Winterlude at the Riv 12/5, 12/6, 12/8, 12/9, 12/11 and 12/12

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beyond ecstatic to know these will be hitting the Roadcase, but I can't help but think they should REALLY do something more proper for these shows.  Maybe add a CD option.  I know I would buy a 12-18 disc set in a heartbeat if it was done halfway decent.

I would too. An official box set...though I doubt it with What's Your 20 and AMF out.

What's a CD?

Small, round, flat object containing data, usually music, played in a car or through a stereo system. Worn-out CDs make for great coasters and mini frisbees.

What is wrong with a few one off covers? I think it shakes it up a bit and is fun. 

I love seeing bands that I love play covers.  The choice in songs speaks to me about them as musicians, and people.  There's millions of songs written that don't get played, why not have a band you like to see play some of them? 

And as for SS '13, I've read here comments of several folks who were disappointed with the all cover Friday night show.  I don't know what to say about that, as that night was one of the most fun nights of live music I've had in decades of seeing shows.

I don't know what to say about that, as that night was one of the most fun nights of live music I've had in decades of seeing shows.

2nd that. I'd been hoping for one of my favorite bands to do an all-covers show for years. Covers, an all-acoustic show, an album show - Wilco could do any of those things, announced or unannounced, and I'd be ecstatic. 

2nd that. I'd been hoping for one of my favorite bands to do an all-covers show for years. Covers, an all-acoustic show, an album show - Wilco could do any of those things, announced or unannounced, and I'd be ecstatic. 

One of my other favorite bands has done it and I thought it was awesome, but I just didn't enjoy the selection of Wilco's cover set. Probably largely because Wilco is really the only band towards this scene of music that I listen to, so all but about 6-7 of the songs were entirely lost on me.  Left that show more let down than almost any other concert experience I had ever had.  Went it totally expecting an awesome show of rare Wilco songs per request though

Yeah, I can hear ya on that... many songs were new to me too (Would you believe I never even heard Get Lucky before?) But there was enough stuff that I knew that they nailed, and some stuff I was totally hoping for. So it had a little bit of everything, and I liked that combination most of all. I know they never expressly said it would be covers, so it was open to interpretation. Night 2 ended up as the night of Wilco requests. But I guess there just wasn't enough ballot-stuffing for Sunloathe, or Blasting Fonda, or anything really rare ;)

I did some setlist data crunching.

So far 120 songs have been played...and only 10 songs have repeated (although in different formats each time)

Art of Almost - album version (Night 2) and hootenanny (Night 1)

Box Full of Letters - waltz (Night 2) and album version (Night 3)

Camera/Kamera - Camera (Night 1) and Kamera (Night 4)

Dawned on Me - album version (Night 1) and hootenanny (Night 3)

I Got You - album version (Night 2) and hootenanny (Night 4)

I'm the Man Who Loves You - no horns (Night 1), with The Total Pros (Night 3), hootenanny (Night 2)

Misunderstood - album version (Night 3) and hootenanny (Night 4)

Passenger Side - album version (Night 3) and hootenanny (Night 4)

Spiders - acoustic-ish (Night 4) and album version (Night 3)

Too Far Apart - album version (Night 4) and hootenanny (Night 3)

Nice work!!! Thanks!!! I'd be grateful if you kept you eye on things & gave us the final tally too!! I'll do my best as well...

So far 150 songs have been played...and only 16 songs have repeated (although in different formats each time) & then another 14 that were outright repeats on Night 5
Art of Almost - album version (Night 2) and hootenanny (Night 1)
Box Full of Letters - waltz (Night 2) and album version (Night 3)
Camera/Kamera - Camera (Night 1) and Kamera (Night 4 & Night 5)
Dawned on Me - album version (Night 1) and hootenanny (Night 3)
I Got You - album version (Night 2) and hootenanny (Night 4)
I'm the Man Who Loves You - no horns (Night 1), with The Total Pros (Night 3), hootenanny (Night 2)
Misunderstood - album version (Night 3) and hootenanny (Night 4)
Passenger Side - album version (Night 3) and hootenanny (Night 4)
Spiders - acoustic-ish (Night 4) and album version (Night 3)
Too Far Apart - album version (Night 4) and hootenanny (Night 3)

California Stars- album version (Night 5) and hootenanny version (Night 1)

Dreamer In My Dreams- album version (Night 5) and hootenanny (Night 3)

Handshake Drugs- album version (Night 1) and hootenanny (Night 5)

Airline To Heavnen- album version (Night 3) and hootenanny (Night 5)

Whole Love- album version (Night 1) and hootenanny (Night 5)

A Shot In The Arm- album version (Night 2) and hootenanny (Night 5)

A few more Winterlude lists, after Night #5...

1) Outright Repeated Songs- 14 (all on Night #5)

Sunken Treasure

Panthers

A Magazine Called Sunset

ELT

Camera

Born Alone

Poor Places

Either Way

Hummingbird

Theologians

Hotel Arizona

California Stars

I'm Always In Love

Outta Site (Outta Mind)

2) feel free to double check, but here's a list of all the 19 songs they've played that aren't on their standard album releases...

Childlike & Evergreen
A Magazine Called Sunset
Just A Kid

The Thanks I Get

Panthers

The Good Part

Dark Neon

True Love Will Find You In The End
Give Back The Key To My Heart
Be Not So Fearful

No More Poetry

Cars Can't Escape

Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
Message From Mid-Bar
Let's Not Get Carried Away
Kicking Television
Thirteen

Blasting Fonda

And For the potential CD-R of Wilco Acoustic Stuff...5 non-encore potential candidates & 20 from the final Hootenanny Encore Set...

Non-encore songs:

Childlike & Evergreen (Jeff solo acoustic)
No More Poetry (Jeff solo acoustic)

Dash 7 (Jeff and Nels only; Nels on lap steel)

Shakin' Sugar (aka Alone) (Jeff, John and Glenn only)
Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)

Encore Hootenanny Set Songs:

Outta Mind (Outta Sight)*
Art Of Almost (original arrangement)*
The Thanks I Get*
California Stars*

True Love Will Find You In The End* [Daniel Johnston]

Give Back The Key To My Heart* [Doug Sahm]
Be Not So Fearful* [bill Fay]
I'm The Man Who Loves You*

Too Far Apart*

New Madrid*
Dawned On Me*
Dreamer In My Dreams*

Passenger Side*

I Got You (At The End of the Century)* ("This Is 40" arrangement)
Thirteen*
Misunderstood*
Someone Else's Song*

Airline To Heaven*

Whole Love*

Shot In The Arm*

Updated after Night #5- As Yet Unplayed Songs- 18 songs left (down from 25), so it looks highly unlikely that they will pick off all of these last ones, but WHAT A RUN!! And who knows how many more they might do. On Night #% they did knock 8 of the list of 25.

My fave album "The Whole Love" has been the least represented with 5 songs still left undone, including the infamous never performed by the band "Sunloathe".

"A.M." (2)

I Thought I Held You

That's Not the Issue

'Being There" (2)

Far Far Away

Was I In Your Dreams

"Summerteeth" (2)

We're Just Friends

My Darling

"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (0)

DONE

"A Ghost Is Born" (0)

DONE

"Sky Blue Sky" (3)

Sky Blue Sky

Please Be Patient With Me

Leave Me Like You Found Me

"Wilco (The Album)" (2)

Solitaire

Sonny Feeling

"The Whole Love" (5)

Sunloathe

Black Moon

Open Mind

Capitol City

Rising Red Lung

"Mermaid Ave. Vol. I & II"(1-?)

Christ For President

Blood Of The Lamb

(Joe DiMaggio Done It Again)

(She Came Along To Me)

(*Material from Vol. 3 Box Set - "When The Roses Bloom Again", "Listening To The Wind That Blows", "The Jolly Banker", etc.

Joe DiMaggio Done It Again has been a request of mine at every NY show. I can't believe they didn't even do it at Cooperstown.

Joe DiMaggio Done It Again has been a request of mine at every NY show. I can't believe they didn't even do it at Cooperstown.

I was at Cooperstown myself, & I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!! While I root for the Mets & Red Sox before the Yankees, the Yanks are my 3rd fave & one of the folks I was there with was a huge Yankees fan & now I can't believe he didn't think of it!!! I believe that one was a Guthrie-Bragg song that Tweedy sang, but still... Next time for sure!! I'll get a few folks & we'll stuff the ballot box with you!!

I was at Cooperstown myself, & I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!! While I root for the Mets & Red Sox before the Yankees, the Yanks are my 3rd fave & one of the folks I was there with was a huge Yankees fan & now I can't believe he didn't think of it!!! I believe that one was a Guthrie-Bragg song that Tweedy sang, but still... Next time for sure!! I'll get a few folks & we'll stuff the ballot box with you!!

Sounds like a plan! I thought for sure they'd bust it out after talking about going to the Hall of Fame and seeing a bunch of broken bats, LOL.

These stats are interesting and all, but where do y'all find the time to do this? Bored at work?

It wasn't a slow morning either, it was a busy night...did it all on breaks from paperwork, quite late at night my acupuncture office actually (my other breaks were playing guitar- and for you stats junkies last night was all acoustic run for me with a rare maple Martin J-65- I usually use more than one guitar...OK unplugged Telecaster for maybe 10 minutes too ;) ), & it was pretty quick & easy to compile actually. Two other posters here did the main legwork/heavy lifting on, first, what hadn't been done yet from the standard officially released albums, which was done by mus2009, & then what ones had been repeated but with different versions & what night, & how they were done, which was compiled by mdjr.

All I did was add that Night 5 info to their previous legwork & then put down the outright repeats from Night 5 (first night that had occured), tossed together the hootenanny sets in one place (someone elsewhere had the idea of making a CD-R of those for a virtual Wilco acoustic-unplugged album), & then the most involved I guess, & it was pretty easy, was when I combed the old set lists to compile the non-album tracks they'd played (19 & counting). It really wasn't that much work & it didn't take that long.

Not having it take that long means that I got to spend lots my breaks playing plenty of guitar, & I can get you my full set list from last night too ;). About an equal mix of originals & covers & no electric plugged in, since I've got a solo acoustic slot coming up in January, & I did some work on some stuff that I've started working on with a female vocalist who I'm rehearsing with tonight in fact. :)

In regards to the repeats I read a hilarious bit of dialogue from the "After The Show" thread on last night- again from mdjr (who kindly compiled what different versions of songs had been done & when & how etc.)

"Best Jeff banter of the night:

After Panthers..."So that was a repeat....but was it the same? You don't know....Glenn played with a casual detachment. Nels used a thinner pick, Pat was thinking about Xmas. Mike is a robot he's always thinking the same thing. (Mimes robot). He's the only one we can program to do things the same. You ever been to Chuckee Cheese? That's where we got him. He could only play the banjo back then"

After careful statistical analysis of the songs played and not played, the following 12 songs (along with 18 "repeats" or "modified versions") are most likely to be played tonight:

That's Not The Issue
Far Far Away
Was I In Your Dreams
Sky Blue Sky
Sonny Feeling
Sunloathe
Capitol City
Rising Red Lung

Let Me Come Home
Any Major Dude Will Tell You
Student Loan Stereo
Unlikely Japan

After careful statistical analysis of the songs played and not played, the following 12 songs (along with 18 "repeats" or "modified versions") are most likely to be played tonight:

That's Not The Issue

Far Far Away

Was I In Your Dreams

Sky Blue Sky

Sonny Feeling

Sunloathe

Capitol City

Rising Red Lung

Let Me Come Home

Any Major Dude Will Tell You

Student Loan Stereo

Unlikely Japan

and then of course Dash 7....ha

yes, that would be a very welcome repeat. 

as would Bull Black Nova.  They seem to be staying right on the printed setlists, so I guess bringing the sign back out would be pretty pointless. 

I hadn't heard them play Bull Black Nova in a few years before Saturday night, god that song is so awesome live

Was looking through the prior Wilco20 setlists and we haven't gotten these songs that were played: Promising, When The Roses Bloom Again, Far Far Away, Was I In Your Dreams, Solitaire and Blood of the Lamb.  Would also like to see Christ for President and an electric New Madrid tonight.  Can't believe tonight is the last show.  I did Milwaukee/all of Chicago and I could do another few shows next week for sure.