• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://archive.org/details/gd1984-04-19.sbd.miller.118658.flac16

https://archive.org/details/gd1984-04-20.sbd.miller.103432.flac16

https://archive.org/details/gd1984-04-21.137247.sbd.miller.flac1648

If you haven't heard these or heard them in awhile, here's a reminder.  Smoking run in Philly Spring of '84.  I like most of these better than 10/12, 10/20, 6/27 and the Greek run, although all those are good shows that year.  I got no problems with 1984 shows when they were on,  Check out the Scarlet>Fire, Let It Grow, Help>Slip, Estimated, Bird Song, just tons of highlights in this Philly run!

Those are great shows...I"ve always found 83 and 84 to be very underrated....

Yeah, people harp on those years for Jerry being at a low point with drug addiction and unhealthiness, which is true, and there were some bad shows and his voice was shot maybe half the time, but the musical performance peaks were really not that scarce in those years as some make it out to be and I think it applies to JGB and the Dead.

The sound quality of the recordings makes a big difference to me and there were some sweet SBD recordings in '84 and '85, probably better than the quality of the boards in '82 and '83 overall.  These Philly shows sound pretty great to my ears!

Yeah, people harp on those years for Jerry being at a low point with drug addiction and unhealthiness, which is true, and there were some bad shows and his voice was shot maybe half the time, but the musical performance peaks were really not that scarce in those years as some make it out to be and I think it applies to JGB and the Dead.

The sound quality of the recordings makes a big difference to me and there were some sweet SBD recordings in '84 and '85, probably better than the quality of the boards in '82 and '83 overall.  These Philly shows sound pretty great to my ears!

It still astonishes me that no matter how bad Garcia looked in '83 and '84 in particular he still had moments - entire shows, even - where he was just playing the most amazing shit. It seems (to me) that every year from Brent coming on board from '79 through '82 the band just got better as a whole. '82 is a high point of that particular period. In '83 and '84 things get a bit more hit/miss and erratic. That said there's many many shows that are mind-blowing. If he was on he was ON, but if not....well he was not. 

I've always thought that the reason '85 is so highly regarded is a direct result of the good number of incredible boards that circulated. Some of those '85 shows just leap out of the speakers and grab you by the balls and scream "PAY ATTENTION!". There are shows in '80-'82 where the boards are kind of flat, missing Bobby a LOT or Phil, etc. I still listen to 'em a lot anyway - it's a very exciting era for me.

• 1 month later...

9/23/82 - My first show, 37 years ago today. 

Alabama Getaway > Greatest Story, Peggy-O > Little Red Rooster, Tennessee Jed, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Althea, Let It Grow

Touch Of Gray > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Ship of Fools, Throwing Stones > Drums > The Wheel > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Around & Around > Johnny B. Goode E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

Here's my little blog post commemorating it: https://qoo.ly/zu2rz

And there's a nice board on the archive: https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-23.sbd.miller.108973.flac16

I was 16 that year. I don't think I knew anyone that listened to the GD. I did not really learn about them until I was in the military. About two years later. I'm not going to get into it here - but I like your previous blog post also.

I was 16 that year. I don't think I knew anyone that listened to the GD. I did not really learn about them until I was in the military. About two years later. I'm not going to get into it here - but I like your previous blog post also.

Thanks, A-man! Yeah, I was a mere 17 on that date. Kinda weird now to think that I'd already seen Kiss, Aerosmith and The Who. Jerry & Co. definitely took my head in a different direction...

Never easy hearing about a death, but 78 a great, ripe age. I think he was still writing until the end for various people. Wish he could have wrote at least one tune for Dead & Co -- but that probably would have been to close to the bone with him, not to mentioned that probably neither the band or him had any desire to do so. 

Always enjoyed that he was such a private dude, for the most part. I followed his travel/concert blog that he kept, during the late 90's or maybe early '00's - always was an interesting read. 

Only caught him play a few times, with two of those times at the Terrapin Station reunion weekend. 

Too many to quote...but...

“When there was no dream of mine, you dreamed of me”

“She comes skimmin’ through rays of violet, she can wade in a drop of dew”

“Once in a while, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right”

“Let there be songs to fill the air”

Wow. A lot of us remember exactly where we were when we got the news that Jerry died. I'll never forget this news.

I was driving down the road tonight and pulled up to a stop light. Picked up my phone, checked the board here, and read the update.

My iTunes was playing the version of Ripple from Reckoning (where Jerry says, "That's Otis").

A quote from the RS article: “What we were doing was almost sacred. The spirit of the times. … there was a time I felt this was the way the world would be going in a spiritual way, and we were an important part of that. I didn’t feel we were a pop music band. I wanted to write a whole different sort of music.” He told RS that his favorite line was in “Ripple: “Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.”

​So I literally got the news while listening to the song that contains Hunter's own favorite line. Mind blown.

Thanks, Robert.

any head who hasn’t yet watched the documentary “anthem to beauty” should seek it out. i haven’t viewed it in ages, but i still get chills thinking about robert discussing his lyric writing for american beauty. he was really tapped into some spring of eloquence that even he acknowledged “was not made by the hands of men”. that was my first dead album (dad’s old copy on my first turntable in 5th grade), and the gateway for years of amazing, ear-opening, soul-reorganizing music that has followed ever since. ripple, brokedown palace, attics- all still bring chills, but the most meaningful for me for a long time has been box of rain. it took on greater meaning for me when my dad died of cancer when I was 23, and I recalled robert talking about writing it for phil when his own dad was sick.

“maybe you’ll find direction, around some corner where it’s been waiting to meet you...”

Hunter receiving his songwriting award at the American Music awards references his writing of those classic songs, and is a fine tribute:

https://youtu.be/GDw5LFiwoK4

Hunter was one of the first Americans to take psychedelics, including LSD, in government funded studies, before anyone else turned on. When Jerry had his first acid trip and freaked out, Hunter was there to talk him down, before the Grateful Dead came in to existence. He spent a period of his life using DMT intravenously, over 50 years ago. He then went on to map the American collective unconscious of the 60's, painting fables in technicolor, and leaving a trail for anyone interested to follow. 

Like the morning sun you come, and like the wind you go...

any head who hasn’t yet watched the documentary “anthem to beauty” should seek it out. i haven’t viewed it in ages, but i still get chills thinking about robert discussing his lyric writing for american beauty. he was really tapped into some spring of eloquence that even he acknowledged “was not made by the hands of men”. that was my first dead album (dad’s old copy on my first turntable in 5th grade), and the gateway for years of amazing, ear-opening, soul-reorganizing music that has followed ever since. ripple, brokedown palace, attics- all still bring chills, but the most meaningful for me for a long time has been box of rain. it took on greater meaning for me when my dad died of cancer when I was 23, and I recalled robert talking about writing it for phil when his own dad was sick.

“maybe you’ll find direction, around some corner where it’s been waiting to meet you...”

Box Of Rain, Ripple and Brokedown Palace, for me, may be his finest, most psychedelic lyrics and all three are from the same time period, he was tapped into something deeper for sure.  Its shocking how good they are, I've listened to all three in a row a bunch of times, a repeated them several times in the last 24 hours.

Box Of Rain, to me, is the most eloquent articulation of my psychedelic experiences and what I think of as the philosophical worldview that they helped me crystalize. 

And it's just a box of rain

I don't know who put it there

Believe it if you need it

Or leave it if you dare

And it's just a box of rain

Or a ribbon for your hair

Such a long long time to be gone

And a short time to be there

Box of Rain is a great example of Hunter using hypnotic techniques in his writing to connect with the listener. Hypnosis uses non-specific specific statements to connect with the subject, thereby making them more open to suggestions. For example, in hypnosis the therapist may say "your eyes may feel heavy, maybe you hear the wind outside, you may feel the bottom of your feet..." etc. during the induction, while Hunter writes "any window, any morning, maybe the sun is shining, maybe you're tired and broken, maybe you'll find direction..." etc. Chances are you're able to connect with one or more of those vague lines in the moment, and then you are open to his offer of a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair, if you want it, if you don't that's ok, your choice. 

I recall seeing this on cd bootlegs in the place I use to buy cds in the mid 1990s - it was called Earthquake Weather:

Ready or Not (11-22-2019)

Tracklist
1. Liberty (Live At Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, 10/14/1994)
2. Eternity (Live At They Pyramid, Memphis, TN, 4/2/1995)
3. Lazy River Road (Live At Dean Smith Center, University Of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 3/25/1993)
4. Samba In The Rain (Live At The Omni, Atlanta, GA, 3/30/1995)
5. So Many Roads (Live At Star Lake Amphitheatre, Burgettstown, PA, 6/23/1992)
6. Way To Go Home (Live At Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN, 6/28/1992)
7. Corrina (Live At Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, 10/14/1994)
8. Easy Answers (Live At Specturm, Philadelphia, PA, 9/13/1993)
9. Days Between (Live At Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland, CA, 12/11/1994)

• 2 weeks later...