More on the "controversy"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Wilco Ben and Jerry's flavor?

Jesus No!!!!! That would mean they sold out to those evil nefarious hippie dope smokin' ice cream purveyors

Have you lost your mind man?

:shifty

A Wilco Ben and Jerry's flavor?

I think this needs its own thread.

Black Cherry Ghost

Red-Eyed and Blueberry

Pistachio Germany

A Shot in the Almond (Amaretto flavored!)

Candy Floss

i'm gone from posting for 3 weeks and come back to THIS??? wtf???

is this board going to hell over a non-album song used in a freakin' commercial?

seriously?

wow

at least it's used in a vw ad and not for kia or hyundai. with all the industry slights to the band over the years and being ignored by commercial radio on a regular basis, i don't fault them at all for using a song (not on the album) in a commercial. seriously, if they were all over the radio and tv already i might question the need. but that is not the case now..is it? NO...NO it's NOT. i hear they may throw in a couple other songs as well. i'm fine with it. i don't watch that much tv anyway and it doesn't change my perception of the band at all.

get over your "issues" people. jeff has more integrity in the biz imo than most other artists. why call him out on this? are you really true fans? i'm just asking. because i am and i always will be. jeff is a talented, hard working artist who deserves to be rewarded for his efforts. and while he is a very giving person, he has a family to take care of. please quit with the petty b.s.

maybe i'll just take the summer off again...geez...

Each time I try to get out...they pull me back in.

This post got to me, and not in a necessarily bad way.

I'll start with where I disagree. When has getting paid for a television commercial become the great reward for a musician? And has Tweedy's career really been without reward before the VW ads? I don't think so. He sells albums, sells out most of the many shows he gets to play, and, perhaps most importantly, has a loyal fan base most could only dream of. I disagree with the fan base on this one issue, but I genuinely respect the loyalty that has been shown to Tweedy throughout this sometimes ugly debate. The only reason I'm hesitant to give Tweedy a pass here is because the whole thing seems to fly in the face of many of his own public statements (Lessig discussion) and public acts. I mean, this is a guy who actively participated in a 90 minute film which ended up largely being an ode to artistic intergrity, non-compromise, and "sticking it to the man" - the big, dumb corporation payed for the album twice - HA! But I digress.

You are absolutely right though, at least in my case, by saying those who have a problem with the ad have "issues." I do have issues. I've just finished school and am at the point where I realize the next thirty odd years of my life will be spent concerned with and about money. I usually turn to my favorite bands, film directors or writers to escape these thoughts, not to be reminded of them. Unfortunately, when I listen to Sky Blue Sky now all I hear is Car Buy Car/make money, money, make money, money, money, money.

I know this is my issue and I'll get over it. I like Tweedy and Wilco too much not to. However, for now, it does bother me.

Thanks for tolerating my posts about this. I do hope I'm done.

I am Trying To Break Your Heart didn't set out to be about anything but the making of a Wilco album. All of that other crap just kind of happened. They never set out to "stick it to the man". I don't see how selling a song to VW goes against artistic integrity or compromises the music? They don't change the music in any way, and I think thats the most important part of it. They are just having the music play in the background. It's not like one of those awful Applebee's commercials.

And if this really ruins Sky Blue Sky for you, then that probably means you never liked it in the first place. If all you hear is "Money" while listening to "On And On And On", then that's nobody's fault but your own.

I'll start with where I disagree. When has getting paid for a television commercial become the great reward for a musician? And has Tweedy's career really been without reward before the VW ads? I don't think so. He sells albums, sells out most of the many shows he gets to play, and, perhaps most importantly, has a loyal fan base most could only dream of. I disagree with the fan base on this one issue, but I genuinely respect the loyalty that has been shown to Tweedy throughout this sometimes ugly debate. The only reason I'm hesitant to give Tweedy a pass here is because the whole thing seems to fly in the face of many of his own public statements (Lessig discussion) and public acts. I mean, this is a guy who actively participated in a 90 minute film which ended up largely being an ode to artistic intergrity, non-compromise, and "sticking it to the man" - the big, dumb corporation payed for the album twice - HA! But I digress.

You are absolutely right though, at least in my case, by saying those who have a problem with the ad have "issues." I do have issues. I've just finished school and am at the point where I realize the next thirty odd years of my life will be spent concerned with and about money. I usually turn to my favorite bands, film directors or writers to escape these thoughts, not to be reminded of them. Unfortunately, when I listen to Sky Blue Sky now all I hear is Car Buy Car/make money, money, make money, money, money, money.

I know this is my issue and I'll get over it. I like Tweedy and Wilco too much not to. However, for now, it does bother me.

Well...this is what happens when you get older ( not trying to be lecturing you or anything). The reality is you need a roof over your head, food, transportation, etc... Do I miss being a broke ass student with no other worries than where my next bong hit was coming from? Hell yeah, but the days of packing it up and heading west living off the land and such is gone (too bad). It does suck going to work every day and paying bills and all that crap. As for hearing money money money money when you listen to SBS.....well I can't change your opinion ( or want to) but try this out. This morning when I was coming into work I was in a seriously foul mood ( mostly because of the same crap I was going on about having a roof, etc, etc) and the station here in Nashville actually played "What Light" and the line about "being strung out like a kite, or stung awake in the night" really hit me hard, because lately (ok for the past 3 years, but that's a whole 'nother thread) I have been (strung out) and mostly don't sleep anymore. It just made me feel kind good and sad t the same time. To me it's that Jeff and the Band get it. They have been through the same shit everyone has and have found a way to cope with it, and to sing about it. I love their songs and music for that reason. Thats what I hear when I listen to them. You can argue about "selling out" or who has more artistic integrity, or whatever. To me it doesn't matter. I hear the Boys and it makes me feel good. Period. That's what it's about to me.

Good luck on making it out in the world, it is tough, it's mostly bullshit, and it takes a lot out of you, but if you get lucky you find things that matter to you and make you feel good even when you think your at the end of your rope. Just trying to lay on a different perspective for you...take it with how ever many grains of salt you wish ;)

Well...this is what happens when you get older ( not trying to be lecturing you or anything). The reality is you need a roof over your head, food, transportation, etc... Do I miss being a broke ass student with no other worries than where my next bong hit was coming from? Hell yeah, but the days of packing it up and heading west living off the land and such is gone (too bad). It does suck going to work every day and paying bills and all that crap. As for hearing money money money money when you listen to SBS.....well I can't change your opinion ( or want to) but try this out. This morning when I was coming into work I was in a seriously foul mood ( mostly because of the same crap I was going on about having a roof, etc, etc) and the station here in Nashville actually played "What Light" and the line about "being strung out like a kite, or stung awake in the night" really hit me hard, because lately (ok for the past 3 years, but that's a whole 'nother thread) I have been (strung out) and mostly don't sleep anymore. It just made me feel kind good and sad t the same time. To me it's that Jeff and the Band get it. They have been through the same shit everyone has and have found a way to cope with it, and to sing about it. I love their songs and music for that reason. Thats what I hear when I listen to them. You can argue about "selling out" or who has more artistic integrity, or whatever. To me it doesn't matter. I hear the Boys and it makes me feel good. Period. That's what it's about to me.

Good luck on making it out in the world, it is tough, it's mostly bullshit, and it takes a lot out of you, but if you get lucky you find things that matter to you and make you feel good even when you think your at the end of your rope. Just trying to lay on a different perspective for you...take it with how ever many grains of salt you wish ;)

Great post. :thumbup

I mean, this is a guy who actively participated in a 90 minute film which ended up largely being an ode to artistic intergrity, non-compromise, and "sticking it to the man" - the big, dumb corporation payed for the album twice - HA! But I digress.

So you see an incongruity between Jeff and Wilco making a stand to use and present their music the way they want to, and using and presenting their music by licensing it for use in a couple car commercials - obviously in a manner they want to present their music, or else they wouldn't have done it.

I am Trying To Break Your Heart didn't set out to be about anything but the making of a Wilco album. All of that other crap just kind of happened. They never set out to "stick it to the man". I don't see how selling a song to VW goes against artistic integrity or compromises the music? They don't change the music in any way, and I think thats the most important part of it. They are just having the music play in the background. It's not like one of those awful Applebee's commercials.

And if this really ruins Sky Blue Sky for you, then that probably means you never liked it in the first place. If all you hear is "Money" while listening to "On And On And On", then that's nobody's fault but your own.

I've admitted as much. I stated this is my issue. Yes, I'm being selfish. Sorry. Who hasn't ever been?

These things are subjective. The ads don't compromise the album for you. That's fine. It does for me. I'm comfortable having different opinions about this. Perhaps, to be accurate, I should say the ads compromise my experience with the album. Again, this is my issue, but I thought I was clear I recognized that.

I did like Sky Blue Sky too, save for Shake it Off.

Hell, I got tickets to see them later this month. I'm definitely going, and I'm sure I'll be won over in an instant.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. it wasn't my intention. I'm just working out some thoughts.

By the way, I also didn't want to seem to suggest Tweedy didn't deserve reward. The guy is super-talented. He deserves everything he gets. I just think there are rewards greater than the financial windfall of a car ad.

I've admitted as much. I stated this is my issue. Yes, I'm being selfish. Sorry. Who hasn't ever been?

These things are subjective. The ads don't compromise the ads for you. That's fine. It does for me. I'm comfortable having different opinions about this. Perhaps, to be accurate, I should say the ads compromise my experience with the album. Again, this is my issue, but I thought I was clear I recognized that.

I did like Sky Blue Sky too, save for Shake it Off.

Hell, I got tickets to see them later this month. I'm definitely going, and I'm sure I'll be won over in an instant.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. it wasn't my intention. I'm just working out some thoughts.

By the way, I also didn't want to sem to suggest Tweedy didn't deserve reward. The guy is super-talented. He deserves everything he gets. I just think there are rewards greater than the financial windfall of a car ad.

Nothing wrong with posting your opinion, and especially not in the way you did it. I can definetly see where that whole thing is coming from, but I disagree with it. I mean, face it, without money in our society you can't live. like someone else said, it would be great if artists could live a monastic life and sustain on the charity of their fans, but that's not realistic. Any artist who does not want to make any money off of their work is naive.

Basically, I'm cool with this move because it helps ensure that the guys can focus on their music instead of having to worry about eventually having to go back and get a real job. They may not need the money now (who knows), but it does help give them some security. It's the musical equivalent of a retirement fund.

I understand that it might change the experience for you, but at least you aren't demanding that the band live up to your ideals. I can respect where you are coming from. Because in the end, the individual experience is all that matters in music. I can argue that this doesn't change anything, or you can argue that it changes everything, and each of us is only half right, because it only applies to each one of us. In the end, it's about what the music means to you, when you strip away all of the bullshit pitchfork articles or commercials. Those things can only shape the music for you, if you let them.

What follows is a college commencement address given by my most favorite writer of all time

Any artist who does not want to make any money off of their work is naive.

Bobbo, this would be you expressing your opinion as fact. ;)

Any artist who expects to make a living off his art, and yet refuses to sell it is certainly naive. There's nothing inherently naive about making art for the sake of making art, without any expectation of receiving anything in return. If you do, though, you're just not entitled to whine about being poor. :lol

Bobbo, this would be you expressing your opinion as fact. ;)

Any artist who expects to make a living off his art, and yet refuses to sell it is certainly naive. There's nothing inherently naive about making art for the sake of making art, without any expectation of receiving anything in return. If you do, though, you're just not entitled to whine about being poor. :lol

Indeed it would be. I apologize.

That post was too long so i skimmed through it. I may have got the relevant parts but who knows.

I'm ... infuriating... and... Dr. Laura. None of this stuff is really about [Wilco].
I didn't read any of that.

I did.

And it's all about being selfless and humble and open.

And it's all true.

Unfortunately, noone in this thread, including the "sponsor" of the quote, gives a fuck about being selfless and humble and open.

Enough!

Or, he accidentally put in "Dark Side of the Moon."

Unfortunately, noone in this thread, including the "sponsor" of the quote, gives a fuck about being selfless and humble and open.

I give a fuck about it ... mostly about my inability to be selfless and humble and open. You could say that that stuff is what I worship, and I feel really inadequate in my levels of selflessness, humility, and openness.

Also: I have no real clue what that long-ass Wallace quote has to do with anything in this thread.

Or, he accidentally put in "Dark Side of the Moon."

:rotfl