Wilco Solid Sound Festival

A little birdie just told me that a detailed schedule will be announced later this week. :cheers It will be posted on the Solid Sound website and probably emailed to people who've signed up, either there or wilcoworld.net. I was told there is something new that will be announced for the first time. No details, but you know what I'm wishing and hoping for!! :yes

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am soooooo happy to see the Jeff solo set announced!

Now, won't it be interesting to see what he chooses to perform at that set vs. the Wilco set(s)? Have they done anything like this before--like been at a festival and had a Wilco show as well as a Jeff Tweedy performance at the same venue? Inquiring minds want to know.

Faxman, I know you were trying to sell your ticket due to some problems. Hope you didn't do it yet, because as cool as that Lollapalooza set might've been, I suspect that a grownup solo set will be even better. And for their very own festival, with everyone there "superfans"? Holy shit, just imagine being able to feed off all that crowd love.

And speaking of superfan (as I was) isn't Kristin Schaal the obsessed stalkerish fan on Flight of the Conchords? She should be able to do something funny on that topic on the comedy stage!

The closest they have came to this is probably Lollapalooza 2008 when they headlined a day and Jeff played solo for the Kidzstage as well.

I might be able to pull this festival off after all.

Let me say the kidzstage show was fantastic and he only played a few songs. I think it was What Light (i swear he played this), Hoodoo, HMD, Hummingbird, New Madrid.

A solo Jeff performance makes me 100% more excited, even though I already am super excited.

And for their very own festival, with everyone there "superfans"? Holy shit, just imagine being able to feed off all that crowd love.

That's sure to be one kick arse crowd singalong for Jesus etc. Maybe we'll even get the words right!

Faxman, I know you were trying to sell your ticket due to some problems. Hope you didn't do it yet, because as cool as that Lollapalooza set might've been, I suspect that a grownup solo set will be even better. And for their very own festival, with everyone there "superfans"? Holy shit, just imagine being able to feed off all that crowd love.

And speaking of superfan (as I was) isn't Kristin Schaal the obsessed stalkerish fan on Flight of the Conchords? She should be able to do something funny on that topic on the comedy stage!

i've been to 7 wilco shows, and yes, i consider myself a "huge wilco superfan" or whatever, but my favorite part about wilco shows is that superfandom takes a backseat to the music. i've seen radiohead twice, but i have to admit, besides the music ruling forever, it's a pretty uncomfortable crowd. everyones trying to prove themselves as a bigger radiohead fan, it seems. same goes for animal collective (seen 4 times). but even reading this forum it seems like wilco superfans are in general more modest than your average superfan and maybe that's partially because there are a lot of you who aren't from like, new york city or whatever, or maybe you guys in general spend less time anonymously commenting on blogs. particularly when i saw wilco in new jersey this past april, the crowd was very boomer-heavy and everyone seemed to just be there to enjoy the music and that's it. it was awesome. my favorite wilco experience ever. maybe that's because i go to a lot of shows in nyc and it can be a kind of oppressive place to see shows, but still. i can only hope that we can keep it this cool for 3 days. it's a long 3 days, hopefully they stack the lineup a bit more, and hopefully they make it a lil more appealing to kids like me, but i'm very excited for this. i just saw the poster and it looks cool and fun and i'm bringing my family

solidsoundposter_small.jpg

Let me say the kidzstage show was fantastic and he only played a few songs. I think it was What Light (i swear he played this), Hoodoo, HMD, Hummingbird, New Madrid.

A solo Jeff performance makes me 100% more excited, even though I already am super excited.

Wow, I just checked out a few videos on youtube of that Kidzapalooza set. I should not have sounded so dismissive--he really connects with the kids, and he played some great songs, all in such a loose, natural way. Hummingbird was just amazing.

i've been to 7 wilco shows, and yes, i consider myself a "huge wilco superfan" or whatever, but my favorite part about wilco shows is that superfandom takes a backseat to the music. i've seen radiohead twice, but i have to admit, besides the music ruling forever, it's a pretty uncomfortable crowd. everyones trying to prove themselves as a bigger radiohead fan, it seems. same goes for animal collective (seen 4 times). but even reading this forum it seems like wilco superfans are in general more modest than your average superfan and maybe that's partially because there are a lot of you who aren't from like, new york city or whatever, or maybe you guys in general spend less time anonymously commenting on blogs. particularly when i saw wilco in new jersey this past april, the crowd was very boomer-heavy and everyone seemed to just be there to enjoy the music and that's it. it was awesome. my favorite wilco experience ever. maybe that's because i go to a lot of shows in nyc and it can be a kind of oppressive place to see shows, but still. i can only hope that we can keep it this cool for 3 days. it's a long 3 days, hopefully they stack the lineup a bit more, and hopefully they make it a lil more appealing to kids like me, but i'm very excited for this. i just saw the poster and it looks cool and fun and i'm bringing my family

solidsoundposter_small.jpg

I agree that the crowd at shows has a big impact on my enjoyment. First, it influences the band, and second, it directly influences ME. I like a happy, unpretentious, enthusiastic audience, and I suspect we'll have that. (Just saw my first Phish show at a small (6,000 capacity) amphitheater and the crowd was blissfully happy and completely into the show--at least a part of that was due to the music, I'm sure. :P )

I, for one, don't even try explaining my love for this band anymore. Everyone I know thinks I've gone around the bend, but I never get tired of listening to them. I actually work part-time at an independent "completist" video store, and whenever I can talk my coworkers into letting me play "Ashes" or "Sunken Treasure" or "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" I just feel light and happy. As much as I appreciate the musicianship, I have to admit it's probably still about 75% Jeff's voice. There's just a quality to it that I love.

Having said that, I think there will actually be lots of other things to do in the general area of the Berkshires if there are parts of the festival that seem skippable. There's the museum itself; a friend in Boston who's been there before says they have really fascinating exhibits and it's supposed to be a wonderful art space generally. Then there's the nearby Williamstown Theatre Festival, which is going on while we'll be there. I understand this is a well regarded theatre festival, so there may be some sort of scene around that, and Williamstown is just about 5 miles away. I'm actually not concerned about downtime, but then I'm not traveling with kids, so that does add a whole other level.

Don't you love that poster? Looks like a throwback. . . in a good way!

I didn't sell my ticket yet :) and I was lucky enough to live in the same state as Jeff's sister so he played a solo acoustic show in Phoenix last December that I was able to attend. It was fantastic. I'm really excited about SolidSound. Now I just have to pull off airfare.

"WILCO Curated Film Series"? I hope they aren't talking Man in the Sand , I am Trying or Sunken; I don't think I want to watch those at this event. They wouldn't do that, would they? Rock and Roll High School...

drat! i have to leave Sunday as my wife has her first day of teacher in service for the new school year that starts on monday and i live over a 1000 miles away from Northern Ma. Sundays line up should be Saturday and Saturdays should be Friday! :realmad

I'm really excited for this festival again despite the change from the original announcement in the first post of this thread.

With a vibrant roster of musical performances, sound sculpture, comedy, demonstrations and more curated by Chicago-based band Wilco, the Solid Sound Festival will unfold over three days at MASS MoCA's factory campus in the Berkshires on August 13-15, 2010. This festival will feature two headline performances by Wilco, plus individual performances by all the Wilco members' side projects including: Glenn Kotche's On Fillmore, The Nels Cline Singers, The Autumn Defense featuring John Stirratt and Pat Sansone and Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto. Festival is outdoors, rain or shine.

I mean, it's kinda hard not to be disappointed by this. Tweedy solo kinda makes up for it but still...you know.

am i the only one thinking of skipping friday? looks like i could save on a night at a hotel :dontgetit

The Books are amazing. And Pronto? Hell yes! I wouldn't skip Friday if I was going.