• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped making the effort (traveling more than an hour or 2) to see them in 91. Still saw runs at Rosemont and Soldiers Field. I dumped my ticket to what turned out to be their last show after seeing how bad Jerry was the day before. I remember walking home that night to Old Town from Soldiers Field feeling really sad about Jerrys state. When I got by St MIchaels church, I ran into one of my roommates who just got stuck up and robbed. What a weird day/night that was.

I thought '90 and '91 were great years. Some of those Hornsby shows are among me favorite GD shows of all.

My last show was at MSG in March '91. Compared with the other shows I'd seen ('82-'84), it was subpar. Jerry's vocals and even his guitar playing declined so precipitously between '81-'91, I couldn't hang. Even today, I rarely listen to any post-84 Dead.

First show was 92, and felt like most shows I saw were good, a few were great, but the decline was pretty intense in 94 and 95. Even the bad ones had some great moments that may have made them worthwhile. Saw the 2nd to last show at Soldier's and was pissed. Pretty much knew it was over, or at least that I wouldn't be putting much effort into seeing them. But man, the Visions from that night was epic, whether Jerry read it off a teleprompter or not. Shock waves through the stadium when he lifted his arm up in the air to the line "And even Mona Lisa must've had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles." Goosebumps thinking about it. Jerry could still bring the magic, but wasn't able to muster it often enough. RIP.

My last show was at MSG in March '91. Compared with the other shows I'd seen ('82-'84), it was subpar. Jerry's vocals and even his guitar playing declined so precipitously between '81-'91, I couldn't hang. Even today, I rarely listen to any post-84 Dead.

Funny, I was off the bus from '81-87, and never listen to any shows from the '81-84 era!

Actually 91 MSG is/are one of the bright spots post Brent

'90 MSG too. And '91 Boston. And the first Branford show at Nassau, what was that, March '90?

Yep, 3/29/90. That show was truly epic. I wasn't there, but I remember when I got the tapes a couple of months later. That second set pre-drums was as sick as anything in the last decade of the band imo. I was just dumbstruck when I heard it.

WRP - give the first half of the Brent years a chance! I actually like '79-'81 better than '76-'78, but ymmv as they say.

I left shakedown and went on Spin Doctors tour :P

It's sad what drugs will do the youths  :twitchsmile

My last show (I think) was Vegas in '93.  Sting opened?  But I moved from the US to Germany in '93 so that was the end of it for me.

All the shows I saw were from '80-'86 and the only stuff I listen to anymore is '69-'72 ...

Funny, I was off the bus from '81-87, and never listen to any shows from the '81-84 era!

Why are you self-imposing punishment on yourself? There are whole-show nuggets from every year of GD history, even '95. '83 is a kick-ass year. The SPAC show alone can not be ignored (possibly the best 'Dew ever).

Why are you self-imposing punishment on yourself? There are whole-show nuggets from every year of GD history, even '95. '83 is a kick-ass year. The SPAC show alone can not be ignored (possibly the best 'Dew ever).

Been watching the Rockpalast show from '81, and that is a good example. Some stellar playing.

I know from friends they did some, or at least one, epic shows in Maine during this period. Among their favorite shows of all time. I've still never listened, but this has prompted me to get to it.

Yep, 3/29/90. That show was truly epic. I wasn't there, but I remember when I got the tapes a couple of months later. That second set pre-drums was as sick as anything in the last decade of the band imo. I was just dumbstruck when I heard it.

Yes, and the Eyes>Estimated is not too shabby. I wasn't their either, but the tape circulated pretty quickly on the WELL. Blew me away.

Possibly the best Dew ever? That means I should definitely check it out.

dude that is a bit boring. jerry and pete look like they couldn't add 2 plus 2. like high on some really good heroin

Nah, it's good stuff. Not epic by any means, but a good time.....The show, as a whole, is excellent.

Never thought I ever be in IRDB's corner, but regarding the 1981 Rockpalast show - kinda endless vamping that never goes anywhere when Pete was on stage - I haven't watched in quite sometime, though - perhaps another viewing is order.

The quality of the Rockpalast show is overall very high...but Pete's presence doesn't add much. It looks like he didn't really know what to do, so he played a few tasty fills, some rhythm...not much to write home about. Still a very enjoyable show, just don't expect anything over-the-top just because Pete sits in.