How about this - since Sayid never came to the island in the sideways universe, he couldn't have shot young Ben. So young Ben would have been evacuated with all the other women & children, hence he's off the island in 2004. Which just made me think of something else - in the scene last year (I think) where Ben & Ethan take Alex from Danielle - why wasn't Ethan evacuated when he was a little kid? Or maybe he was and somehow came back to the island in later years.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they all end up on the island because they were "supposed to" or because of the influence of Jacob? Or is this one and the same? I'm still struck by Jack's comment "Nothing is irreversible."

I think it's one and the same. I think Eloise "sided" with Jacob and Widmore with the MIB. Then I start to get confused because both Eloise and Widmore were very adamant about getting everyone back to the island. Then I remember that Jacob and MIB both want all the candidates on the island, just for different reasons, though we're not yet entirely clear on those reasons and motivations... :stunned

Front Cover for this week's Entertainment Weekly: Jack & Claire.

Solving The Mysteries Of Lost: Who's good? Who's bad? Who's dead? A Preview Of The Final Episodes.

I'm sure this may be online as of right now. This doesn't hit newsstands until next Friday the 26th.

I'll read this in a bit and let you know if there's anything worth noting. Probably not though, since it's usually teases.

How about this - since Sayid never came to the island in the sideways universe, he couldn't have shot young Ben. So young Ben would have been evacuated with all the other women & children, hence he's off the island in 2004. Which just made me think of something else - in the scene last year (I think) where Ben & Ethan take Alex from Danielle - why wasn't Ethan evacuated when he was a little kid? Or maybe he was and somehow came back to the island in later years.

Hummmm. Monday I would have said that of course Sayid went to the Island and shot Ben in 1977 because it happened before the incident and What Happened, Happened, but now I'm not so sure.

Up until this season, I always assumed that the Dharma people evacuated, the incident happened, then most of them, like Ethan, came back. He was there in 1989 to help Ben steal baby Alex. After "The Incident" and then this season, I'm not so sure.

"This could indicate that the names are crossed out when candidates die, but it is unclear if there are other reasons that a candidate might be crossed out, too (for instance, the name Straume is crossed out but Miles is alive)."

Hmm.

I think Miles' gift has to have something to do with his ineligibility to be a candidate.

Caught eps 3 and 4 last night and I'm enjoying how this finale season is coming together.

A few things I thought about, and few tiny slithers of ham-fisted theory popped into my head. These theories may well be explained in earlier episodes in earlier seasons, I've never rewatched (or rewound scenes from) a single episode, so my ability to follow the various timelines flew out of the window a long time ago only. Anyway happy for this little lot to get shot down in flames...

- Still think it's a philosophical battle between freewill and destiny with MIB and Jacob being the respective players, and all island visitors being pawns in the game.

- I think MIB is the good guy and Jacob the bad guy. The conatations of black and white (evil and good, darkness and purity) are all too obvious. Also, the guy at the temple said something to Jack about Sayid tests/antedote. He said something along the lines of that Sayid was 'infected' and that something was coming to 'cleanse' him (I think they said the nearest translation was 'cleanse') and that everything Sayid was before he came to the island would be gone (again paraphrasing). This alludes that it's: a) a bad thing, and B) MIB who's coming to administer the bad thing. Whilst I agree with the latter I don't think it is a bad thing. Sayid, before he came to the island, was a hard-assed interogator who didn't suffer fools, or enemies, gladly. After having his woman taken from him, he pretty much turned into an emotional ice cold cube. Now, why would wiping away that continuing destiny be a good thing?

- Following the train of thought above, I begun to think of the island as some sort of correctional facility, in that the actions taking place on the island are giving the protagonists the chance for redemption. That's not redemption because something is wrong about their lives, but something is missing from their lives. I think what we're seeing in the alt-reality is people displaying the absolute opposite personality traits of what dragged them to the island in the first place. Jack - as opposed to being a man of logic offering a leap of faith and hope to Locke to help his spine; Locke - ripping up Jack's business card, no longer needing to believe in something else other than himself; Hurley - no longer cursed with the bad luck, conversely happy go lucky and blessed with good fortune. Even Ethan and Ben 'seem' to be righted.

- Oh, and Clare was very trusting to the complete stranger/criminal of Kate in episode three. Nothing significant about that (or was there?) I just thought it was weird, and required a greater amount of disbelief to be suspended.

- Oh, and Clare was very trusting to the complete stranger/criminal of Kate in episode three. Nothing significant about that (or was there?) I just thought it was weird, and required a greater amount of disbelief to be suspended.

It has been said and this is minor spoilery here

That the flash sideways verse have knowledge of the island verse, or will have some degree of knowledge. So that could have been guiding her to trust Kate so much.

Guest Runaway Jim

It has been said and this is minor spoilery here

That the flash sideways verse have knowledge of the island verse, or will have some degree of knowledge. So that could have been guiding her to trust Kate so much.

I think that's right. They clearly seem to have some knowledge of the island timeline in the alternate timeline - the look Kate had when she saw Jack, Jack's reaction to Desmond. I think Claire trusted Kate because of that knowledge.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.

MIB and Jacob ar choosing their teams.

Jack and Hurley --- Team Jacob (probably)

Sawyer and Claire --- Team MIB (most definitely)

Miles: a necromancer like Hurley, has ties to Sawyer...probably gonna be team MIB or dead

Sayid: if Dogan is to be believed...team MIB; but he has ties to and trusts Jack...team Jacob

Jin: has ties to SAwyer but has lied to Claire...he might be a goner

Sun: the wild card. She was a companion of Flocke back to the island, but her destiny will follow Jin's

Frank and Ilana: roll players?

Richard: Jacob's man to the end.

Kate: and what of Kate. Will she die?

MIB can turn into the smoke monster and lay waste to everyone. What advantage does Jacob have?

MIB can turn into the smoke monster and lay waste to everyone. What advantage does Jacob have?

He's got a huge...........lighthouse.

Going to watch this episode again in a few hours.

Some things I noticed:

Jacob has a Lighthouse (light/white)

MIB has a dark cave(dark/black) which means that he is scratching the names off the ceiling and was bs'ing Sawyer. Plus, not to mention Jacob's real estate was living in a statue's foot.

What (name) do you think was on the 108 degrees?

Any thoughts on who's coming? Desmond? Charles Widmore? Domino's Pizza?

He's got a huge...........lighthouse.

Going to watch this episode again in a few hours.

Some things I noticed:

Jacob has a Lighthouse (light/white)

MIB has a dark cave(dark/black) which means that he is scratching the names off the ceiling and was bs'ing Sawyer. Plus, not to mention Jacob's real estate was living in a statue's foot.

What (name) do you think was on the 108 degrees?

Any thoughts on who's coming? Desmond? Charles Widmore? Domino's Pizza?

Remember the statement from the kiddo/proto Jacob to MIB? Remember the rules...you can't kill him. Eko was killed by the MIB/Smoke Monster. Methinks that Mr. Eko may be coming back in some way, shape or form

That episode was all sorts of good. :dancing

I still like Claire, even if she's gone cRaAaZy!

Who is Jack's son's mom?

I really liked Hurley pondering if those skeletons were them... because I've always wondered that myself.

That episode was all sorts of good. :dancing

I still like Claire, even if she's gone cRaAaZy!

Who is Jack's son's mom?

I really liked Hurley pondering if those skeletons were them... because I've always wondered that myself.

Loved the scene with Adam and Eve! I think that was a total throw to the fans that have wondered about it. My guess is that we'll see who it is. My money is still on Jin and Sun. One is a candidate, one isn't. One may follow the dark (Jin, MiB) the other may follow the light (Sun, Jacob). They chose each other instead of MiB or Jacob.

Who's coming to the island? My money is on

Charles Widmore

. Based mostly on a spoiler.

My guess is that Jack's son's Mom is his wife/ex-wife from the original timeline. Regardless of Jacob's interference, they still marry and break up, just in slightly different ways. Like Locke still being in a wheelchair but still being on good terms with his Dad.

Very curious who #108 is too. According to Lostpedia, it was "Wallace." A red herring perhaps? They also state that Austen was listed as #51, but was NOT crossed out! And some of the numbers were different than in the cave. Hum........ Makes me think that MiB was lying and that the cave was his (Like u2roolz suggested) and that he and Jacob were both trying to reach the same conclusions, and that the numbers represent human actors or "variables" in a cosmic equation. From the episode "The Variable":

FARADAY: Whatever happened, happened. All right? But then I finally realized... I had been spending so much time focused on the constants, I forgot about the variables. Do you know what the variables in these equations are, Jack?

JACK: [Chuckles] No.

FARADAY: Us. We're the variables. People. We think. We reason. We make choices. We have free will. We can change our destiny. I think I can negate that energy under the Swan. I think I can destroy it. If I can, then that hatch will never be built, and your plane... your plane will land, just like it's supposed to, in Los Angeles.

KATE: And just how exactly do you plan on destroying this energy?

FARADAY: I'm gonna detonate a hydrogen bomb.

So, who or what is the "constant" here?

And if you're into spoilers, all the episode titles for the season, except for the finale, have been revealed.

Remember the statement from the kiddo/proto Jacob to MIB? Remember the rules...you can't kill him. Eko was killed by the MIB/Smoke Monster. Methinks that Mr. Eko may be coming back in some way, shape or form

If that was the case, wouldn't he have said "you shouldn't have killed him"? And the monster killed lots of people, some of whom were written on the ceiling of the cave.

Where are the episode titles?

Apparently next episode is a Sayid episode... which breaks the pattern of mirroring the first season. This disappoints me as the episode after that would have been a Charlie episode. :(

Where are the episode titles?

Apparently next episode is a Sayid episode... which breaks the pattern of mirroring the first season. This disappoints me as the episode after that would have been a Charlie episode. :(

Right here: source DarkUFO

6 Sundown (Sayid)

7 Dr. Linus (Ben)

8 Recon (Sawyer ?)

9 Ab Aeterno (Richard)

10 The Package (Jin/Sun)

11 Happily Ever After (Desmond)

12 Everybody Loves Hugo (Hurley)

13 The Last Recruit (The Last Recuit ??!!)

14 The Candidate (?)

15 Across The Sea (?)

16/17/18 Finale 3 Parter (Multi Centric)

Also, did some own theory digging of my own today with thanks to Kristin's tidibt about what the Island really is.

She said that The Island is a 4 letter word and has no As or Es.

People suggest Zion, since we saw David in last night's episode and in the Bible it is never said who his mother is and he was a musician.

Could it be David who is coming to the Island (Zion) to become its' king?

Anyone with better biblical knowledge that can tie this up better than just 2 sentences?

Edit: Who has blue eyes like David Shepherd that we've seen as an adult that is alive in the On Island Timeline?

MIB.

What if David Shepherd is the MIB and Aaron (who Jack also raised) is Jacob? Seems like a stretch, but if it makes-you-get-a-seizure-from-thinking-about-it-too-much, it does put into perspective "wants to go home".

Some more explanation(s): Well, if the ALT TIMELINE ceases to exist at some point then that means that David Shepherd never exists or existed but then ceases to exist. So by MIB creating this loophole and possibly the ALT TIMELINE itself it's like he's aware of this. Thus, his home is the ALT Timeline. It also should be of note that in the ALT Timeline Aaron isn't born yet. Hmm.

How he is on the Island with Jacob in Season 5's season finale seems odd in a chronological type of way. Unless, if that scene can be from any time in the show's mythology considering everything that happens before the end is progress?

Edit: I just thought of something that is too crazy to consider. Read it above in the spoiler. :blink

Theory not based on a spoiler, so not in the spoiler tag: u2roolz's suggestion that the MiB's home is the alt reality is really intriguing..........have to think about that one some more.

It certainly feeds into some of the theories that the "flash sideways" shows what the character's lives would have been like if they had never been touched/called by Jacob. Well, what would MiB's life have been like if he's never met Jacob?

My odds on who 108 is, and who is coming to the island

1) Desmond 3:2

2) Widmore 6:1

3) Walt (could it be a short name for Wallace?) 30:1

4) Aaron 20:1

5) David 50:1

Also I have heard some prattle that David's mum is non other then Penny. The logic goes like this, David is a piano prodigy, the other piano prodigy we have seen is Faraday; Penny is Faraday's half (maybe full) sister, it all comes down to genes you know.

Or maybe in Alt universe Faraday is a women and he(she) is David's mum. But that is just too weird.

Guest Runaway Jim

I was very annoyed that Jack had to smash the mirrors. I've grown so tired of him over the seasons.

I don't care if him smashing the mirrors didn't matter to Jacob, I wanted to see who was at 108 degrees.