Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The back half is starting to suffer from the same phoned-in-ness and forgettable-ness that characterized the last two recs, unfortunately. "Capitol City" is a clear bright spot in spite of the shellacking it seems to be getting from people already. A melody that I'll actually remember once the album is finished spinning = a good song, see.

Every other track is kind of forgettable and amorphous ("Open Mind," "Born Alone," etc). Still enjoying it, but it's certainly more of a piece with the last two recs and not their earlier stuff (which I guess is to be expected). It's sort of all over the place, which is yielding a mix of really solid songs and really forgettable ones.

BORING!

If anybody has actually declared this their best album, they need to put the fucking Kool-Aid down RIGHT NOW. It's good, but I don't see how any longtime fan could consider it a return to form, let alone a feather in the band's cap. After one listen, I'd put it on par with SBS if I were feeling generous. Towards the bottom of the pile, but certainly better than the last record.

The back half is starting to suffer from the same phoned-in-ness and forgettable-ness that characterized the last two recs, unfortunately. "Capitol City" is a clear bright spot in spite of the shellacking it seems to be getting from people already. A melody that I'll actually remember once the album is finished spinning = a good song, see.

Every other track is kind of forgettable and amorphous ("Open Mind," "Born Alone," etc). Still enjoying it, but it's certainly more of a piece with the last two recs and not their earlier stuff (which I guess is to be expected). It's sort of all over the place, which is yielding a mix of really solid songs and really forgettable ones.

or maybe you should just listen a bit more so you won't forget them? haha.

Onto the last few tracks now -- Rising Red Lung is definitely an album highlight. By far the best of the acoustic songs here, thanks to a beautiful melody, amazing lyrics ("as intimate as a kiss over the phone" is great) and some wonderful dynamics courtesy of Glenn and Nels. Maybe the best song here, actually.

If anybody has actually declared this their best album, they need to put the fucking Kool-Aid down RIGHT NOW. It's good, but I don't see how any longtime fan could consider it a return to form, let alone a feather in the band's cap. After one listen, I'd put it on par with SBS if I were feeling generous. Towards the bottom of the pile, but certainly better than the last record.

first of all i don't think anyone has declared it their best album....and why do people have to rain on the parade? will the excitement wear off? probably. but why be a downer about it.

second of all, if no one is allowed to declare it their best album, then why do you get to declare it as bottom of the pile?

This is your opinion, and I respectfully disagree.

I need to have Art Of Almost playing in my car on this holiday weekend, so that I can get pulled over by the police for speeding like a mad man.

WOW! Listened to that one again and that solo is just face melting. You can't help but go over 100m.p.h with playing like that.

What a great album-- I think the thing about W(TA) and in some spots, SBS, you could hear the weaker parts (or to keep it objective, just the parts that didn't grab you at all) on the first listen... and while it always changes with time, I can still see why I thought that the first time listening to those albums. No moments like that on this album for myself personally. Sounds completely solid from start to finish. About halfway through I started and couldn't stop thinking "white album" myself.... never personally really felt that much beatles filtering through any of their previous albums... anyway, fuckin way to go Wilco!

I think the record is better, to me, than SBS and W(TA). but for me, nothing will be better than the early lineup therefore Being There will ALWAYS be my favorite record.

That era, if you were a fan back then and saw them in concert, was a special time, you felt you were witnessing a band being on the cusp of accomplishing something great. it was a truly special time!!

edit: HAHA, perhaps i am living in the past....

So Sometimes Nothing Happens, I guess? :P

Having listened to it once, it's a pretty solid entry in their catalogue, definitely. I unreservedly LOVE "Art of Almost," "Capitol City," "Rising Red Lung," "One Sunday Morning" and "Dawned On Me," although the rest sort of occupies the same forgettable space as most of the pokey W(TA) rockers. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- songs like "You Never Know" definitely grew on me over hte last two years, and I'm sure some of these will elicit some type of response from me if I keep listening to the record as a whole. I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't do more with the acoustic stuff and the rockers alike, but I learned long ago to stop pining for the days of BT and Summerteeth, so it's no big deal.

I think the record is better, to me, than SBS and W(TA). but for me, nothing will be better than the early lineup therefore Being There will ALWAYS be my favorite record.

That era, if you were a fan back then and saw them in concert, was a special time, you felt you were witnessing a band being on the cusp of accomplishing something great. it was a truly special time!!

edit: HAHA, perhaps i am living in the past....

Nah, I'm on the same page as you, 100%. I think every great band suffers something of a decline after being together for a decade (The Stones are sort of the Rosetta Stone for me as far as this goes), and while many of them are still capable of producing really good music once they reach maturity, those glory days will always remain a thing of the past. There's nothing wrong with that!

What we can all agree on : atmospheric ballads good ; strings on Black Moon great ; lyrics excellent ; more up tempo crowdpleasers than on any post YHF record ; tremendous opener ; impressive closer track ; fantastic low voice by Jeff on some songs ; it is their best album since AGIB.

What we will endlessly argue about : capitol city (me, I just love it, in a hummingbird kind of way, I already can picture jeff with the mic in hand and no guitar doing the show on that one) ; which ballad is best (I say Open Mind and Sunloathe) ; which up tempo songs are the strongest (I say I Might and Born Alone, by far) ; is Art of Almost as good an opener as IATTBYH ? ; is One Sunday Morning their best closer or not ? ; is it their best album since YHF ?

I'm just starting listen number two. I'm wondering about cohesion. The Art of Almost/Radiohead comments are legit, but then it seems they have dropped that thread.

Anyway, this is nitpicking because I do think they've turned the corner on the whole decreasing quality trend. I was kind of doubtful that they still had it in them, but thankfully it seems I was wrong.