• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of DBT. Seeing them tonight in Boulder.

Have fun at the rock show! 1 of my favorite bands. Think "American Band" was the best album of 2016. & it gets better every time you listen to it.

Semisonic playing their LP Great Divide + some other stuff. Hopefully not including Closing Time.

I saw them a couple times...once opening the famous last Jay show Wilco show...they were always good. Better than the one hit wonder as they get remembered for.

Have fun at the rock show! 1 of my favorite bands. Think "American Band" was the best album of 2016. & it gets better every time you listen to it.

I agree on all that! AB is an instant classic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw them a couple times...once opening the famous last Jay show Wilco show...they were always good. Better than the one hit wonder as they get remembered for.

Brilliant show @ 1st Ave including an Erotic City cover and no Closing Time.

Robyn Hitchcock.

Damnit. Did you see him at the Old Town School?

I am jealous.

I had some other friends that were at that show, too.

Saw the flaming lips on Saturday. They closed out the local shit show of a week long festival my city puts on. It was super awesome. They did tons of old stuff, and because they were on a 40ft high barge on the river they even used biodegradable confetti. Probably Top 20 Concerts  territory. 

The last song was "Do you realize?" and the event organizers launched the fireworks before they even finished the song. Wayne told us at the beginning of the show that the first couple fireworks contained the cremated remains of a stage hand that worked for the local union here, which made it all the more poignant. It was amazing.

Saw the flaming lips on Saturday. They closed out the local shit show of a week long festival my city puts on. It was super awesome. They did tons of old stuff, and because they were on a 40ft high barge on the river they even used biodegradable confetti. Probably Top 20 Concerts  territory. 

The last song was "Do you realize?" and the event organizers launched the fireworks before they even finished the song. Wayne told us at the beginning of the show that the first couple fireworks contained the cremated remains of a stage hand that worked for the local union here, which made it all the more poignant. It was amazing.

I've seen them several times & they are always amazing. Saw them in May & this year was really good. Steven Drodz is 1 of my favorite musicians & the guitar solo on "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate" was so emotional. Stellar.

i checked out the set list... and i guess our definition of 'old stuff' differs quite a bit.

i get that it was an abbreviated festival set, but they totally ignore their first seven records at routine headlining gigs...

I should have clarified.

When I saw them in 2012 here at a mid-sized venue, they were touring on The Terror and did a bunch of stuff from that. I went into it thinking I was gonna get a set like what I saw them do on ACL with Beck when that was on TV and I fell in love with both The Lips and Beck after that...it was a good show (even though my sister got severely dehydrated and passed out in the encore, so I had to do a kind of football charge to get out of there after security whisked her over the rail), but it wasn't exactly an uplifting show experience.

I was kinda disappointed they did tons of stuff from The Terror in '12, which is why the set at Riverbend was much better, imo. I guess Yoshimi & Soft Bulletin are considered mid-career records? For me they were the 1st ones I got, and didn't check out the older stuff till a couple years ago. It was just more reminiscent of those albums I fell in love with in high school. 

^^^ Highly recommend "Transmissions From the Satellite Heart."  I discovered it just this year (released in 1993) and it's easily my favorite Flaming Lips album.

^Chez I used like Transmissions the best then I heard Clouds Taste Metallic! SOOO GOOD! Either way great place to start on either album

the anniversary package of "Clouds" is really cool. live disc from that era is amazing.

remphish -- I'll check out Clouds Taste Metallic.

Good call.

"Bad Days" is probably my favorite Lips' song.