Wilco Solid Sound Festival

FWIW I have left 2 messages and sent an e-mail and have heard nothing more about Windsor Lake. I will be sending another e-mail to someone with the city who said to contact her if no one got back to me. I have also learned that drinking is not allowed in any Mass state parks. I'm not sure if that rule applies to the city park of Windsor Lake or not.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids are coming but they are 9 and 12. Their first show was Tanglewoods a couple of years ago so my little on was 7. The crowds at Wilco shows are definitely kid friendly and of the three shows we've gone to with them there are always other kids there. Oh and make sure to get some hearing protection for the little ones.

I think the tickets say Wilco is playing at 7:00pm

They are playing two shows though. I wonder what time they are playing Sunday. I hope they are done well before 6 or this could really screw things up for me. I don't see any flights that would get me home in time for work Tuesday AM that leave later than 6PM. Which means I really shouldn't get out of town any later than 3PM or so. I guess we'll find out in due time.

They are playing two shows though. I wonder what time they are playing Sunday. I hope they are done well before 6 or this could really screw things up for me. I don't see any flights that would get me home in time for work Tuesday AM that leave later than 6PM. Which means I really shouldn't get out of town any later than 3PM or so. I guess we'll find out in due time.

In one of the many articles I've read in the past week, I read "Wilco will play in some capacity on Sunday." That was all at the time.

I can't wait for more information to come out. I have a crazy busy couple of months to keep me busy at least. I'm off to San Fran tomorrow to see a couple of Faith No More shows then a weekend at Coachella, then the National in L.A. next month and off to Sasquatch at the end of May.

I love life. :) I can't wait to hang out with some of you and camp. I'm still calling it WilcoFest for the record. :P

I damn near forgot about the Roger Waters The Wall tour, that's going to round out the year perfectly.

I can't wait for more information to come out. I have a crazy busy couple of months to keep me busy at least. I'm off to San Fran tomorrow to see a couple of Faith No More shows then a weekend at Coachella, then the National in L.A. next month and off to Sasquatch at the end of May.

I love life. :) I can't wait to hang out with some of you and camp. I'm still calling it WilcoFest for the record. :P

I damn near forgot about the Roger Waters The Wall tour, that's going to round out the year perfectly.

i am INCREDIBLY jealous of you right now

i wonder if it's a coincidence that Peter plays w/ both the Minus 5 and the Venus 3.

The Venus 3 (Buck, McCaughety. Reiflin) is the Minus 5 (Buck, McCaughey, Reiflin, Ramberg) -- but minus John Ramberg. The V3 is Robyn Hitchcock's backing band. And they rock :rock

Ok I am driving down from Ontario and I have booked a tent camping site at Savoy Mountain. I am worried that it is too far out of town, should I change to Clarksburg??

First time poster here and still wild with excitement.

Savoy Mountain is just a bit further. The only reason I chose Clarksburg is that it looks like more of a straight shot and the road to Savoy looks a bit more "hairpin-y." Maybe someone who knows the area can confirm. I just checked Clarksburg via ReserveAmerica.com and it looks like there are 3 tent sites and 11 RV sites left.

Hey I have two crazy Wilcoheads both under 6 and am seriously considering making this trip part of our summer vacation , especially with all the state parks I see on the maps I'm looking at.

So here is my question : is anyone else considering taking their kids? Does anyone know the start times for the 2 Wilco shows ?

Thanks for your help

we also have two little ones under 6 (2 and 4) and we're looking forward to the entire weekend! We plan on doing some things in the mid-day with some trips back to our hotel for naptimes. I hope they get a kick out of all of the art and sound exhibits as well as the concerts.

I understand the dismay about charging for kids 7+ but it seems that Wilco has been growing in popularity with kids as the original fans have families...maybe Spencer Tweedy and a band will be playing something special for kids? :) Still, a youth price would have been nice for kids 6-12 but how do you enforce that?

Before this came up, we were looking for a weekend vacation with the family somewhere here in New England and then this dropped into our laps. :)

we also have two little ones under 6 (2 and 4) and we're looking forward to the entire weekend! We plan on doing some things in the mid-day with some trips back to our hotel for naptimes. I hope they get a kick out of all of the art and sound exhibits as well as the concerts.

I understand the dismay about charging for kids 7+ but it seems that Wilco has been growing in popularity with kids as the original fans have families...maybe Spencer Tweedy and a band will be playing something special for kids? :) Still, a youth price would have been nice for kids 6-12 but how do you enforce that?

Before this came up, we were looking for a weekend vacation with the family somewhere here in New England and then this dropped into our laps. :)

That settles it we're bringing our kids. I think we will fly into Boston a day or two early and slowly make our way across the state. My kids demand Wilco or Jeff practically every time we get into the car so a fest thrown by them about interactive art and music would be hard to deny. Throw in all the state parks and this will make a great vacation.

Thanks for input!!

I just found out this afternoon that my bestest Wilco friend of 5 years (met over a myspace Wilco group), her brother and sister-in-law are driving in from Indiana for the show!!! We've only hung out once before in Chicago for about 6 hours. Woohoo!!! :party

I note that Crowded House will be touring the US and appears to have a week or so open around the time of the festival...

I currently have a bet with another VC member who shall remain nameless. I betting it will be Neil solo, she's betting Crowdies, don't think anyone will bet on no Finn involvment. I would be happy with either. Going to see Crowdies on west coast for a few shows after the festival. Bring on August!

So it may have been discussed already but I don't really feel like backreading 14 pages, but is there any camping at the Moca? Or anywhere close? I really don';t have the money to dish out on a hotel room, and lets face it camping is just more fun!

I live in North Adams.

This is probably the closest (quite a hike but you could walk it if you were determined): Windsor Lake

This is maybe 10 or 15 minutes by car at the most: Clarksburg State Park

For those of you who have expressed concerns, the Holiday Inn is a perfectly fine place to stay. It's really your standard hotel of the kind we have stayed at many times when traveling to see Wilco.

I couldn't believe the news they were doing this in my hometown. I've been saying for years it would be the perfect place for a Wilco show; I never dreamed we'd get a festival.

...if I can help anyone else with local information, let me know.

The Mass MOCA site specifically says "no alcohol" where it lists the rules for no coolers, no picnics, etc. Do they sell beer & wine there? Is it possible that this is a "dry" event?

Something of local interest in North Adams if you are looking for other things to see there....

I just happened to be channel surfing when I caught a Ghost Adventures episode on the Travel Channel about the haunting of the Houghton Mansion in North Adams, Mass the site of the festival. It seems that the owner of one of the old mills (Arnold Print Works)on the gallery site lost his wife and daughter in a car accident in 1914. The driver, a Mr. Widders killed himself on the grounds and Mr. Houghton died 10 days later in the house. The ghost guys spend the night in the mansion and record the goings on. I'm not into the ghost stuff but it might give someone something to check out when they are up there in August. The beginning of the program showed some of the town. A typical old time New England village. It will be replayed at midnight tonight EST if anyone cares. Here are a few links.....

http://berkshireparanormal.com/mansion.html

http://www.isisinvestigations.com/Casefile_Houghton.html

http://www.massmoca.org/history.php

The Mass MOCA site specifically says "no alcohol" where it lists the rules for no coolers, no picnics, etc. Do they sell beer & wine there? Is it possible that this is a "dry" event?

They have always sold beer and wine at the concerts and outdoor movies I've attended; I don't think the Festival will be any different but I haven't heard anything specifically about it. They would be crazy not to.

There's also a restaurant on campus, Gramercy Bistro (upscale). It's a new location, but they have always had a bar.

I'd be psyched to see a Magic Hat tent.

Hi all! Question for the locals. I am going to buy a ticket and plan to camp. My ideal campsite would be quiet, woodsy, scenic, with maybe some good trout/bass fishing available. I would love to bring my Mtn bike and ride to the venue if possible.

Which of the campgrounds fits this bill the best?

Thanks in advance. I know the topic has been discussed a lot but there is no clear answer. I am leaning towards Savoy. -Erik