• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else watch Obama's speech last night at the JFK library?  He phoned it in.  It was super boring and monotone.  Maybe he was trying to show that he can deliver a speech while falling asleep and still be more coherent than this new guy.    

Or maybe he was reeling from the bombshell announcement that...SPOLIER ALERT:  Turn away now unless you want your opinion of Obama to be permanently sullied...

...he had a girlfriend before he met Michelle. And (NSFW material below.  Steel yourself for this)....

...they had sex.

You know it's possible to both admire Obama AND be critical of him, right?

You know the conversation we're having right now began with me, an admirer of Obama, criticizing him, right?

OK? Guess you didn't approve of mine then.

What was your criticism, again?  That he's giving a speech for money?  I honestly couldn't care less about that, and neither should anyone else.

I appreciate you dictating how I should care about it. Thank you. 

You're the one who got sanctimonious right off the bat.   But feel free to explain what the concern is with taking money for speeches.

Also, learn the definition of dictate.  

I think it's unfortunate. I think there's a lot of Wall Street rich people who gamble with other peoples money, who should have gone to jail when Obama was in office, and they didn't. Now he's collecting a huge paycheck from them. 

dic·tate
verb

ˈdikˌtāt,ˌdikˈtāt/
  1. 1.
    lay down authoritatively; prescribe.

I think it's unfortunate. I think there's a lot of Wall Street rich people who gamble with other peoples money, who should have gone to jail when Obama was in office, and they didn't. Now he's collecting a huge paycheck from them. 

dic·tate
verb

ˈdikˌtāt,ˌdikˈtāt/
  1. 1.
    lay down authoritatively; prescribe.

Stating an opinion of what people should do or think is in no way authoritative.  If it is, then I'm the world's least effectual dictator.

I don't think either side of this argument should be all that hard to fathom.

1. Wall Street is one of the most powerful, and at times predatory entities in American business and politics. They have lobbyists, and have stuffed the pockets of so many politicians to serve their interests and not those of the citizens/economic health. Having a dignified figure such as Obama take large sums of money from them is disappointing.

2. Most former presidents embark on lucrative speaking engagements, including speaking for Wall Street. Why shouldn't Obama cash in? His speech now doesn't change any of his history as a president. 

You guys can be mad at me (or just clarify) if I'm reductionist on either side, or misreading things.

You guys have done an excellent job of moderating yourselves. :lol Three cheers for civility, even in political discourse! And a huge raspberry blown in the direction of FrogFace Trump, in honor of the Very Bad Day he is having.

Sally Yates bitch slapping Ted Cruz. It's a beautiful thing.

As a Georgia resident, I hope I'll get to vote for her for senator or governor in the very near future.

I wonder what legal channels are available to keep the investigation on track. It would be awesome if Comey just published everything damning he had on his way out the door.

Congress has to step up. Meaning we, the people, need to step up...