Wilco (officially released live shows)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This IS weird. Remember that long run of shows where they never played any songs off Wilco (The Album)? It must be some legal issue having to do with publishing rights. .  

Who's brave enough to ask Jeff this question at the Vic shows? Not me.

Hmm, whats the link here, "You and I", "Bull Black Nova", "One Wing", "I'll Fight" and "Solitaire", all left off the latest Jeff Tweedy Roadcase shows.

h

This IS weird. Remember that long run of shows where they never played any songs off Wilco (The Album)? It must be some legal issue having to do with publishing rights. .  

Who's brave enough to ask Jeff this question at the Vic shows? Not me.

Yup, once again into the fray with "Wilco" (The Album)".

I just wrote Annick at Kung Fu Nation to see if we can get to the bottom of this. Sad to lose so many great songs from those shows...almost half of that album got done. Needless to say I'll let everyone know what I hear back, if anything. Here's what I wrote:

"What the heck is up with publishing rights, or whatever legal issues that are going on involving "Wilco (The Album)"?!!? There are songs cut from 3 of the 4 shows here- from #24- "You & I" (and the aborted "Country Disappeared"- but that makes sense) #25- "Bull Black Nova" #26- "Solitaire", "One Wing" & I'll Fight". What those songs have in common (other than they're all great), is that they all come from "Wilco (The Album)". There was some talk when they were touring a while ago about them not playing any songs off of that album for a period & someone supposedly asked, or yelled something & I think it was Jeff sort of joked to "shhh, keep quiet about it", but also alluded to some legal/licensing issue. I hope this gets cleared up!! "Wilco (The Album)" is my 2nd fave album of theirs (after "The Whole Love"), & it's sad to see it getting edited out of history here!!! It's even sadder to have someone not have control over art/works they've created. It can't be a coincidence, & other folks have noticed- as this is probably the most glaring spotlight on the fact that something must be up in regards to legal issues with that album.".

BBN was released on Roadcase 009 / September 16, 2012 / Columbia, MO (WILR09), though - at least it's on the track list.

One Wing is on it, too.  (after doing a search - BBN and One Wing are the only WTA songs released on a Road Case.)

http://wilco.kungfustore.com/category/491-roadcase/product/3856-roadcase-009-september-16-2012-columbia-mo-wilr09

Just noticed Roadcase Shows #18 & #19, both nights of the 2013 Solid Sound Fest, are gone, or at least missing in action, off of the official Roadcase Series page at Kung Fu Nation?
Wonder if it's just a glitch, or something else. Weird. I've got them, but I sure hope they return...they were/are amazing!!

Roadcase #28 just released. That was fast!! I Wonder how many of these solo acoustic shows we'll get...really sad situation that they continue to edit out the songs from "Wilco (The Album)"- this time we lose "Bull Black Nova" (again- and like, "Art Of Almost"- it's a real epic that translates surprisingly well into the solo acoustic format). ...though, oddly enough, the full, unedited show, complete with "Bull Black Nova" in all it's glory, is still up to stream for free in the Roadcase section of the official Wilco website.
http://wilcoworld.net/#!/roadcase/moore-theatre-seattle-wa
Well here it is (as released & edited- "Bull Black Nova" should have appeared between "Kamera' & "One True Vine)...Recorded live at the Moore Theatre on December 8, 2013.
01 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
02 - New Madrid [uncle Tupelo]
03 - Remember the Mountain Bed
04 - Sunken Treasure
05 - A Long Time Ago
06 - Passenger Side
07 - Dawned On Me
08 - Radio Cure
09 - Kamera
10 - One True Vine
11 - The Ruling Class [Loose Fur]
12 - At Least That's What You Said
13 - I'm Always In Love
14 - Please Tell My Brother
15 - Jesus, Etc.
16 - Born Alone
17 - Pecan Pie [Golden Smog]
18 - Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

Encore:
19 - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
20 - California Stars
21 - I'm the Man Who Loves You
22 - A Shot in the Arm
23 - Dreamer in My Dreams

Encore:
24 - God [John Lennon cover]

I'm so happy to have the Tweedy Largo shows!!!  It's especially great to have the night 2 show which I attended.  I was just thinking about that show a couple weeks ago and thinking "damn, I got to see Jeff Tweedy play Dash 7, The Long Cut and Cars Can't Escape all at one show.  Too bad I won't hear it again since there was no recording allowed but at least I got to witness these rare and amazing songs I love so much live, in person."  Then voila! - I get on here only to see the shows have been put out and I can hear it all again.  It's just as amazing to listen to over and over again as it was in person.  I was laughing so hard at all the banter and especially the version of Thanks I Get. 

It's also so cool to be able to hear the other shows I wasn't able to attend.  I think a lot of us were crossing our fingers that these shows would get released and I'm glad it came through.  Too bad about the WTA songs.  It was a damn fine version of BBN at night 2.  I'll be pretty happy with the wealth of awesome songs that were included though.

Is it possible that the Wilco the album songs can only be sold under the name Wilco, and not Jeff Tweedy for some reason? It sounds like including these songs would result in Jeff playing royalties on his own songs. Which I'm sure isn't something he is too excited about. No wonder they formed their own label.

To be honest I don't think we are missing much. All those wilco the album tracks are pretty weak in my opinion. I guess it would be interesting to hear BBN acoustic though.

I listened to the Seattle show and it sounds great. Love the John Lennon cover.

Is it possible that the Wilco the album songs can only be sold under the name Wilco, and not Jeff Tweedy for some reason? It sounds like including these songs would result in Jeff playing royalties on his own songs. Which I'm sure isn't something he is too excited about. No wonder they formed their own label.

As I understand it, this is exactly what they're trying to avoid (or refusing to do). The contract or whatever expires somewhat soon, though, so there's a chance those tracks could be offered at a later date FYI.

So has anyone purchased and listened to the Largo shows? How do they sound? I went back and read the "After the Show" threads for those shows, and recalled that Jeff was battling a cold while he was playing there...didn't know if it had an impact on his vocals. I'm tempted to grab them all via the buy-3-get-1 deal in the Wilco store, but I'm also wondering if I really need more versions of all these songs, considering all the "unofficial" bootlegs I have.

I bought them all and I really love listening to them. Yes, we've probably all got "enough" versions of all of the songs, and on one of the nights--I think it was night 1 or 2--Jeff's voice sounded a little bit rugged, but I have to say that doesn't bother me one bit. It just sounds real. (I think Jeff even said something to that effect, like "Hey, at least it's authentic.")

What I love most about the shows is all of the banter. There must have been a little bit of it cut out--whatever led up to or followed the deleted W(TA) songs, I guess--but there's still a ton of it left in. It was obviously a very intimate space and he does a LOT of talking! If you don't like that or are looking for pristine versions of songs, there may be other, better shows. But I revel in this stuff, so to me they were thrilling additions to my collection.

So has anyone purchased and listened to the Largo shows? How do they sound? I went back and read the "After the Show" threads for those shows, and recalled that Jeff was battling a cold while he was playing there...didn't know if it had an impact on his vocals. I'm tempted to grab them all via the buy-3-get-1 deal in the Wilco store, but I'm also wondering if I really need more versions of all these songs, considering all the "unofficial" bootlegs I have.

I've now listened to 3 of the Largo shows. Each one is great, and is my "favorite", if you know what I mean. Yes, he has a cold, which he frequently refers to, but does not detract from the overall performance or my enjoyment. Lots of hysterical banter. Particularly the conversion to Judaism during the last night. And if you get a chance, listen to the Fillmore show up on bt.etree first. Not here's some great banter about the SF v. LA rivalry, which he then picks up on during the first Largo show. Totally hysterical, all the more so having heard the Fillmore show. Four nights leads to lots of deep cuts. Bottom line, get everyone of these shows!

I've heard night 1 and night 2 so far, and night 2 you can hear his voice really straining. It actually sounds painful. That being said, his vocals still hold up most of the time. And the banter is really good. The Seattle show is probably a better show if you only want 1 show, as it has a great tracklist and sounds really great.

I've heard night 1 and night 2 so far, and night 2 you can hear his voice really straining. It actually sounds painful. That being said, his vocals still hold up most of the time. And the banter is really good. The Seattle show is probably a better show if you only want 1 show, as it has a great tracklist and sounds really great.

Isn't the Seattle show the one where someone in the first row is sick and he points out he still has a bunch of shows to do and he won't be happy if he gets sick?

• 2 weeks later...

Two more recent solo acoustic shows have been released as Roadcase #29 (Denver 12/3/13) & #30 (Kansas City 12/5/13).
And the continued editing out of all material from "Wilco (The Album)" rolls along with show #29- missing both "Solitaire" and "You & I" ("Solitaire" should have opened the show, & "You & I" was between "The Ruling Class" & "Bob Dylan's 49th Beard"), and show #30- having lost "One Wing" (should have been between "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" & "Pecan Pie")..
I really hope whatever is going on gets worked out & they these are offered up someday as complete shows...and that those who bought them will get free downloads of the lost tracks.

Here's #29 ( as released in edited form)-

Recorded live at the Paramount Theatre on December 5, 2013.

Setlist

01 - Someday Some Morning Sometime
02 - Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)
03 - Ashes of American Flags
04 - One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)
05 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
06 - Pecan Pie (Golden Smog)
07 - Remember the Mountain Bed
08 - A Long Time Ago
09 - Please Tell My Brother
10 - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
11 - Jesus, Etc.
12 - Born Alone
13 - You Are Not Alone
14 - The Ruling Class (Loose Fur)
15 - New Madrid [uncle Tupelo]
16 - Box Full of Letters
17 - California Stars

Encore:
18 - So Much Wine [The Handsome Family cover]
19 - Passenger Side
20 - Anniversary
21 - I'm the Man Who Loves You
22 - A Shot in the Arm

Here's #30 (again, as released in edited form)

Recorded live at the Uptown Theater on December 3, 2013.

Setlist

01 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
02 - Remember the Mountain Bed
03 - Sunken Treasure
04 - A Long Time Ago
05 - Passenger Side
06 - Dawned On Me
07 - Radio Cure
08 - Chinese Apple
09 - Kamera
10 - One True Vine
11 - The Ruling Class [Loose Fur]
12 - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
13 - Jesus, Etc.
14 - Born Alone
15 - Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

Encore:
16 - New Madrid [uncle Tupelo]
17 - California Stars
18 - The Thanks I Get
19 - A Shot in the Arm
20 - Acuff-Rose [uncle Tupelo]