The Vikings aren't charmed?

They've got quality wins over Green Bay twice and Cincy. That's nice.

They've beat Cleveland, Detroit (twice), SF (at home on a complete fluke), Baltimore (on a missed field goal), Seattle, Chicago and St. Louis.

They've played nobody, pretty much. I mean, the wins over GB are nice, but that team is going to be cursed everytime they play Favre. The Cincy win is nice, and the Baltimore and SF wins are over decent/good-ish teams that had every chance to beat them.

They then lost to three flawed teams. Yeah all were on the road, but that team seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me.

I'm rooting hard for them to lose their first game. I hope Favre cements a legacy as a guy who doesn't know his own limitations (even if the media will never accept this image.) and causes them to lose with a 3 pick game.

I agree with a lot of this. Favre doesn't know his limitations. BUT, the Carolina loss had next to nothing to do with Favre. It had a lot to do with Julius Peppers and an underperforming Vikings offensive line and defense.

Edit: You should know, I thought in August and I think now that in the long run, bringing Favre aboard was a mistake. He may wear down and unless we win the Super Bowl, it just isn't worth the turmoil. You just can blame Sunday's loss on him.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've beat Cleveland, Detroit (twice), SF (at home on a complete fluke), Baltimore (on a missed field goal), Seattle, Chicago and St. Louis.

They've played nobody, pretty much. I mean, the wins over GB are nice, but that team is going to be cursed everytime they play Favre. The Cincy win is nice, and the Baltimore and SF wins are over decent/good-ish teams that had every chance to beat them.

They then lost to three flawed teams. Yeah all were on the road, but that team seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me.

I'm rooting hard for them to lose their first game. I hope Favre cements a legacy as a guy who doesn't know his own limitations (even if the media will never accept this image.) and causes them to lose with a 3 pick game.

Oddly, I took a few minutes this morning to look at the Vikes schedule and had some thoughts. Come here and see this. Nice!

Vikes quality wins are Baltimore, 2 over GB (but only technically) and Cincy.

GB wins were technically 'quality' but, when we beat them, they were not the same team they are now; they were a mess. I don't take away from those wins what one generally would from a truly quality victory, hence the technicality.

We almost pissed the Baltimore game away, yes, but for more than 3 quarters we F'ing dominated a very good team. Excepting the melt down, we haven't looked better all year. Cincy was a nice win, but they played like $hit.

When we played Pittsburgh they were not more flawed than any other elite team. Polamalu played that game and did very well. Dude's a game changer (witness Steelers record w him: 4-0, w/out: 3-7). We outplayed Pitt handily that day. AZ is enigmatic, but they were good-great AZ when we played them. We didn't do ourselves any favors not showing up to play but no shame in losing to them when they are on, which they most certainly were.

We were at our best this season starting with Baltimore game, for 6 weeks, through 3 game homestand out of the bye. Invincible! We have fallen far and hard. Things do not look good. But the season comes down to whether we were playing over our heads then and have returned to form or this is a blip and that 6-week stretch is what we're capable of. If we are capable, it's down to Chilly to get this team back on track.

All that said, my current conclusion is that we're spiraling and will unwind, losing to Philly at home if we get bye, or whoever in round 1 (edit: OK, thats reactionary. I like our chances v. everyone but Philly and AZ in potential round 1 games). Not Good Times. I hope I'm wrong.

Guest Runaway Jim

Those are all great points

Some random thoughts:

*I know they've looked really lousy down the stretch, but I am still not ready to write off the Patriots. Would anyone be shocked if they beat the 16-0 Colts in the first round of the playoffs?

*I really want to see the Titans finish 9-7 and sneak into the playoffs. Chris Johnson might be my favorite player to watch this season.

*I loved Tomlin's decision to try for the onside kick. To paraphrase Crow from the Star Wars thread the steelers secondary is such an abomination that mere words cannot describe the ultimate clusterfuck that it is. Getting the ball back to the offense with time was the right call, Tomlin has clearly played Madden.

*I hate Favre now, but I like the Vikings' fans and don't want them to suffer anymore. Is there anyway Favre can get hurt and Sage Rosenfels can lead them to a Super Bowl win? (If Berman starts calling him "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme" Rosenfels, however, I refute my entire proposal, I am out on the Vikings.)

*Eagles and Chargers look like they are playing the best football right now, so naturally one of them will get knocked in their first playoff game.

*I am not quite ready to write off the Saints quite yet. Now that they don't have the pressure on them to go 16-0, I think they'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

--Mike

I'd be very surprised if the Pats beat the Colts. Very.

The Pats just don't have it on them anymore. There was a time when no matter how good or bad either team was, you were giving the edge to Brady and Bellichek.

Now? You don't bet against Peyton in a big game. You just don't do it.

All over Sports Center today was the schism between Brett Favre and Brad Childress.

According to a Minnesota beat writer I guess 90% of MN fans are in Brett's corner. Kind of scary. I guess being head coach isn't what it used to be. :shifty

But they did break down everything that Brett said in his postgame interview. They made note how he called his coach directly by his 1st name Brad.

He destroyed the Jets last season around this time of year. If a different team picks him up next year, they should have their heads examined.

Patriots vs. Colts in playoffs: I think the Pats can beat the Colts. They almost did until that extremely sketchy ending. :pirate

I'm a Patriots fan because of my geographic location in Southern NH.

This past week's games were all exciting.

My best friend went to school at Purdue and had 2 classes with Drew Brees.

I think people undermine San Diego's capability of making it to the big dance. And with the sudden loss of Chris Henry I think that the Bengals have something to fight for.

Over in the NFC: I think Philadelphia and Arizona have a better chance now due to Minnesota's rift. I still like New Orleans.

I don't know if they'll be able to keep it up, but it was nice to see the good-ol' ass-whuppin' New York Football Giants last night. Could it be 2007 all over again?:w00t

I don't know if they'll be able to keep it up, but it was nice to see the good-ol' ass-whuppin' New York Football Giants last night. Could it be 2007 all over again?:w00t

Before you get too excited, be sure to note whom (and specifically which offensive line) they mowed down last night.

All over Sports Center today was the schism between Brett Favre and Brad Childress.

According to a Minnesota beat writer I guess 90% of MN fans are in Brett's corner. Kind of scary. I guess being head coach isn't what it used to be. :shifty

But they did break down everything that Brett said in his postgame interview. They made note how he called his coach directly by his 1st name Brad.

He destroyed the Jets last season around this time of year. If a different team picks him up next year, they should have their heads examined.

Patriots vs. Colts in playoffs: I think the Pats can beat the Colts. They almost did until that extremely sketchy ending. :pirate

I'm a Patriots fan because of my geographic location in Southern NH.

This past week's games were all exciting.

My best friend went to school at Purdue and had 2 classes with Drew Brees.

I think people undermine San Diego's capability of making it to the big dance. And with the sudden loss of Chris Henry I think that the Bengals have something to fight for.

Over in the NFC: I think Philadelphia and Arizona have a better chance now due to Minnesota's rift. I still like New Orleans.

Favre's December collapses in 2008 and 2009 are more glaring than Tony Romo's.

Favre's December collapses in 2008 and 2009 are more glaring than Tony Romo's.

The lack of a running game has been a way bigger problem for the Vikings than anything Favre has done.

Four turnovers in four games is a far cry from Favre's "collapses" in the past... Trust me, I'm a Packers fan.

Before you get too excited, be sure to note whom (and specifically which offensive line) they mowed down last night.

If the D can stiffen up JUST A LITTLE BIT, I think the Giants can compete with anybody. Eli is having his best year ever.

The lack of a running game has been a way bigger problem for the Vikings than anything Favre has done.

Four turnovers in four games is a far cry from Favre's "collapses" in the past... Trust me, I'm a Packers fan.

Favre has spit the bit quite a lot in his career, hasn't he?

Never dismiss the Hoodie, but I wouldn't bet against the Colts at this point.

I think now that the Saints have lost a game, they will go on to the Super Bowl and probably win it if somehow the Peytons don't make it. The real barrier to the Colts would be the Chargers, who somehow have the Colts' number quite often.

TMQ put it best in his most recent article. The reason why the Peytons win a lot is because Peyton calls the plays and the wideouts don't run prescribed routes. They all understand the game a whole lot.

That's just plain stupid

Sorry, after Rareair's comment that was the only image in my head. It is a fact that I really didn't know or realize. I'm more of a MLB guy anyways.

I'm assuming Carson Palmer is in the same boat as Romo?

Picture Romo in 10 years or so:

Uncle Romo: I coulda gone to the Super Bowl, sport. If it weren't for that Jessica Simpson. :ohwell

Nephew: Who's Jessica SImpson?

Uncle Romo: Eh dudn't matter anyway...she was just a girl...she was just a girl...

So far, the Panthers and Matt Moore are looking impressive against the Giants. Too darn bad the Panthers are playing for nothing.

Wow.

Now the Cowboys losing a close one to a very good Ravens team last year at the last game at Texas Stadium isn't the most embarrassing send off to a fabled stadium.

Seriously though...I would have never expected that Giants team to quit like that.

I've never before seen a coach purposely demoralize a team. Who blows a chance to shut up the 72 Dolphins? And why do I cheer for teams who are coached by pussies with molestaches. That Colts game was horseshit.

The Patriots are playing awesome and the Colts are laying down. All in time for the playoffs. God Dammit I wish I was from New England.

I've never before seen a coach purposely demoralize a team. Who blows a chance to shut up the 72 Dolphins? And why do I cheer for teams who are coached by pussies with molestaches. That Colts game was horseshit.

The Patriots are playing awesome and the Colts are laying down. All in time for the playoffs.

Jim Caldwell needs to take a page from Herm Edwards playbook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

Resting players often leads to them losing their edge

The Patriots are playing awesome and the Colts are laying down. All in time for the playoffs.

I feel your pain, man, but dig it - it's a catch-22 for the Colts. You know if they keep the starters in for a meaningless game and then Manning gets put out for the playoffs with an injury the coach would get publicly stoned to death.

I'd much rather have a 15-1 team that wins the ring than a a 16-0 team that fucks up in the playoffs.

I feel your pain, man, but dig it - it's a catch-22 for the Colts. You know if they keep the starters in for a meaningless game and then Manning gets put out for the playoffs with an injury the coach would get publicly stoned to death.

I'd much rather have a 15-1 team that wins the ring than a a 16-0 team that fucks up in the playoffs.

From my perspective, it is a coward's approach.

You Play to Win. You can't worry about players getting hurt. There's a Super Bowl Champion every year. There has been one team with a perfect record in the modern era.