Radiohead- In Rainbows

Possibly related, but probably not... someone keeps posting these videos on YouTube tagged with references to "In Rainbows" and featuring some angry American guy with an eyepatch conversing with a rainbow. The most recent video seems to have one of the new Radiohead songs in the background as well, while the man and the rainbow discuss 2008 US presidential candidate Ron Paul:

If Radiohead has nothing at all to do with this, then it's still pretty amusing, and if they do, then this is one of the more bizarre examples of viral marketing I've ever seen.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like radiohead, I own all their albums and a lot of their eps two and two of their dvds. I just think charging 80 bucks for a single album is ridiculous and especially ridiculous that they get away with it because they're radiohead. They make good music but other than that they're complete jerk offs.

plus I think its funny that my opinion about all this causes so much fuss.

it's not really their fault that the north american currencies are both so relatively low. in the UK 40 pounds has roughly the same purchasing power as $40, when it comes to a lot of things.

I mean why should you care what I think about it?

isn't people taking some sort of interest in what you say and then replying to it the point of a message board?

is it really possible to pay whatever you actually want for this album? i'm a little confused. could i pay 1p for it, say? has anyone tried?

yes you can, but there is a 45p credit card fee.

who said the vinyl and book and second cd will be widely available by the end of the year/beginning of next year?

sure, it's possible but too many people would be pissed off in spending 82 bucks on something that won't be so exclusive come the end of the year,

which is around the time that they will get their order anyway.

it could very well be a limited package, in which case having only the first cd and the second cd digitally just doesn't compare.

considering that you're getting two cds and a booklet with a slipcase and (two?) vinyl(s), its definitely not a HUGE amount of money.

it's comparable with an art monograph or something.

especially if it turns out to indeed be a collectors batch, it is well worth it.

Didn't a group called Wilco do this a few years ago?

Why is this such a strange thing? As I recall Wilco gave it away for nothing....

Also sold vinyl copies with a free CD chaser.

LouieB

It is not a completely new idea, and certainly Wilco is fantastic on this issue, however...

1. If I recall correctly, Wilco only streamed the album (And has for the last 3 albums, as well as the live DVD sunken treasure). Radiohead, on the other hand, is allowing users to download (presumably) full quality tracks, at any price they choose (starting at $1.00 to cover Credit Card charges).

2. Wilco's tracks had already been leaked to the internet in low quality mp3's and they had been dropped from a label; No one has heard Radiohead's tracks and they DECIDED to not go with any label. Wilco's decision was reactionary; Radiohead's is proactive.

3. Radiohead has a far huger audience than Wilco. Wilco, I believe, survives mostly on touring. Radiohead could probably making a living just selling albums without touring.*

So while this is an EVOlutionary step and not a REVOlutionary one, I do think its kind of a big deal

*Radiohead is looking into not touring as they don't like their tours' impact on the environment.

Evolutionary I suppose. Wilco gave away music when they were economically more at risk (YHF) and in the meantime WIlco has given away tons of free music, EPs, odds and ends, etc. I don't think Wilco gave it away as a reaction to it being released, but maybe someone who knows more can chime in....

Giving away music in any form is hardly either revolutionary or evolutionary and Radiohead can afford to do this in any event.

LouieB

yes you can, but there is a 45p credit card fee.

45 pounds? So I'm paying at least $24 (45p fee + minimum $1) for the album if I use my cc? Is this accurate?

*Radiohead is looking into not touring as they don't like their tours' impact on the environment.

I really think this was an off cuff remark.

It is tottally possible to lower the negative enviormental impact of touring. Its just a matter of how bad the band wants to do it. Look at what Andrew Bird did on his last tour.

I don't about Europe but in the US you can buy reknewable engergy credits.

You can run the vechiles on bio diseal or some other enivormentally friendly fuel

These two things alone would make a huge difference. Plus, I loved the visuals used on their last tour but its not really nessicary all you need is a band and their gear, no fancy lighting rigs or speical effects. Both of these things would cut down on the number of touring vehicles.

Now if they said they were going to stop touring in order to record more, well.........

.....it worked for The Beatles

Also, this'll annoy some people, it's going to be at 160kbps..., one zip file of ~48 mb...

THANK YOU FOR ORDERING IN RAINBOWS. THIS IS AN UPDATE.

YOUR UNIQUE ACTIVATION CODE(S) WILL BE SENT OUT TOMORROW MORNING (UK TIME). THIS WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD AREA.

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD:

THE ALBUM WILL COME AS A 48.4MB ZIP FILE CONTAINING 10 X 160KBPS DRM FREE MP3s.

MOST COMPUTERS NOW HAVE ZIP SOFTWARE AS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM; IF YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT, YOU NEED TO GET WINZIP OR ZIPIT INSTALLED PRIOR.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THEM HERE:

PC: http://www.winzip.com/

MAC: http://www.maczipit.com/

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING YOUR FILE, PLEASE CONTACT OUR DOWNLOAD CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM AT...