Radiohead- In Rainbows

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've heard quite a few grumbles about the file quality. ANyone upset that it's only 160kps?

Personally, I don't care. But I know some people who are avoiding it altogether until they get a better copy out...

when i first heard the album, on crappy Apple earphones, i couldn't really hear the bass all too well which was awful.

i should've just turned it off right then and there.

but 15 Step sounded so great nevertheless. the bass near the end reminded me of Where I End and You Begin,

and then Bodysnatchers came on and put a smile on my face.

Nude is absolutely gorgeous,

the "on again, off again" bit of Faust Arp reminded me "flan in the face" in The Wolf at the Door,

All I Need is beautifully haunting, etc etc.

but after i listened to the album through the first time, after Arpeggi or so,

i was getting restless at the lack, in my first listen view, of instant 'catchiness', especially in the softer songs.

i'm listening to it now with better earphones

and it is immediately having a much better effect on the way i'm perceiving the album.

i need to listen to it some more.

overall, it's not a bad album, far from it, but not amazingly great either.

that opinion might totally change

i heard Jigsaw Falling Into Place completely different coming home. what a great song that one is..

--------

wow... yeah opinion most definitely changed.

House Of Cards alone is so gorgeously simple.

so melodic. good shit.

overall, it's not a bad album, far from it, but not amazingly great either.

I don't think you should ever come to any conclusions like that on a first or second listen of an album, never the less a Radiohead album.

I don't think you should ever come to any conclusions like that on a first or second listen of an album, never the less a Radiohead album.

oh i agree.

i was too quick to judge in my own head,

based on the crappy sound coming out of my earphones, plus subway noise. huge mistake.

but it's a much better listen now. i'm hearing it clearly for what it is.

all in all, this record is better than Hail to the Thief. I'd give it a 7 upon first listen.

as a not very enthusiastic kindof fan of radiohead, HTTT is probably my favorite album of theirs. I've listened to In Rainbows only once, and it seems ok, but what hit me as the best songs of this album didn't impress me as much as "There There" or "Knives Out" did on first listen.

what i don't get and won't get is the seemingly wide (online at least) dislike of HTTT.. like it's the worst album ever or something.

i can kind of understand how people don't like it as it stands in their whole record output but songs like Scatterbrain and I Will and Where I End.. make it totally beautiful for me, including the rock heavy stuff as well, and i remember how great it sounded on first listen. it's not my favorite but i don't hate it.

In Rainbows definitely requires multiple listens for complete appreciation.

it hit me with the warmest feeling inside how great this album is.

i love every song on HTTT.

as an album - meaning, if you listen straight through - it feels bloated, suffers from bad track order and bad mastering.

i think Thom has said rather recent he thought the idea of recording most of it live prob did not suit the material well.

the odd thing is, it doesn't sound like a band playing together in a room at all.

Well, that rocks.

Now my GFs copy will have a cover art this afternoon.

Things to say:

Been listening to this all day long, here's what I got. Yorke's in fine form on this record. Really beautiful vox throughout. Arpeggi/W.F is terrific. It's different from what they were doing live recently but I still really dig it and think this is the best version I've heard yet. House of Cards: I keep going back to it over and over again. Best/fav. track off I.R. Jigsaw is right behind it.

Nude(Big Ideas) and Reckoner: Reckoner, like Nude, has been around awhile and I think it's benefited most from the studio treatment. It interests me unlike the "new" Nude.

Videotape: I like it damnit. It sounds like a closer on a Radiohead album.

One more thing. This record reaffirms my belief that Colin Greenwood is one of the best bassists in rock today.