New Jeff Tweedy album November 30th (called WARM)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I could find. I emailed customer service at the Wilco store to see what the deal is since it looks like if you buy online you get a download.

I asked amazon about the download as almost all vinyl I buy has the auto rip function but they said it was at the artist request to not include download. I don’t like having to buy the same album twice it’s very frustrating.

I'm still waiting for my copy, so I haven't listened to the whole album yet. Not sure if this has already been posted here, but there's a lengthy interview/discussion between Jeff and George Saunders over at GQ.com:

https://www.gq.com/story/jeff-tweedy-george-saunders-epic-conversation

It’s even more frustrating when this is the text at the Wilcostore. Maybe we need to buy directly from them?

Each physical album includes liner notes by George Saunders and a digital download

I got it from the Wilco store, and they emailed me download notifications, there was no little slip with a code in they vinyl packaging.

Listened to it three times through now, and my first impression is it is great. "Warm" is a great title because it fits the vibe. Minus "Let's Go Rain," which I just can't get into, and the first half of "How Will I Find You," which I think is weak until the guitar gets going, this is a just a pleasure from start to finish. Highlights for me are "Some Birds," "Don't Forget" and "I Know What It's Like." And "Having Been."

This album is proving to be a grower for me. I’ve had it on repeat for several hours over each of the past two days and it is slowly revealing itself to me. I love I Know What It’s Like, and Let’s Go Rain is creeping up there in status as well.

Really like "Warm" on first listen. Nice vibe & performances. I like how he has involved Spencer & Sammy. Looks like Sammy is developing into a really good photographer. I like the album art a lot. I probably need to listen more but I've been stuck on the Bowie Glastonbury 2000 release. Some things are just holy, doncha know.  ;)

Have only listened once. but am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by the album?  I quite liked the last 2 Wilco albums, but he seems to have taken some of the less interesting parts of those and done something that is not too far removed from them. There is a real similarity with those albums (and the Tweedy album) and wonder what is the need for Wilco albums if the solo ones are going to sound virtually the same (excepting Nels' guitar solos) . How does he decide which set of songs go out under which name?

Favorite track: I Know What It's Like.

Have only listened once. but am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by the album?  I quite liked the last 2 Wilco albums, but he seems to have taken some of the less interesting parts of those and done something that is not too far removed from them. There is a real similarity with those albums (and the Tweedy album) and wonder what is the need for Wilco albums if the solo ones are going to sound virtually the same (excepting Nels' guitar solos) . How does he decide which set of songs go out under which name?

Favorite track: I Know What It's Like.

I highly recommend listening more than once. While I'm confused by those saying this is a slow builder and they are finally getting it (really, after 2 entire days? Doesn't seem that slow of a builder then), I think it takes 2-3 listens to pick up the vibe, nuance. 

Yeah, the words that come to mind for this album are 'concise' and 'immediate'. I think some of the songs only grow with understanding the lyrics (Bombs Above for me), but unlike Schmilco that had a lot of very off kilter elements I think Warm is more of your Summer Noon, and Taste the Ceiling side of Jeff's writing.

As for the difference between this and Wilco, it's a valid point. This is essentially the first step in how a Wilco record gets made. I think a lot of other things happen once those other guys put their stamp on something, and different material would probably be selected to give the band version the ideal platform to shine.

I'm loving the twang throughout the album. I hear bits of Uncle Tupelo and "Being There" era Wilco. After four listens "Don't Forget" may be my favorite song, but that may change. I need to study the lyrics at some point soon.

"Scan Wilco's audience"..."and you'll see"..."the saddest fist-pumps in rock music"

Ouch!! I'm offended.

No, "Ouch! will be the name of the next Wilco album, following the 2 Tweedy releases, "Warm" and then

"Warmer" in the Spring. Warm, Warmer, Ouch!

I kid, I kid, that's what a kidsmoke does!  :stunned

Somehow the really heavy songs tend to grab me first.  On Sukierae, it was "Nobody Dies Anymore".  On Warm, it's definitely "How Hard It Is For A Desert To Die."  I heard that for the first time solo acoustic, and it was one of those songs that just stops you in your tracks.  All I could manage to say was "wow".  The album version is beautiful.  I love all the open space in the song, and the unhurried and sparse, condensed lyrics.  Gorgeous.  It's tracked right before  "Let's Go Rain", and I think that's because you really need a jolt of lightheartedness right after it.  Kinda the way that "You and I" is tracked right after "Bull Black Nova" to erase the intensity of the panic-attack-set-to-music.

Anyway, that's my current standout track. Loving the whole record, especially in light of the book.  Red Brick / Warm is amazing too.

"Scan Wilco's audience"..."and you'll see"..."the saddest fist-pumps in rock music"

Ouch!! I'm offended.

That line just cracked me up. While I don’t think it’s really true, it does have a certain “truthiness” to it.

So I was thinking about these new songs the other day, that they felt so familiar to me already. Part of it is that they are just good songs, warm and timeless. But another part of it is they (subtly) reminded me of older songs that I just couldn't put my finger on. It was killing me that I couldn't nail it down... until I did!

It finally came to me yesterday:

1. "Don't Forget" --> "Burned" (Wilco cover version)

2. Chorus of "I Know What it's Like" --> Chorus of "The Kids are Alright" by the Who

Does anyone else hear these similarities? Nothing so overt that it is a blatant copy, just subtle tone or melody influences. Any other connections people are making with these new songs?