• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We went to the theater to see this last night, my wife for the second time and I for the first time.

I tried to keep expectations reasonable, in the midst of all the hype.

I liked it, but I think it's one that I will have to see again to truly digest. Daniel Day-Lewis is great, and visually it's very appealing as well.

So at the theater we buy 2 drinks, some popcorn, and small bag of Gummi Bears....the total is almost $19! Ridiculous.

therewillbeblood.JPG

Ditto.

This afternoon:

cover.w200.jpg

How did you find this? It's the only Alex Cox film I don't have, and for some reason I've never got round to picking it up. Although indulgant, and not exactly textbook, I find Cox's films and stories fascinating.

2b0953a09da04ba5649a6110._AA240_.L.jpg

Highway Patrolman is a great film

Speaking of PTA, this was on IFC last night:

boogie_nights_ver1.jpg

Very good film (with a shout out to John Doe's small role), but it has one of the greatest scenes in any movie, specifically the drug deal gone bad. The actors in that room (Alfred Molina, Thomas Jane, John C., et al), the cheesy (or not, you decide) 80's rock, and those god damn firecrackers had a visceral effect on me at the theater way back when, and the scene still plays powerfully even on the small screen.

Tonight:

B0001HAI0E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

How did you find this?

Netflix; the DVD was just recently released. I'm not confident that Walker is a good film, but I was captivated by its bold strokes--what are helicopters and Newsweek covers doing in a film about an American zealot trying to rule Nicaragua in the mid-19th-century?--and by the continued relevance of its allegory. Plus, as El F noted, it has an awesome musical score.

Genndy Tartakovsky was a huge factor in the success of Cartoon Network, and now, for whatever reason, his stuff is never on.

Just imdb'd him, and he's really got nothing in the works other than an adaptation of The Dark Crystal. There have been so many rumors of an SJ movie that they are all pretty much meaningless now.

Genndy Tartakovsky was a huge factor in the success of Cartoon Network, and now, for whatever reason, his stuff is never on.

Just imdb'd him, and he's really got nothing in the works other than an adaptation of The Dark Crystal. There have been so many rumors of an SJ movie that they are all pretty much meaningless now.

yup. a shame too...i stopped checking around the web for any details on an actual flick a long time ago.

40101676.jpg

I'm halfway through Sorcerer, William Friedkin's 1977 remake of Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 classic The Wages of Fear. The original is one of my favorite suspense movies, so perhaps I'm biased, but so far the remake pretty much blows.

Plus, the DVD release is pan-and-scan, which doesn't help.

a_night_at_the_roxbury_special_edition_dvd__large_.jpg

For some reason, Magic K wanted to rent it this weekend.

Downtown and I sat in front of the TV MESMERIZED.

By the way...anybody else find Molly Shannon to be hawt?

finally going to get to watch darjeeling ltd. this weekend on dvd...never got out to the theatre to catch it. also got across the universe for the wife, but I may watch it as well (unless someone can forewarn me it's as goofy as it looks).