Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art Of Almost reminds of the first time I heard I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, right after buying Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I remember thinking as the song started "I am hearing something really special here". Really enjoyed the first listen through. Thanks again Wilco!!

Nothing could possibly top the first-last combo of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart (their best song) and Reservations.

I agree with both of these. My first listen to Almost yesterday was a "whoa" moment for me, which I hadn't had since YHF. Too early to really digest it and comment, but that first couple minutes of bliss really hit me.

Guest McGuffin

It's an opinion board. Respect the opinions of others, please. Taking comments out of context and blasting them isn't cool.

Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee and Ghost were all immediate in the way they struck me from start to finish.

As to the next three, half of them struck me immediately while the other halves did and have not. The halves of SBS and WTA that didn't immediately strike me still haven't grown on me, You and I, surprisingly, notwithstanding. Doesn't mean I don't like Wilco. Doesn't mean I haven't been to five shows. Doesn't mean I'm a troll. Respect people and opinions.

Lastly, The Late Greats is a good track. Miles better than Walken or What Light.

Cheers!

I've heard One Sunday Morning being mentioned as one of their best closing tracks on an album, though I think On and On and On from SBS shouldn't exactly be neglected either. I didn't see any references to it, and while I know some thought it was a dull song it's fantastic lyrically and truly shines live(like the Austin City Limits version with the harmony part at the end).

It's an opinion board. Respect the opinions of others, please. Taking comments out of context and blasting them isn't cool.

Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee and Ghost were all immediate in the way they struck me from start to finish.

As to the next three, half of them struck me immediately while the other halves did and have not. The halves of SBS and WTA that didn't immediately strike me still haven't grown on me, You and I, surprisingly, notwithstanding. Doesn't mean I don't like Wilco. Doesn't mean I haven't been to five shows. Doesn't mean I'm a troll. Respect people and opinions.

Lastly, The Late Greats is a good track. Miles better than Walken or What Light.

Cheers!

I understand that you have opinions, but I think comparing every song you don't like to something off SBS or WTA is a tad off base. Some of the songs remind me more of Summer Teeth and Being There, I don't think anything on here would have fit WTA. SBS, maybe.

I also think SBS is a great album, and Open Mind (which is probably the most SBS song on here) is great.

Lastly, The Late Greats is a good track.

Cheers!

Thank you! I love that song, and I think it bookends with ALTWYS perfectly. All of AGIB is so...stressed. That's what I love about it. It feels like the album's just simmering below psychological boil the whole time - and Less Than You Think sees it finally spill over. But then, after 12 minutes of drone and pain - a happy note! A nice way to say "everything's going to be OK" or....perhaps...Get well soon, Everybody.

Loving this album! Although, WTF is "Standing O"? Oh well, I guess even Yankee had one crap track (Heavy Metal Drummer; tangent: how did that make the final cut over Cars Can't Escape and Venus Stop The Train???).

Also, loving the Johnny Cash nod in "One Sunday Morning". Go listen to "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" if you've never heard it.

Oh! Almost forgot: anyone have lyrics for this album yet????

Good album; first 6 tracks are great, after that it's a bit more hit and miss but every post-YHF Wilco-album was a bit front-loaded and at least this one ends on a high note with One Sunday Morning (and the only real filler-track here is Open Mind). Definitly better than W(TA) and probably on par with AGIB & SBS (a bit underrated around here), that's a lot better than I expected after the vapid auto-pilot rockers of W(TA).

Loving "Capitol City"!; they pulled a "Beth/Rest" in that they took something that on surface level was critical-mass cheese factor and made it absolutely awesome.

Love the Bon reference. I know what you mean.

The lyrics to Dawned On Me were pretty easy to figure out!

Dawned On Me

I've been young, I've been old

I've been hurt and consoled

Heart of cold, heart of gold

So I'm told

I've been lost, I've been found

I've been taken by the sound

Of my own voice

And the voices in my head

I can't help it

if I fall In love with you

again, I'm calling

Just to let you know it dawned on me

Every night, is a test

To the east, further west

The sun rises and sets

As a sun

At its best

I forget that I know

I regret letting you go

Sometimes,

I can't believe how dark it can be

But I can't help it

again, I'm calling

(whistle)

And so on, and so forth

And again I will stop

To begin

At the end

I can't help it

again, I'm calling

Oh, I can't help it

again, I'm calling

Just noticed something kind of strange that I haven't seen mentioned before. On the picture of the vinyl on the streaming page it lists "Whole Love" as the opener of Side 3 (putting it before "Capitol City"). The same thing is listed on the vinyl pre-order page. But on the CD pre-order page it is listed just as we heard it. Probably just a misprint (I doubt they would have different playlists on the vinyl and CD), but kind of interesting. Perhaps it was the original running order.

Wow!!

I was a little apprehensive about this album, I might is probably my least favourite, (or now maybe capitol city) and when I first heard it a few weeks ago I was disheartened and had a little cry (ok may have been a little premenstrual too) that Wilco were heading in a different direction than I wanted them too! I still preordered though.

But now I'm beaming and can't wait or the 27th, (I will wait though, I like the build up). As soon as Art of Almost got going I got one of those huge mega grin/crazy 'hell yeah' laughs and was fully imagining being in the front frow for it.

I got to listen 2 and 3/4 times, made for such a great weekend to wake up and go back to sleep with it,(I always find headphones make for the most intimate and intense experience too) sad my computer froze before the last track on my final listen because that is such a beautful song and probably becoming an all time favourite already.

I'm estatic about this, and also those words which are a year overdue for me... 'World Tour'

Just noticed something kind of strange that I haven't seen mentioned before. On the picture of the vinyl on the streaming page it lists "Whole Love" as the opener of Side 3 (putting it before "Capitol City"). The same thing is listed on the vinyl pre-order page. But on the CD pre-order page it is listed just as we heard it. Probably just a misprint (I doubt they would have different playlists on the vinyl and CD), but kind of interesting. Perhaps it was the original running order.

actually this is pretty common, and it has to do with space available on the Vinyl. The CD tracklist should be considered the "official" tracklisting.

Loving this album! Although, WTF is "Standing O"? Oh well, I guess even Yankee had one crap track (Heavy Metal Drummer; tangent: how did that make the final cut over Cars Can't Escape and Venus Stop The Train???).

Also, loving the Johnny Cash nod in "One Sunday Morning". Go listen to "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" if you've never heard it.

My guess is because Heavy Metal Drummer is a much better song than either of those two.

John's bass playing over the last three albums has been nothing short of incredible. He doesn't he his due.

Jeff and John are Wilco. Jeff said on the Ashes dvd that while he didn't anticipate or want it, the band could absorb a member leaving except for John.

Jeff and John are Wilco. Jeff said on the Ashes dvd that while he didn't anticipate or want it, the band could absorb a member leaving except for John.

I might just cry if John left. It warms my heart that he's been there straight through.

Also, one of my favorite things about a new record coming out is that it inspires you to go back and listen to all the old ones again.

Such a treat.

Things to consider and scattershooting

No Depression came out in 1990 and AM came out in 1995. 21 years into a recording career and 16 years with this band and this is what we get.

Wow.

That being said, after three listens to the stream, this looks as if it belongs in the pantheon with Summerteeth, A Ghost is Born and Being There. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot belongs to myth and is difficult to consider without its baggage and history. It's a bit like Sargent Pepper in that respect. A Worthy and callenging record that is overwhelmed by its background.

Pat desereves kudos for his production on this one.

I wonder if Jeff will show up on that stupid "This rocker is a satanist" website for OSM? Has any other artist written about spiritual matters with such an unflinching, non-judgemental, thoughtful manner?

This band is in a good place musically. Nels is now so much more than the 'freakout time' guitar player. He adds some very nice textures

And I don't mind the lapsteel.

And this record will finally put the Jay Bennett put down to bed. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with nice folk ditties Not when the lyricist is Jeff Tweedy and the ditty is played by THIS band.

I've not posted here in a long while, but have been keeping up with everyone's comments on the new album and figured I'd toss in my few thoughts.

- By far more adventurous than the past 2 albums, which was really refreshing to hear.

- While I love to the opening track, was kinda bummed not to hear those kinds of sounds at all throughout the rest of the album.

- Sunloathe is great, the buildup to those shimmery psychedelic guitar parts is great, but I wish it kept going! Seems to end a little too soon.

- Dawned On Me's chorus is super catchy. Slightly reminded me of the SBS outtake Glad It's Over at the start, but thankfully moved away from that quickly.

- Black Moon is beautiful. I love the sparseness and space in this song.

- I like Open Mind. It does feel a bit too much Tweedy-solo, but it's a pretty song nonetheless.

- Standing O is the only song on the record I don't like at all. I'm sure it will be a fun live song, but it feels forced and thrown in here and doesn't really fit with the rest I don't think. Don't really like what he's doing with his voice either.

- Love that slightly muted picking going on throughout parts of Rising Red Lung. Glenn's doing some great stuff on this too toward the end of the track. Beautiful song.

- I imagine I'll keep getting lost in all the great sounds in the last track. Great finish.

They did it! Ladies and gentlemen it is a fantastic day to be a Wilco fan. Here is my reaction, as hyperbolic and premature as it may be:

The Whole Love is the best record these guys have made in 6-7 years. Every song stands up, they all transcend their respective genres, they all go beyond the other Wilco albums you could compare them to. More than anything this LP is incredible because it creates its own world the way BT, AGIB, YHF and ST did, the way SBS partially did, and the way W(TA) failed to.

The acoustic based songs don't sound like a Tweedy solo track with overdubs added later. They sound like perfect jigsaw puzzle arrangements written with a top shelf six piece band taking complete ownership of every second. The high energy songs don't sound like "easy rockers" put in "for fun", but substantial additions to an already formidable catalog.

I enjoyed the last record as a new album from one of my favorite bands that fell between serviceable and great at various moments. I've already fallen in love with the Whole Love as an incredible record. No qualifiers needed.

BINGO!

I haven't been this excited by some new music for some time. I only listened to the first half of the record during the stream, but my first thought was this was their best stuff since AGIB. I was grinning like a fool for the duration (which, to the outside world, appears only slightly different to my regular look).

"One Sunday Morning", I don't know what words to use to describe how incredibly soulful this song is, and how this song just washes over me like a warm bath. Maybe those are the words. Thank you Wilco for rockin my world again.

agree