SNL! SNL! SNL!!!

I disagree on "What Light," but probably because I've never cared much for that song. I don't think that's a good first impression song for Wilco. It's slower, very repetitive, and doesn't really show the songwriting talent, musical skill, or passion of the band.

If I were trying to introduce Wilco to a friend, that's one of the last songs I'd ever consider using to try and hook them.

I agree....but I also don't think the band cares that much about winning new fans with these 'opportunities'. They do it for the music, and for us.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do it for the music and for us, they'd be in Charleston instead of NYC.

I just meant I don't think the guys in the band are sitting around scheming up new ways to flog SBS to new audiences...it's a management thing. The last tv performance I saw them give was pretty boring by most any non-rabid-wilco-fan measure. (Either Way on the Tonight Show, I think it was)

I tried SO hard not to add my 2 cents to this, but can keep it in no longer. Sorry to add to the fray.

I'd bet they're just excited to play SNL. Most everyone in the band grew up in an age when the show was cool and meant something. I doubt it's all that much about exposure or management or promotion or whatnot, but more a "Wow, SNL." Plus, Jeff has a good friend in the cast. They're an American band. SNL, even if it's not what it used to be, is a piece of Americana. It means something to them. When your work is emotional, emotions are going to play a part in the decisions you make.

That said, it certainly meant something to everyone who had planned to go to Charleston Friday night, especially those traveling to the show. The short notice was rude and the rescheduled date is 7 freaking months away and on a different night of the week. You have every right to be ticked off and vent here. If you can't vent on a message board, where can you vent?

That said, yeah, it's about broadening the audience, and no, What Light ain't the thing to play. At all.

there's honestly not much off SBS that i'd consider something that would "broaden the audience", which is why The Thanks I Get would be a nice touch.

huh?

i don't mean the 'cowbell' skit. i didn't think about the ferrell/walken combination that could be interpretted.

i meant that one time Ferrell played shaker with Weezer on Island in the Sun (i believe yes?).

so i meant Walken could play something on Walken and then while he was there he could do that skit he's reprised several times.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00t.phtml

ah... you're right, how did i never see that?? maybe because it was maracas and not cowbell ;)

Ferrell re-enacted his More Cowbell skit with Queens of the Stone Age on SNL as well:

http://stereogum.com/archives/qotsa-now-wi...ell_001489.html

has Wilco not been on SNL in the past?

i seem to remember Wynona Ryder wearing a Wilco t-shirt once when introducing a band.

I'm pretty sure that was on Conan O'Brien, she was a guest and she introduced them (saying something along the lines of them being the most important band in the ?world?).

i agree... i wasn't talking about songs that showcase the band, i was talking about songs that would appeal to the average music listener is all.

i agree if it was to pick just the 2 "most impressive" songs off Sky Blue Sky, i'd say Impossible Germany and Side With The Seeds.

I, for one, REALLY like Side with Seeds. There is a soul/r&b groove to this that I truly find infectious.

Thanks I get and Side with the Seeds would be great. It would showcase a wide range of talents and styles. But for some reason I feel like they're going to play On & On & On.

has Wilco not been on SNL in the past?

i seem to remember Wynona Ryder wearing a Wilco t-shirt once when introducing a band.

No, when Winona hosted the show back in 2002 the musical guest was Moby. However, she was wearing a Wilco shirt when she introduced him (later in the show she had on a Tom Waits shirt. She has awesome taste in music!! :yes ).But yeah, she did introduce Wilco two times though, once on Conan and the other on Leno!

No, when Winona hosted the show back in 2002 the musical guest was Moby. However, she was wearing a Wilco shirt when she introduced him (later in the show she had on a Tom Waits shirt. She has awesome taste in music!! :yes ).But yeah, she did introduce Wilco two times though, once on Conan and the other on Leno!

Yet another example of the porousness of certain borders: - there were also rumblings and rumors that the married Jeff Tweedy had a little fling or thing with Ms. Winona Ryder.

Wow, is this band so obscure that NBC can't even spell their name correctly on the sked?

http://www.nbc.com/Schedule/

Talk about incompetence, and lack of respect.

Well, thank goodness they are on the show!

Yet another example of the porousness of certain borders: - there were also rumblings and rumors that the married Jeff Tweedy had a little fling or thing with Ms. Winona Ryder.

Dude...that is uncalled for and you should be ashamed of yourself.

This is a PUBLIC FORUM. It does not exist just on your computer. By stating this 'rumbling and rumor' you have, in fact, made it a part of the record for the world to see. It doesn't matter that you state it was just a rumor...the internet has a life of its own and no shelf life.

I expected better from you.