Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th Anniversary Box Set Releases (09/30/2022)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I thought I heard a guy driving down Main Street blaring "Kamera" and singing along maniacally as if it were 2002 and he was hearing such sonic gold for the very first time. Then I glanced in th

Yes, the only way to get the super deluxe download is to buy the physical product. Think of it is paying good money for the download and getting a bonus physical product. The book that comes with the

Since I'm not an audio engineer, I enjoyed reading this thread and learning some things from those of you who are more expert. Thank you!

Posted Images

For everyone passing on this box or considering not getting it because they already have the YHF Demos/Engineer Demos tracks: there is so much stuff not released on those sets in this collection that I'm amazed. I'd be curious to see a comparison of the box to those demo sets to see just how much overlap there is, but it's definitely not as much as I was expecting.

I have one more disc to go from the 8 CD set, but so far two standouts that I hadn't heard anywhere else are the Not For The Season (Laminated Cat) from Disc 2 (starts slow and sluggish but it's a good one) and the Ashes of American Flags from disc 3 (has kind of a sinister feel by the end compared to the album version). LOTS of other great stuff throughout.

• Like 1

My weekend proved overstuffed, so I haven't yet had much opportunity to dive deep into the set, but just a cursory glance and listen at the contents has me over the moon. As someone who has spent decades with the YHF demos/engineer's demos, I agree with maxspr1 that there's still a treasure trove of unfamiliar material here. I'm also struck by how the tracks have been presented in a way that even the Criterion Collection might envy. Discs 2-4, especially, appear to be arranged into albums from the multiverse; these are what may have been the released versions of YHF had different decisions been made. The included book seems equally fussed over. This box set is exactly what I've spent decades wishing for.

Bonus points for the awesome T-shirt and baseball cap!

Thanks for the early reviews. Is the 8-CD set comprehensive, or do the vinyl and download releases have versions that are not included on the CD set? Thanks.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:13 AM, Yaz Rock said:

Thanks for the early reviews. Is the 8-CD set comprehensive, or do the vinyl and download releases have versions that are not included on the CD set? Thanks.

The 8 CD set has all 102 tracks plus the rather extensive book/liner notes. It’s all housed in a vinyl LP sized box, in case anyone was wondering.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, maxspr1 said:

The 8 CD set has all 102 tracks plus the rather extensive book/liner notes. It’s all housed in a vinyl LP sized box, in case anyone was wondering.

Great, thank you!

Today I thought I heard a guy driving down Main Street blaring "Kamera" and singing along maniacally as if it were 2002 and he was hearing such sonic gold for the very first time. Then I glanced in the rearview mirror and realized it was me. Phone my family, tell 'em I'm lost.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Beltmann said:

Today I thought I heard a guy driving down Main Street blaring "Kamera" and singing along maniacally as if it were 2002 and he was hearing such sonic gold for the very first time. Then I glanced in the rearview mirror and realized it was me. Phone my family, tell 'em I'm lost.

I seriously can't wait to play every version of Camera back to back. It will be like a master class in production and arrangement.

• Like 2

There's two things I'm really impressed with:

1) The amount of content we've never heard before. 

2) The sound quality of the stuff we have heard

Sounds great on vinyl but I'm looking forward to having the digital version on Friday and bouncing between different versions of songs and comparing the differences. 🤓

I received the 11 LP sets a few days ago. Very impressed with the sound quality of the alternative tracks. So cool to hear new variations of songs that we know and love. Also happy to report that the disks are flat and sound really clean.
However I did just discover that my box is missing LP7 and instead contains duplicates of LP 8. I reached out to Kung Fu with the issue and will update in case anyone else has run into this issue.

This is fascinating. Right now I only have access to the Unified Theory version on Spotify, but had to pony up and get the CDs so I could hear the other discs.

The early version of Hummingbird is straight out of the multiverse. 

Early Poor Places sounds like a Being There song, and I kind of love it.

I kind of want to smack the synthesizer out of Bennett's hands on Pot Kettle Black. But we must respect that these are all of the explorations they never thought they'd share until they got to the ideal version.

Just got my my 8-cd version and its beautiful :) for those that went the cd route > is there supposed to be slip/card with mp3 download info or is that meant to be emailed to you? I will cop to having bought it on @mazon to save some $$$ so that might be my issue...

30 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

I listened to the Pageant show today. Weird listening to the band without either Jay or the current line-up. I think Jay was gone by then but I could be wrong.

I'm 98% sure you're right. I've seen videos from this era. Leroy and Glenn had their hands full.

• Like 1

Yeah the concert is from July 2002, Jay would have been gone for about a year. I'm not sure if Mike was performing with the band, I know early on he was doing some stuff, like cuing up samples from backstage, but he's not credited in the linernotes at all. 

Bob Mehr's essay is really worth reading, it has some really interesting details about the recording of the album and the Jay's departure. Ultimately though, the music is the highlight here and this thing delivers. Between the album, the Loose Fur record, and Jay's leaked demos, I always figured we'd heard the majority of stuff from this era but that wasn't the case at all. The Summerteeth and Being There boxsets were really well done too but this one is on a whole different level, the amount of content on here is really staggering. The only thing I wish it had was a little bit more detail about what the American Aquarium, Here Comes Everybody, and Unified Theory records. I know individual performance listings probably aren't possible and we can infer a lot of details from what we know (like the version of Ashes and HMD were the ones Jay was trying to mix in the movie) but it'd be great to have some rough dates, know how much Glenn's involvement was, etc.

Most importantly: Can we start speculating about the A Ghost Is Born boxset set?? Coming fall 2024 hopefully! 😅

• Like 1

^ Yes to all of this! What secrets are in the AGiB vault?

Are there Ken Coomer drum tracks in any of this stuff?

I keep thinking there was a piece of promo material where Jeff ran down the parameters of each disc, but I can't seem to find it. I strongly suspect Unified Theory is the JB version of YHF, but that might not be entirely true.

• Like 1

Any Australians here? I ordered the CD version SDE via the AU Wilco Store back in April and prior to receiving the advice that the release had been delayed to 30/9, the method of delivering pre-release tracks has been through SendOwl. It's been a day now and there's been no notification from the web store as to what's happening re: mp3s. Anyone in the same boat? Advice?

On 9/29/2022 at 7:23 AM, BillLee said:

I received the 11 LP sets a few days ago. Very impressed with the sound quality of the alternative tracks. So cool to hear new variations of songs that we know and love. Also happy to report that the disks are flat and sound really clean.
However I did just discover that my box is missing LP7 and instead contains duplicates of LP 8. I reached out to Kung Fu with the issue and will update in case anyone else has run into this issue.

Just to follow up on this, Kung Fu back to me the next day and replied that they’re tied up with pre-orders for the next week or two and then will address replacement issues like mine.  Grateful for the quick reply from KF’s customer service

On 9/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, TCP said:

There's two things I'm really impressed with:

1) The amount of content we've never heard before. 

2) The sound quality of the stuff we have heard

Sounds great on vinyl but I'm looking forward to having the digital version on Friday and bouncing between different versions of songs and comparing the differences. 🤓

Agree. I am glad I took the plunge and bought the Super Deluxe CD set. I am still waiting on the physical version though. I think I am hearing background vocals and instruments I didn't notice on a song or two before, though I swear it is otherwise the same take. I was surprised that some takes were not included - the slowed-down, rocked out version of Kamera (I believe it was called "Fuzz Mix" on the bootlegs), and the over-the-top, sped-up version of Not For the Season. Some of the Lonely in the Deep End cuts are a little uncomfortable to listen to - they sound like they were recorded on a boombox. Still interesting though - all the variations are just really cool.

I wish i knew to get the CDs from bandcamp in order to get the different digital downloads. I presume they will be tagged, unlike the mp3 downloads that came from the YHF Reissue store. I will have to manually rip the discs now. Also, Amazon is selling the 8-CD set for $68.95