Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th Anniversary Box Set Releases (09/30/2022)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I thought I heard a guy driving down Main Street blaring "Kamera" and singing along maniacally as if it were 2002 and he was hearing such sonic gold for the very first time. Then I glanced in th

Yes, the only way to get the super deluxe download is to buy the physical product. Think of it is paying good money for the download and getting a bonus physical product. The book that comes with the

Since I'm not an audio engineer, I enjoyed reading this thread and learning some things from those of you who are more expert. Thank you!

Posted Images

Just now, Oil Can Boyd said:

Yes but the US store has always doubled for Canada (and the rest of the world), the Wilco website even calls it "North America" store but this time it only lets you select America. 

Have my Silver Vinyl Super Deluxe and my 8 CD versions already ordered form the EU store! I was at the stage of thinking that this wasn't going to happen. A bit surprised at how complete this collection is on the audio side of things. Thought they would have included the I am trying to Break Your Heart movie as well as part of it though?

• Analogman changed the title to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Reissue (09/16/2022)
40 minutes ago, TCP said:

Yes but the US store has always doubled for Canada (and the rest of the world), the Wilco website even calls it "North America" store but this time it only lets you select America. 

Gotcha. Wasn't sure where you were (though the hockey stick should have been a clue).

• Haha 1

Shout out to US based friends letting me send this to their address.

1 hour ago, Oil Can Boyd said:

Gotcha. Wasn't sure where you were (though the hockey stick should have been a clue).

Good point, I should probably put a location down if I'm going to openly complain like that. 

Wilco, 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' 20th Anniversary Edition Track Listing
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Kamera
Radio Cure
War on War
Jesus, Etc.
Ashes of American Flags
Heavy Metal Drummer
I’m the Man Who Loves You
Pot Kettle Black
Poor Places
Reservations

American Aquarium: Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Anniversary (Nothing up My Sleeve)
Venus Stopped the Train
Poor Places
American Aquarium
Cars Can’t Escape
Kamera
War On War
Ashes of American Flags
Not for the Season (Laminated Cat)
Shakin’ Sugar
Let Me Come Home
Poor Places
Reservations

Here Comes Everybody: Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Remember to Remember (Hummingbird)
Kamera
Radio Cure
War on War
Venus Stopped the Train
The Good Part
Pot Kettle Black
Ashes of American Flags
Poor Places
Shakin’ Sugar
Reservations
Cars Can’t Escape

The Unified Theory of Everything: Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
A Magazine Called Sunset
Remember to Remember (Hummingbird)
Kamera
Radio Cure
War on War
Jesus, Etc.
Ashes of American Flags (Stravinsky Mix)
Heavy Metal Drummer
Pot Kettle Black
Poor Places
Reservations

Lonely in the Deep End: Demos, Drafts, Instrumentals, Etc.
Love Will (Let You Down)
Lost Poem Demo
I’m the Only One Who Lets Her Down
Has Anybody Seen My Pencil?
The Good Part
A Magazine Called Sunset
A Magazine Called Sunset (Backing Track)
Anniversary (Nothing Up My Sleeve)
Kamera
Jesus, Etc.
Reservations (Backing Track)
Let Me Come Home (Synth)
Ooby Dooby

Snoozin’ at the Pageant – Live 7/23/02 at The Pageant, St. Louis, MO
War on War
Kamera
Radio Cure
A Shot in the Arm
She’s a Jar
I’m Always in Love
Sunken Treasure
Jesus, Etc.
Heavy Metal Drummer
Pot Kettle Black
Ashes of American Flags
Reservations
California Stars
Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At the End of the Century)
Misunderstood
Far, Far Away
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
I’m a Wheel

TRANSMISSION: 9/18/01 Sound Opinions WXRT – Chicago, IL, With Greg Kot & Jim DeRogatis
Interview, Pt. 1
War on War (Live in Studio)
Interview, Pt. 2
Interview, Pt. 3
I’m the Man Who Loves You (Live in Studio) *
Interview, Pt. 4
Should’ve Been in Love (Live in Studio)
Interview, Pt. 5
She’s a Jar (Live in Studio)
Interview, Pt. 6
Ashes of American Flags (Live in Studio)

A few things I've found interesting:
-Nothing Up My Sleeve is a secondary title to Anniversary. Did we know this? 

-The three versions of Laminated Cat will be the first official Wilco studio release of this song

-What is "American Aquarium"? I would have guessed an early IATTBYH but it's sequenced right after an alternate version of IATTBYH, so maybe not?

-Won't Let You Down is not included, unless it's under a different name

-The only way to get the WXRT songs on vinyl is from the 7LP set, which is missing a lot of the outtakes. As a collector, this is my worst nightmare. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, TCP said:

-The three versions of Laminated Cat will be the first official Wilco studio release of this song

-What is "American Aquarium"? I would have guessed an early IATTBYH but it's sequenced right after an alternate version of IATTBYH, so maybe not?

-The only way to get the WXRT songs on vinyl is from the 7LP set, which is missing a lot of the outtakes. As a collector, this is my worst nightmare. 

The WXRT songs being on vinyl in the 7 LP set is confusing to me. It seems like the same amount of records are dedicated to the live show (3) in both sets, so I'm not sure how they fit on one set and not the other. Maybe a misprint on either the 11 or 7 disc version?

Also, I think "Love Will (Let You Down)" might be Won't Let You Down

2 hours ago, davidtobin100 said:

Have my Silver Vinyl Super Deluxe and my 8 CD versions already ordered form the EU store! I was at the stage of thinking that this wasn't going to happen. A bit surprised at how complete this collection is on the audio side of things. Thought they would have included the I am trying to Break Your Heart movie as well as part of it though?

Why do you need both? Don't they have the same content?

Personally, and I am talking from real experience, an11 LP expanded version is not going to get many plays in my house.  It ends up being some sort of huge trophy taking up way too much space. (Ripped) CDs or downloads are the way to go for me for demos/live albums etc. changing a side every 15 or 20 minutes gets tedious fast. Presume there's a nice book to flick through though. 

1 hour ago, TCP said:

Pretty sure that’s what that song has always been called, dating back to the Engineer Demos days. I mean, maybe it hasn’t ever officially been released in that form and maybe it was more commonly referred to as Anniversary when Jeff occasionally played it solo (kind of the same thing with Alone/Shakin’ Sugar) but anyway.

56 minutes ago, Analogman said:

I've never seen a source out there for that show (07/23/2002). I was curious if they were going to use a show we already heard or not heard. 

I think that’s a big goal of theirs when officially releasing a live show as part of a set like this is to find something that isn’t widely out there…

2 hours ago, TCP said:

Anniversary is the title of the song on the Roadcase sets that feature it.

Cross-posted from the Hoffman forums, by request:

The Super Deluxe Edition is basically a dream come true for me. I'm comparing the track list to what we already have circulating, in the form of the YHF Demos and the YHF Engineer Demos. This is just for fun and in anticipation of getting the box set this fall; the predictions below are based on the info I currently have and could be entirely wrong.

Disc Two: American Aquarium – Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Part 1)

1. Anniversary (Nothing Up My Sleeve): As far as I can tell, the versions from the YHF Demos and the YHF Engineer Demos are essentially the same. This might explain why the song appears only once on the super deluxe edition track list.
  2. Venus Stopped The Train: Only appears on the YHF Demos, not the YHF Engineer Demos. I'm going to guess that this is the version from the YHF Demos. Then what appears below on Here Comes Everybody? 
  3. Poor Places: Guessing this is the piano version from YHF Demos, with slightly different lyrics. "From the air conditioned room at the top of the stairs, at the head of the table."
  4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: I'm assuming this is the version from the YHF Demos, with what sounds like Ken Coomer on drums. The track is built primarily around electric piano. Some voice sampling that could be from The Conet Project. I'm assuming Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Part 1) refers to the earliest recordings. 
  5. American Aquarium: There are a couple instrumental tracks on YHF Demos that become "Corduroy Cutoff Girl" on YHF Engineer Demos. The latter includes the lyric: "I am an American aquarium peeping tom, peeping tom." So maybe this is that? Note it also includes some musical and lyrical content that ultimately ends up in "Radio Cure."
  6. Cars Can’t Escape: The early version of "Cars Can't Escape" appears on the YHF Demos under the title "Rhythm." It sounds like a Tweedy signing to a Bennett piano track; the changes, and especially the walk-down, sound like Bennett to me. I'm guessing this one is that, and the one below on Here Comes Everybody is from the YHF Engineer Demos, with the full band. No Stirrat on this version.
  7. Kamera: Possibly the YHF Demos version 1. That has not exactly a shuffle beat, but I'll say it shuffles along. There's shaker percussion heavy in the mix. Slightly different lyrics: "Flashes in my heart." Or, it might be the alternate version also from YHF Demos, with the fuzz guitar, that got further refined for YHF Engineer Demos and later appeared on More Like the Moon EP, under the spelling "Camera". Either one of those versions might be what's on disc 5 below, Lonely in the Deep End. Who knows? There are lots of stray "Kamera" versions out there.
  8. War On War: Interesting! This is not on YHF Demos, so this might be the version from YHF Engineer Demos. But then what would be the version below on Here Comes Everybody? Looks like we're either getting a new-to-us early version or maybe a further revised later version. Really curious to see what this will be.
  9. I’m The Man Who Loves You: Man, this song went through some changes. This could be the YHF Demos version, loaded up with multiple Jay Bennett slide guitars, at least one in each channel. 
  10. Ashes Of American Flags: Again, possibly the YHF Demos version, which is actually pretty faithful to what it ended up being on the album. Of course, Ken Coomer is drumming, so it has a different feel. 
  11. Not For The Season (Laminated Cat): There are two versions of this on YHF Demos, both up-tempo and far poppier than anything that was officially released to date. A pretty heavy backbeat by Coomer. The two versions are effectively the same; the second has a few seconds of a certain keyboard pitch before Tweedy counts the band in; the first starts at the count in.
  12. Shakin’ Sugar: Also known as "Alone," this is probably one of the two versions from the YHF Demos. They both begin with a drum machine intro; the second version has a longer drum machine intro and some intentionally bum notes played on acoustic guitar, but otherwise they sound essentially the same. 
  13. Let Me Come Home: There's an instrumental version of this on YHF Demos and a version with lyrics on YHF Engineer Demos; I'm guessing this is the latter. It was also released on Alpha Mike Foxtrot, with pretty funny annotation by Tweedy, to the effect that this is what unmedicated depression sounds like.
  14. Poor Places: Hmm. This might be the version from YHF Engineer Demos, but then what would be on Here Comes Everybody below? If it's the Engineer version, then this is much closer to the album version than the piano version noted above, though this one is based around an electric piano, with added noise and Conet Project samples.
  15. Reservations: The YHF Demos version is pretty noisy and not terribly different from what made the album. If I'm not mistaken, live versions of this song started appearing around 1999, so the band had some more time to flesh this out before committing it to a demo.

Disc Three: Here Comes Everybody – Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Part 2)

1. Not For The Season (Laminated Cat): No idea! Though there were two versions on YHF Demos, there is none on YHF Engineer Demos. I'm really hoping for a previously unreleased band version with Glenn on drums.
  2. Remember To Remember (Hummingbird): Maybe this is the version from The Wilco Book, also released on Alpha Mike Foxtrot. Note that there's also a song on The Wilco Book called "Here Comes Everybody," which was reportedly an early title for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. However! The Wilco Book version of "Hummingbird" has Glenn on hammered dulcimer, so maybe this is a previous version.
  3. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: If this is the YHF Engineer Demos version, then it has the Ken Coomer drum intro, just like the album version. But Glenn doesn't appear on this one, unlike the album version where his iconic drum part takes over.
  4. Kamera: Likely the fuzzy YHF Engineer Demos version that has been released before, as discussed above.
  5. Radio Cure: Very curious about this one! It doesn't appear on either of the leaked demo sets, unless you count "Corduroy Cutoff Girl." This could be new to us.
  6. War On War: See above, this could also be new to us.
  7. Venus Stopped The Train: See above, could also be new.
  8. I’m The Man Who Loves You: Possibly the version from YHF Engineer Demos, which still has the slide guitars but not so heavily in the mix. Getting closer to the album version. Jim O'Rourke would further mix the slide guitars down for that.
  9. The Good Part: Likely the version previously released as a B-side to the War on War single, also on Alpha Mike Foxtrot.
  10. Pot Kettle Black: This isn't on YHF Demos, so this is likely the Engineer version, which is pretty close to the album version. Slightly different lyrics. "and that's all you got. but I'm not gonna get caught"
  11. Ashes Of American Flags: If this is the YHF Engineer Demos version, it sounds like probably the same basic tracks from the YHF Demos version, plus some noisy overdubs, and the electric guitar overdubs that are on the album version. There's still some stuff here that O'Rourke would strip away in the final mix.
  12. Poor Places: Likely the Engineer version, much more austere than the bouncy piano version discussed above, and closer to what appeared in the final mix.
  13. Shakin’ Sugar: Probably the version from YHF Engineer Demos. A different drum machine-sounding backing track, that I suppose might actually be Ken Coomer. Some fuzz guitar over the top. A different vocal take from the versions noted above.
  14. Reservations: If this is the YHF Engineer Demos version, then it's some of the same noisy background track as the above version, but it sounds like a different vocal take, and there are additional instrumental overdubs, some of which were stripped out of the final mix.
  15. Cars Can’t Escape: As noted above, this might be the full band version people are familiar with, from the YHF Engineer Demos. This has a pretty killer bass line from John Stirrat.

Disc Four: The Unified Theory Of Everything – Building Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Part 3): My overall thoughts—and hopes—are that The Unified Theory of Everything refers to the long-rumored Jay Bennett album mix that has never seen the light of day. Check out the track list below: nearly identical to the final album, except that there are two additional songs up front, including the Bennett-friendly-power-pop "A Magazine Called Sunset". The story goes, essentially, that Bennett turned in his mix, and O'Rourke turned in his, and O'Rourke's won. In Bennett's telling, even he preferred O'Rourke's mix, if memory serves.

1. A Magazine Called Sunset: Released on More Like the Moon and Alpha Mike Foxtrot.
  2. Remember To Remember (Hummingbird): Could be same as above or maybe an alternate, more polished version. Who knows?
  3. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
  4. Kamera
  5. Radio Cure
  6. War On War
  7. Jesus, Etc.
  8. Ashes Of American Flags (Stravinsky Mix)
  9. Heavy Metal Drummer
  10. I’m The Man Who Loves You
  11. Pot Kettle Black
  12. Poor Places
  13. Reservations

Disc Five: Lonely In The Deep End – Demos, Drafts, Etc.: These are likely all things we haven't heard before, and I'm guessing Tweedy solo demos or maybe even Tweedy/Bennett loft demos that have long been written about. "Jesus, etc." gets its name from a tape Bennett made with a song called "Jesus," and others. He wrote "Jesus, etc." on the cassette box and the rest is history.

1. Love Will (Let You Down): Maybe "Won't Let You Down" from the YHF Demos? Lyrics include "Our love will let you down."
  2. Lost Poem Demo
  3. I’m The Only One Who Lets Her Down
  4. Has Anybody Seen My Pencil?
  5. The Good Part
  6. A Magazine Called Sunset
  7. A Magazine Called Sunset (Backing Track)
  8. Anniversary (Nothing Up My Sleeve) (Backing Track)
  9. Kamera
  10. I’m The Man Who Loves You
  11. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
  12. Jesus, Etc.
  13. Reservations (Backing Track)
  14. Let Me Come Home (Synth)
  15. Ooby Dooby
  • Like 1

I guess those Engineer Demos got around. I can't recall who sent it to me - but it has a note in the cd sleeve that states "do not copy". There is no artwork for the one I have. That must have came later. 

51 minutes ago, bböp said:

Pretty sure that’s what that song has always been called, dating back to the Engineer Demos days. I mean, maybe it hasn’t ever officially been released in that form and maybe it was more commonly referred to as Anniversary when Jeff occasionally played it solo (kind of the same thing with Alone/Shakin’ Sugar) but anyway.

I think that’s a big goal of theirs when officially releasing a live show as part of a set like this is to find something that isn’t widely out there…

2 for 2 - we don't have the Sound Opinions show either 

5 minutes ago, Analogman said:

I guess those Engineer Demos got around. I can't recall who sent it to me - but it has a note in the cd sleeve that states "do not copy". There is no artwork for the one I have. That must have came later. 

They were widely circulated, I'd thought. I don't remember who sent them to me or whether they had any "in" with anybody.

3 minutes ago, gabepride said:

They were widely circulated, I'd thought. I don't remember who sent them to me or whether they had any "in" with anybody.

I have an entire cd suitcase full of Ryan Adams tracks/albums and another one full of Black Crowes tracks/albums. It used to be that stuff was out there to be had. Not now. I can not recall if the Wilco studio stuff was ever on Dime a Dozen. 

1 minute ago, Analogman said:

I have an entire cd suitcase full of Ryan Adams tracks/albums and another one full of Black Crowes tracks/albums. It used to be that stuff was out there to be had. Not now. I can not recall if the Wilco studio stuff was every on Dime a Dozen. 

It's quite possible I got them from someone here—not you, I'm sure—but someone. Hard to remember after *gasp* twenty years.

Just now, gabepride said:

It's quite possible I got them from someone here—not you, I'm sure—but someone. Hard to remember after *gasp* twenty years.

Ha Ha not me - I never copied the discs. 

I wonder if we’ll get the extended vinyl version of Pot Kettle Black on digital or cd. I believe One Sunday Morning is the only other song in their discography that has an extended vinyl version. 

I have the engineer demos and the other set of demos that was floating around, but reading that Hoffman forum track by track breakdown gets me really excited for all of the other stuff that's on here that likely hasn't seen the light of day.

• Analogman changed the title to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th Anniversary Box Set Releases (09/16/2022)
  • Analogman changed the title to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th Anniversary Box Set Releases (09/30/2022)