Longtime MLB catcher Buck Martinez criticizes Buster Posey's approach on the collision play.

Martinez had his own leg broken in a collision when his cleat got stuck in the mud, but he still managed to turn a double play and tag out two runners at the plate after breaking his leg!

Carter, Martinez, Scioscia, Bench: Guys like these knew how to cover the plate!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longtime MLB catcher Buck Martinez criticizes Buster Posey's approach on the collision play.

Martinez had his own leg broken in a collision when his cleat got stuck in the mud, but he still managed to turn a double play and tag out two runners at the plate after breaking his leg!

Carter, Martinez, Scioscia, Bench: Guys like these knew how to cover the plate!

Bad mechanics...

Another example of poor plate protection by a catcher, this time costing the Royals the ballgame. Pena was doing fine until he pulled that ole move right at point when he should have been dropping down on the sliding runner, assertively bringing the tag to him, preventing a score and a loss.

Third base coach Dave Anderson is a genius for sending Mike Napoli of all guys, right? :P

Another example of poor plate protection by a catcher, this time costing the Royals the ballgame. Pena was doing fine until he pulled that ole move right at point when he should have been dropping down on the sliding runner, assertively bringing the tag to him, preventing a score and a loss.

Third base coach Dave Anderson is a genius for sending Mike Napoli of all guys, right? :P

Risk/reward. Dave Anderson is crazy. He has sent Hamilton home from second on infield plays before. Sometimes crazy is good. Sometimes it bites you in the ass.

It's been done since baseball began. You don't change the rules just because someone gets hurt. If this was the backup catcher, would anyone be asking for these changes? No.

And here is probably the worst reason for not doing somerthing: "because it's always been done that way."

Never suggested rules needed to be changed. I've seen plenty of collisions at home plate and it just looked like a cheap hit to me.

Bah.

Why does this make you happy?

You don't remember the Bonderman talk last summer that spanned 4 pages or so? LOL

I'm glad that he's sitting out (possibly retired for good) after saying something along the lines of "well, I'd like to retire due to injuries, but if I can get a contract that I like then I'll come back" :blink

I'd rather see the Tigers let one of their minor leaguers get the call up and start games, instead of someone who has a past history of breaking down. We've been over this before. :lol

Edit: All of this occurred to me after the Red Sox played them over the weekend. I thought that he might have been in the pen, then did a search for his name to find out his status.

You don't remember the Bonderman talk last summer that spanned 4 pages or so? LOL

I'm glad that he's sitting out (possibly retired for good) after saying something along the lines of "well, I'd like to retire due to injuries, but if I can get a contract that I like then I'll come back" :blink

I'd rather see the Tigers let one of their minor leaguers get the call up and start games, instead of someone who has a past history of breaking down. We've been over this before. :lol

Edit: All of this occurred to me after the Red Sox played them over the weekend. I thought that he might have been in the pen, then did a search for his name to find out his status.

Oh yeahhhhh...

Thought that seemed familiar. I still don't get why he rubs you the wrong way, so to speak. He's got a savings account and preferred retiring to riding a bus in the minors... Sounds like a nice way to go.

I still don't get why he rubs you the wrong way, so to speak.

Well, it's all based on principle. While I respect his original way of expressing himself, in a sports world of overused cliches, I don't like the message that he was giving off. We talked about this way before the minor league thing was brought up. It came off as very "well, I may retire because of my injuries, although I might take a contract that looks nice and break down by mid season and who cares. It's the ballclub's risk and not mine." Things like that don't really work in other professions where someone makes a statement about retiring and talking about being old or not being able to do your job, then they say in the same breath "well, if Kramerica offered me a 1 year contract I'd take it and see what happens."

I guess I was thinking about some other pitchers who are quiet about that type of stuff and get resigned and break down. Someone like Ben Sheets. I'm sure that the team knows more than the public, but I'm just sick of these players reaching for contracts if they're damaged goods.

And as I said before, I would hope that the Tigers pass on him and use that money elsewhere.

His time would be better spent in developing a coaching focus on the technique of playing the catcher position. Once Pose went to his knees in that play, there was nothing good that could happen. Posey is a converted catcher and his mechanics still don't come naturally to him.

And by the way, if the Giants overtly retailiate, I imagine the GM could find himself in a dicey position with the league. The very fact that he voiced a veiled threat makes it certain that nothing will happen. If it does, the team should face dire consequences.

And by the way, if the Giants overtly retailiate, I imagine the GM could find himself in a dicey position with the league. The very fact that he voiced a veiled threat makes it certain that nothing will happen. If it does, the team should face dire consequences.

Joe Torre will be calling Sabean about his comments.

It should be noted that Scott Cousins lives in the San Fransisco area and has received death threats over the play. The Giants have a fan in a coma because of over zealous fanhood gone crazy. If any organization should know better than to put a bullseye on one person, it should be the Giants.

Nine teams are reportedly beyond MLB's debt limit requirement. This info comes from anonymous sources, so I have to wonder if this is the first shot in the CBA negotiations.

The more I think about this and read Sabean's comments, I would not be too surprised if MLB doesn't penalize him in some form or fashion. He is basically encouraging some nut to do somehting.

heading to pittsburgh tomorrow morning for a sat night/ sun afternoon "twinbill" against the phightin phils with the kids.

can't wait-first time visit for pnc park - should be PHUN.

though it must be mentioned the phils play terribly there - lost tonight in extras

heading to pittsburgh tomorrow morning for a sat night/ sun afternoon "twinbill" against the phightin phils with the kids.

can't wait-first time visit for pnc park - should be PHUN.

I am so entirely jealous! It's not enough you're going to be in PNC, a park I've been badly wanting to visit, but you also get to see the Phils while you're there! Perhaps we'll be seeing a panoramic photo here in the next few days?

Don't look now...but the Rangers are catching fire. Just completed a sweep of the Indians with back to back shutouts.