• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I was chatting with my local record store owner this weekend and he said the distributor got significantly less copies of Warmer than they were expecting/hoping for. 5000 isn't a lot to go across the globe, so this might not just be a Canadian problem. I'm planning on arriving at my record store early.

I’m real nervous about being able to get a copy. Is 5000 a lot for a RSD pressing??

It’s a low number but my guess is a few weeks after rsd it’ll be rereleased as a color Vinyl or something that will vary slightly from the initial pressing

Wilco The digital version will come later this year but this will be the only release of WARMER in this format. Thanks!

Dang unfortunately if you don’t get lucky at rsd then it’ll be $$$ the completist in me is sweating

Dang unfortunately if you don’t get lucky at rsd then it’ll be $$$ the completist in me is sweating

If you don't get it, don't panic. Some areas will be better supplied than others. I'm sure other Wilco fans will be willing to help each other out. A lot of times a day or so after RSD, stores with left over supply will start listings theirs for sale. I got the Uncle Tupelo demos last year from Amoeba that way, for the same price in store (plus shipping). Whatever you do, don't buy an $80 copy off a flipper from Discogs till the dust settles. It'll take some time to determine the demand and the worth for that record, but you'll see copies on Discogs/eBay on Record Store Day for ridiculously inflated prices hoping to cash in on someone in a panic that they missed out. 

If you don't get it, don't panic. Some areas will be better supplied than others. I'm sure other Wilco fans will be willing to help each other out. A lot of times a day or so after RSD, stores with left over supply will start listings theirs for sale. I got the Uncle Tupelo demos last year from Amoeba that way, for the same price in store (plus shipping). Whatever you do, don't buy an $80 copy off a flipper from Discogs till the dust settles. It'll take some time to determine the demand and the worth for that record, but you'll see copies on Discogs/eBay on Record Store Day for ridiculously inflated prices hoping to cash in on someone in a panic that they missed out.

Usually most rsd items drop a few weeks after I will wait but will be constantly looking

I read somewhere amidst all of this madness that Warmer will be available to purchase at Solid Sound. I'm not sure where that originated from. Maybe someone asked the person selling merch at the solo Tweedy shows...

Wilco The digital version will come later this year but this will be the only release of WARMER in this format. Thanks!

this is curiously ambiguous

"this format" could mean its the only physical format, only vinyl format, only particular color of vinyl. I love record stores but hate record store day, so i'll hold out hope theres a regular cd release eventually. i'll be pretty disappointed if the RSD exclusive is truly the only physical release

I want a copy, and I don't even have a turntable. "Warm" is my favorite work of Jeff's in quite some time, and I really dig what I've heard from "Warmer." I'd rather have a CD, but it probably won't matter because I know I won't wake up early enough on Saturday.

Family Ghost is pretty great!

I'm not sure I recognize the T-Rex in it that NPR references.

Also, hadn't seen Jeff's comments from the press release:

"At some point I separated the songs from the WARM/WARMER session into two records with individual character," Tweedy says in a press release announcing the album. "But still tried to keep the overall tone and texture of the combined session consistent. In a lot of ways these two records could have been released as a double LP. WARMER means as much to me as WARM and might just as easily have been released as the first record of the pair."

I think it's cool Jeff is doing this to support indie record stores. I do think since there won't be any other way to hear this (at first) there will be more demand than the 3500 NA and 1500 EU copies can facilitate. This probably could have been an 8000 release. But, on the other hand, Jeff's people probably know the numbers better than me, an internet message board commentator!! Either way, keeping this as a true RSD exclusive is a great thing to do, IMHO. 

This will be my first RSD since I got a turntable - gonna try to nab one. Not going out of my way to get there super early to get in - the train schedule allows me 15 minutes prior to opening. 

Is it typical to call a store to see even if they will a copy or two to sell. Not really sure how this works. The RSD info sheet reads the below. Should I assume the will have copy or two of Warmer. 

Hyde Park Records
Select Record Store Day titles. 11 AM-8 PM, 1377 E. 53rd St., 773-288-6588, hydeparkrecords.com

This will be my first RSD since I got a turntable - gonna try to nab one. Not going out of my way to get there super early to get in - the train schedule allows me 15 minutes prior to opening. 

Is it typical to call a store to see even if they will a copy or two to sell. Not really sure how this works. The RSD info sheet reads the below. Should I assume the will have copy or two of Warmer. 

Hyde Park Records

Select Record Store Day titles. 11 AM-8 PM, 1377 E. 53rd St., 773-288-6588, hydeparkrecords.com

Doesn't hurt to call and ask. I have seen some record stores confirm what they will (or at least, what they won't) have in advance. Other record stores, like the one I'm going to in Winnipeg, won't say. Before I moved here, in my last city, there was two small stores that would just special order what you requested (though, they wouldn't always receive it) which is apparently unheard of in bigger communities.  :worried