How long did you wait in line to vote?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted last Monday in Dekalb County, GA. It took two hours.

On my drive in to work this morning at 8:20 I passed a voting precinct a block or two away from the various MLK historic sites. There was a line of approximatelty 100 people outside. No telling how long the indoor portion of the line was.

Local news is reporting that lines are moving faster today than they did in the early voting period.

polls opened up at 6am. i wanted to go as soon as they opened because i was told there were going to be long lines all over the county. got there at 5:30, waited in my car until almost 6. one person in front of me. by the time the door opened there were about 20 people in back of me. in and out. i'm in south jersey gloucester county.

I'm in San Francisco. Lots of interest in the election here, not just the presidential race, but Prop 8 (banning gay marriage) is also on the ballot, so there will be lines today, I'm sure.

I arrived at the polling place about 6:50am, 4 people ahead of me in line. Polls opened on the dot of 7, with 6 booths, so it shouldn't have taken me any time at all, but between the checking-in process and the huge number of votes to be cast, I was in there until about 7:20.

In addition to president, U.S. representative, state assembly rep, superior court judge, school board, community college board, BART (public transit) director, and city/state supervisor, we were also voting on 12 state propositions and 22 local issues. I had my sample ballot all filled out so it was just a matter of transferring those votes over to the real ballot (optical scan), but I know that some people go in there and just wing it. I can't imagine how long it would take even just to read through every question on the ballot, let alone think everything over for even a few seconds and try to make up your mind right there.

There were about 20 people in line by the time I left. I think we're very much a "vote before work" neighborhood, though.

The wife and I carpooled today. We left home at the usual time, voted, and I got to work maybe 15 minutes late. I'm usually 5 minutes early, so 20 minutes including travel time. No real lines, although it looked like I would have waited a while if my last name started with S thru Z...that looked like a 40 person line.

Hyde Park, N.Y. Thirty seconds, if that. The hardest part was signing my name the way I used to sign it so I did not look like I was a faker. Then I had a small brownie.

Washington, DC, the Glover Park neighborhood. I got to my polling place at 7:50am and it took 45 minutes. The line was 2 1/2 blocks long. I'll take pictures of my polling place when I get home tonight, I know the line will be just as long then.

The line for free starbucks coffee afterwards was 10 minutes long. :)

The line for free starbucks coffee afterwards was 10 minutes long. :)

I'm making the rounds after work:

Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Chick-fil-A giving out chicken sandwich, one place giving a free beer, one place giving free chicken tenders, another place giving out free pizza, Ben & Jerry's.

No wait at all in my Belleville, IL, polling place. However, I went at an off time. My husband was there at 6 AM and he said it was hopping.

There are five polling places within a mile of my house, which also might play a part. I think it also helps that our neighborhood is so small that the election judges know everyone. This is my first time voting since we moved here last year. I've never had such a fast check-in in the past.

I waited in the longest voting line I've ever seen. People were waiting 2 hours, but after 30 minutes I went to the head of the line because my name started with A - D. :dontgetit

Some of the polling place church ladies were having a bake sale and I bought a baby rhubarb pie.

I called cutsies and moved right to the front of the line, where, like a good undecided voter, I stood absolutely still, debating the merits of both candidates for a full one hour and forty five minutes, in the end, I wandered out of line, distracted as I was by something shiny.

I called cutsies and moved right to the front of the line, where, like a good undecided voter, I stood absolutely still, debating the merits of both candidates for a full one hour and forty five minutes, in the end, I wandered out of line, distracted as I was by something shiny.

Ya gonna tell us who you voted for or what???????????

i waited for about 4 seconds . i felt it was an acceptable wait time

Good ole Cedar Rapids proves speedy again

I was talking to someone I work with a little while ago and she was asking me if I had the option to do a paper ballot - I don't think I have seen one of those since the 2nd Clinton term. She said where she lives, they only had five of those plastic deals for paper ballots, which slowed everything down.

we only had paper ballots , i might add. it took more time to have the conversation of mistaken identity ( registrar person thought i was my dad, as we look alike) than it did to actually vote