• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby sat in with Wilco again last night and they played Dark Star.

I'm at a loss for words.

Bobby sat in with Wilco again last night and they played Dark Star.

I'm at a loss for words.

Dark Star > Cali Stars > Dark Star. With Nels playing Duane's Goldtop. Doubly loss for words. Wilco playing Dark Star. Who would have ever thunk it? And based on that c lip, totally nailing the Dark Star. Wowsa.

New interview with David at Jambands.com:

In other big Grateful Dead news, after I don’t know how many times we’ve discussed it in the past “Sunshine Daydream” is finally getting a public viewing.

It’s so worth seeing and I’ve seen probably as much as you have with bootlegs, VHS and now DVDs and online and whatever, and the restored version looks so good and the sound was so good. It was mixed over at Bobby’s studio at TRI in San Rafael and Jeffrey [Norman] spent a very long time mixing. It’s perfect. It’s really great. And then they mastered the audio for the screening at Airshow Mastering in Boulder, Colorado with our good friend, Dave Glasser. He’s been doing a lot of video and surround sound work with us. He mastered the “Europe ’72” box as well. Certainly, it couldn’t be better. It’s going to be a great night out. I’m excited to see it. I’ve been watching it now for months during this production process, watching clips of it with the new sound and that kind of stuff, and that’s watching a DVD or stream online. To see it like this, it’s going to be very, very cool. I think it’s one we’ve all been waiting for.

Is there going to be different or additional footage than what we’ve seen in the bootlegs?

Yeah. I don’t think you’ve seen “Bird Song,” not in its entirety, for sure. And “Bird Song” has been restored and put back in. Now, the filmmakers, they filmed, luckily, most of the best stuff of the day – “China”>”Rider,” “Dark Star,” of course, “Playing in the Band,” “Jack Straw,” all that kind of stuff — but they didn’t film the entire show. So, everything that was filmed was in there and that now includes the “Birdsong,” which is very cool. It’s very similar in terms of structure to what you’ve seen over the last 20 or 30 years.

It’s still very sunny when they’re playing “Bird Song.” It’s right in the middle of the second set and it’s very, I used this the other day, in talking about it on Sirius, it’s very crisp. It’s a very crisp “Bird Song.” They’re very engaged, and Jerry just punching the bottom end on this thing is incredible. That’s the one thing that always lacking on the circulating audio copies of the show. And the video, of course, has never really had good audio but the bottom end they produce on this is just amazing. So, yeah, big news as you say, big, big news. It’s going to be a great night.

Is there going to be a soundtrack?

There’s been no officially released Veneta. I don’t know I’m not sure what the specific plans after the screening. Certainly, I would say we tell people to check dead.net ‘cause that’s where any announcements get made. But certainly our focus the last few months has been this screening on August 1 and beyond that it’s really just a matter of how much work we’ve all put into this screening, not to mention the May ’77 box.

The screening has really been the focus because the screenings have really proven to be incredibly popular in terms of getting people out. We do a lot of really great stuff in terms of making the archives accessible in terms of the May ’77 box, the Europe ’72 but the one thing we don’t do that often is get people out and dancing and into a room together because we’re not a live band. We’re an archival release record company but we did something in Port Chester, New York with the Capitol Theatre. We played a complete Grateful Dead show (2/24/71) and they have a full light show, the in-house light show, and they played it through the huge sound system. A thousand people came out to come and listen to this. It was a very good Dead show from a very good era that happened to also be at the Capitol Theatre.

What it showed us is that there’s really an appetite…well, we know that there’s an appetite for Deadheads together. Look at the crowds at Furthur shows, at Dark Star Orchestra shows. People love getting out and hearing Grateful Dead music, whatever the content, and for us to go to play a Dead tape or CD as the case were of an unreleased show certainly there was in interest in that.  Likewise, the meet-ups at the movies. Two years ago, we did The Grateful Dead Movie. Last year, we did the July 18, 1989 in Alpine Valley show, the middle night at Alpine ’89. The response was just absolutely huge in terms of both the amount of people that came out and we played it at more than 500 theatres around the country. Then, the feeling about it after the fact is, “Could you please do more of this at least once a year but hopefully even more than that?” To us that’s what we’ve really been focusing on. It’s nice to once in awhile get people out.

Okay, because it would just make sense to package the DVD and CD together. “Here’s the video. Here’s the audio. You’re set.”

I love it, man. I really do think it’s a great show. The legend of the show is certainly matched by the performance. You think of so many of the legendary Dead shows like Woodstock and Egypt and Watkins Glen and I’m not talking about sound check, but the actual show. And the legend is there but the performance sometimes doesn’t match up with the legend. Europe 1990. Europe ’81. Some very good shows there but these didn’t end being at the level of Europe ’72. That kind of thing.

So, a lot of legendary performances don’t measure up to the legend where this one not only is that but I think performance absolutely surpasses the legend. You take the legend of this show away, the 20,000 hippies in a field at a benefit show. You take all that stuff away and you listen to this as music and it’s one of the best Dead shows ever. And obviously, you’ve got the songs like “Dark Star” and “Playin’ in the Band” and “China”>”Rider,” which are some of the bigger songs of 1972. They’re some of the best versions of those songs ever. “Bird Song,” all that stuff, it’s the smaller songs that are absolute monsters. You think “Jack Straw,” “He’s Gone”…I was working on “He’s Gone” from the show, just a few months ago. It’s a great show, the smaller songs. So anyway, the point is I would love to see this thing come out. It’s a show I certainly would put on the top of my CD pile as I listen through things.

I don't think we are going to see a recording. From what I have heard/read, it was no taping allowed. We'll see, I guess.

Yeah, it was incredibly tight security. Even back in the 200 section, staff members were walking around with "Absolutely No Photography" signs, and I was told by one of the other concertgoers that one of them had taken her cell phone camera and made her delete a photo! I think the only way full-length versions of songs will surface would be if someone smuggled some decent recording equipment into the venue in her purse.

I don't think that is true when it comes to Wilco shows. With regards to the other bands, and those who tape them, I don't know. I think as Mr. Heartbreak has pointed out, security was tight.

I have/had a pretty big taping project called MOTB. We see a lot of stuff that dosent circ. There are total completest Dylan and MMJ tapers & There are Atlanta guys who pull everything, and i mean everything. no one has heard of heard of them (prolific like joebeacon, NYC taper, scott berstine zman) in the hat Binaural upfront. Trust me if its done I will find it. I am an old taper and am involved in a network of tapers. I put out the call it might take a month to filter but it will surface. It will, if from these guys, be no trade... Lets see..

aegert

I have/had a pretty big taping project called MOTB. We see a lot of stuff that dosent circ. There are total completest Dylan and MMJ tapers & There are Atlanta guys who pull everything, and i mean everything. no one has heard of heard of them (prolific like joebeacon, NYC taper, scott berstine zman) in the hat Binaural upfront. Trust me if its done I will find it. I am an old taper and am involved in a network of tapers. I put out the call it might take a month to filter but it will surface. It will, if from these guys, be no trade... Lets see..

aegert

Interesting. I suppose I am going by what I have seen over the past several years with regards to collecting Wilco shows. You are mostly right - they may appear today, next month, or sometime in the future. For some reason, it is usually the shows that take place out of the country that appear right after a show is over. I don't really collect any other shows. Although sometimes I will grab a show from The Black Crowes and/or Ronnie Lane era Faces.

every show gets pulled the question is not weather it was, it's will it surface. I am going to reach out to a few southern friends

hopefully someone will put them all together on a compilation

I was at this show.  I'll have to buy it.  They keep getting my money by putting out shows I was at!  I bought the May '77 box mostly because I was at the St. Louis show, I'm very glad I bought it.  Just don't remind me how much it cost.

Listened to the show a number of times already - it's a good one. I am a subscriber, so I would be getting it regardless. I enjoy releases that I don't have or never heard of before, though.