"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Engineer's Demos" Analysis?

i second the plea to post them as mp3 for us mac users. we are all slaves to itunes by now.

also, thanks for the advice on how to post things on ysi for macs. the only problem is (and you may ridicule me all you like, i certainly deserve it), i don't know how to make a folder into a zip file. is it as simple as changing the file extension or do i need to do something else?

thanks again! i am fully aware of how much i suck.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also, thanks for the advice on how to post things on ysi for macs. the only problem is (and you may ridicule me all you like, i certainly deserve it), i don't know how to make a folder into a zip file. is it as simple as changing the file extension or do i need to do something else?

A Zip file is a method of compressing multiple files inot one smaller, more easily downloadable file. Since you're a Mac guy, you might be familiar with Stuffit. Same principle, except I don't think PC users can open Stuffed files (like .sit or sitx) ... If you google something like "Mac OS X Zip compress free download" you'll probably be able to find some freeware that allows you to create and open Zip files. Stuffit will automatically open Zipped files, but doesn't create them.

Good luck.

To make a zip on a MAC, highlight all the flies you want to include, control click and choose "add files to archive."

This is how i do it running tiger, eariler os's may be different

I downloaded the WMAs and had a friend with a PC convert them for me.

As for the engineer demos

I think IATTBYH is the same as the regular demo, with an added intro and some addition clicks in the background--but i like it

Camera wa spreviously available on More like the moon, no?

Not for the season is pretty much like the second version on the regular demos, with a louder snare drum

Corduory cutoff girl is pretty much Instrumental two with words, and kicks a lot of ass

Let me come home is instrumental one with words, and also kicks ass

A good collection overall, but i think the regular demos are a bit more solid.

I was just wondering if a full version of "Venus Stopped The Train" has ever showed up? Or "Won't Let You Down" without all skips and errors?

I have full versions of both those from the "other" YHF outtake disc. I can YSI them tomorrow...

I'd like to second the request for mp3 versions if anyone has them. I haven't been able to convert these to mp3 to import to iTunes (and WMA is a especially crappy compression format to begin with, so if someone has these files which haven't been converted to WMA first, that would be awesome...)

I have full versions of both those from the "other" YHF outtake disc. I can YSI them tomorrow...

I'd like to second the request for mp3 versions if anyone has them. I haven't been able to convert these to mp3 to import to iTunes (and WMA is a especially crappy compression format to begin with, so if someone has these files which haven't been converted to WMA first, that would be awesome...)

thank you for the offer I appreciate it. But I got the orginal YHF demos as well, I was just curious to see if on the Engineer Demo Version of Venus Stopped The Train if there was anything remarkably different, being as its one of the greatest unreleased wilco songs...

thank you for the offer I appreciate it. But I got the orginal YHF demos as well, I was just curious to see if on the Engineer Demo Version of Venus Stopped The Train if there was anything remarkably different, being as its one of the greatest unreleased wilco songs...

I only listened to the opening bit of the Engineer version, but it sounded exactly the same as the other version I had.

Wasn't it actually that other guy - I think his name is Chris, maybe? The dude from IATTBYH with long semi-curly brown hair, who's always in the control room running the boards? I think he's the engineer....

Chris Brickley may be his name. Anyway the full version of Venus Stopped The Train is on the other set of YHF demos, which can be downloaded in MP3 form in the music section of the grotto website. (http://www.the-grotto.com/talk/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=4673&message=16194).

--Mike

Venus Stopped The Train

One of my all time favorite Wilco songs.

It should have made the record.

it would suprise me if jeff pulls out out towards the end of the solo tour... as a surprise

yeah, great tune... catchy, hawnting, beautiful and freaky in one song :yes

Here's a fresh YSI

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0W5XSP5...BV3FR76AHQ4FV3B

And a note on these about the pops and scratches. I got this set of demos before they were allowed for active trading. Once I found out they were going to be allowed on the BT site awhile back I started posting them as YSI's here (I imagine a good number of people got these demos from that or people who made fresh links out of that initial batch). The person that I had gotten them from had actually done a good bit of work to clean them up as when he got them there were some songs that had problems. I'm assuming other trading versions of this (including the BT maybe) are in a pre-cleanup state. So that would explain why some people have songs with pops in them and some don't.

Hope that clears things up

Matthew

Edited by Boots
Guest mikek

I'm new to this board and this community and I am very glad to have stumbled upon it. Yankee Hotel is one my absolute favorites and I had no idea these demos existed until now. Can anyone, possibly, please, please, post another YSI link? I would just get the torrent if it was up, but alas, it's down for now. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to do so!!!

Chris Brickley may be his name. Anyway the full version of Venus Stopped The Train is on the other set of YHF demos, which can be downloaded in MP3 form in the music section of the grotto website. (http://www.the-grotto.com/talk/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=4673&message=16194).

--Mike

Oh, they're (the grotto) gonna be pissed. :yay