.

One last thing i have to say is that I have listened to One Sunday Morning at least once a day for the 3 or 4 weeks i've had access to the album. I honestly think it's one of the most sincere, beautiful songs Jeff Tweedy has ever written and Wilco has ever recorded. I've been playing it nonstop on my guitar, and it is just so simple and beautiful in that classic Wilco way.

Even after a whole month of whole love, in my opinion this is one of the strongest Wilco efforts in a while, and i think that it has the potential to be as classic, memorable, and groundbreaking of a Wilco album as YHF, AGIB (still can't say for sure if it will be, but can't rule it out either)

So i have a confession to make: I have had access to an advance copy of the album for close to a month now. It has been extraordinarily difficult to not post about it when everybody was speculating about the album, and i feel as though i can finally share my thoughts from the perspective of somebody who has had time to have the album grow on them.

First of all, I have to agree with the sentiment that TWL is easily the best album that Wilco has made with their current lineup. I feel as though that whereas SBS and WTA sounded like six guys in a studio playing together, even the simpler songs on this album feel a little bit more harder to pin down. There are way more subtleties to the songs that took many many many listens to discover, and i think that has been one of the most rewarding things about the album. Lyrically, i think i was worried about how the album would turn out, but i think there are some very memorable Tweedy lyrics on the album.

I can guarantee that lot of the tracks that people aren't crazy about right now are huge growers, especially Black Moon. I always thought it sounded sort of like "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but that might just be me. But this was probably the most forgettable song on the album the first couple of listens through. However, the string arrangement is absolutely gorgeous, and the production on that track is really something special. I think it's sort of funny how it starts off almost sounding like Black Eye too, even if just for a few seconds (starts on the same A minor chord). I could also tell that Capital City would be sort of divisive, but it has been one of my favorite TWL tracks from the first listen. It's lighthearted, jaunty, has some great chord changes and progressions. Just a feel good song overall.

One last thing i have to say is that I have listened to One Sunday Morning at least once a day for the 3 or 4 weeks i've had access to the album. I honestly think it's one of the most sincere, beautiful songs Jeff Tweedy has ever written and Wilco has ever recorded. I've been playing it nonstop on my guitar, and it is just so simple and beautiful in that classic Wilco way.

Even after a whole month of whole love, in my opinion this is one of the strongest Wilco efforts in a while, and i think that it has the potential to be as classic, memorable, and groundbreaking of a Wilco album as YHF, AGIB (still can't say for sure if it will be, but can't rule it out either)

Cool review. Your username looks very familiar - have you posted Radiohead stuff on YouTube?

So glad that this album doesn't lose any gas. I want to love this album for a very long time, and to have it grow in my mind as iconically as GIB or YHF has.

Wow a month? So are the advanced copies water marked? It's pretty odd that it did not leak before this. Wilco must have had some strict legal wording in it's mailer.

Personally I am jealous that you have heard the album with proper production quality. The rip that I have is garbage.

Cool review. Your username looks very familiar - have you posted Radiohead stuff on YouTube?

So glad that this album doesn't lose any gas. I want to love this album for a very long time, and to have it grow in my mind as iconically as GIB or YHF has.

haha, yes i posted the In Rainbows basement stuff onto Youtube, funny that you recognized. The album definitely hasn't lost gas.

Rhino4evr: Yes, it was a watermarked CD

yea it is encoded into the music I believe.

You can only hear up to 20k, but I believe cds are capable of carrying info up to something way higher, so they can put digital codes that be read at like 50khz.

I think that is how they do it, although there are ways to get around this too.

2nd point (reason I came here to post)

I can't believe some people are unhappy with some of these tunes. This record is a monster! Open mind, standing O, Dawned on me, and the other couple of songs that are getting mentioned are killer tunes!

The melody in open mind? beautiful! It is such a great, direct song. There is a place for nice folk tunes, and that one is just great.

Do you have a tab that you could share?