The first album I ever picked up turns 25 tomorrow..

When I was 7 years old I was at the mall with my grandma....we went into a record store and she said pick up whatever album you want. My dad had a beautiful technics turntable at home so I opted for the vinyl over the cassette. The album I picked up... http://entertainment.time.com/2012/08/29/michael-jackson-bad/?hpt=hp_t3#an-oral-history-of-bad

as much as I don't listen to MJ now the album still holds great memories of the trip to the mall with grandma. As time went on my brother drew over the inside of the record with his orange marker and I was mad...still have the album and get a smile out of it when I pick it up..

Ok end of story...

From an early age, I've relied on the kindness of others to help build my music collection (doesn't hurt that my best friend and also my husband buy tons of music which I get to benefit from). But here's the first album I got as a present:

Shaun-Cassidy-Shaun-Cassidy-401611-991.jpg

A couple years later I got my first real album for Christmas:

cbb03ec26a73d7619600851e27bddf3511abf4de.JPG

A couple years later I got my first real album for Christmas:

cbb03ec26a73d7619600851e27bddf3511abf4de.JPG

The summer that came out, we were staying in a small town in the Santa Cruz mountains. My older sister, who turned a cool 14 that summer, wanted this album for her birthday, so my dad drove her into town to the tiny hippie record store. She wanted it on cassette (no record player in the country!), but they only had vinyl, so the owner told them to come back the next day. When they went back, he'd taped the album and hand-written the label, and we listened to that tape all the rest of that summer. :wub

The summer that came out, we were staying in a small town in the Santa Cruz mountains. My older sister, who turned a cool 14 that summer, wanted this album for her birthday, so my dad drove her into town to the tiny hippie record store. She wanted it on cassette (no record player in the country!), but they only had vinyl, so the owner told them to come back the next day. When they went back, he'd taped the album and hand-written the label, and we listened to that tape all the rest of that summer. :wub

That is a heartwarming story. Unfortunately, today he would be called a thief for making an illegal copy of something. :rolleyes

My first one, think I just loved Bad Bad Leroy Brown at the time (I was like 6 or something). I still have it:

51JsYGXq01L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Followed shortly after by:

516RqTrR73L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes, sadly it was not the Who version, it was the soundtrack. Nothing like Oliver Reed ruining "Do you think it's alright". I still love Elton's Pinball Wizard though.

I'm having some problems remembering which was first...but it one of these

RingoCover.jpg

All_Things_Must_Pass_1970_cover.jpg

Beatles19671970.jpg

LITMW_album_cover_%28clean%29.jpg

or

Rod_Stewart-Never_a_Dull_Moment_%28album_cover%29.jpg

These are the kind of things a fella should remember...but I honest to God don't.

First ones bought for me- "The Monkees Greatest Hits" & "Headquarters" by The Monkees...from my mom- we went to W.T. Grant's to get them...it was '67, or '68...I was born in April 1964.

Then I was given "Rubber Soul" (U.S. version & I inherited the version my mom had bought for my cousins & left it at my grandma's so they had something to listen to at her house), & I spent my allowance savings on "Revolver" (U.S.), again in '67, or '68, just a couple of months after The Monkees albums...once again from W.T. Grants...