Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket summer tour

Yeah, but by most accounts his live performances are less than stellar at best, so where does that leave us? Paying for a name. No thanks, I'd rather just listen to the records.

Don't get me wrong - I understand why some people would want to catch this tour. It looks great on paper. I also hate the thought of missing Wilco, but I'll just have to enjoy Solid Sound even more to compensate. :)

The last time I saw Dylan was, holy crap, over 10 years ago at the same ballpark they're playing in Minnesota this time around. If it was anyone besides Bob, I'd have left early because it really just wasn't very good and the big draw for me was Ani DiFranco opening up for him. But it was Dylan and, well, I was still mesmerized even though I couldn't understand a word he sang. VERY excited to see Richard Thompson! For those of you hitting a date with Ryan Bingham, if you haven't checked him out, he's pretty damn good for a former bull rider :)

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on for both points here...

1) Yeah anything that gets Wilco exposed to more potential folks is alright by me & then some...and this tour is doing that for both Wilco & Richard Thompson, who I adore at about the same level of passion. I'd love to see the gang get some $ to up their instrument & equipment collections, and/or kids college funds/retirement cache...

Richard Thompson is on this tour?   That makes me more likely to go.

you're right! i was thinking of Chastain Park (though, I must say it is well named :lol Chastain is my Maiden name). 

Gah, that show, while awesome, left a lot to be desired of the crowd. 

Saw an interview recently where John said it was the wettest show Wilco's ever played. I'd have to agree.

Chastain is notorious for rude audiences.  Many artists have stopped their shows because of bad behavior from the crowd.  I saw Neil Young stop and abort a quiet song during the Greendale tour.  A friend of mine saw people throw cheese at Jethro Tull during a table set-up show.   The best, though, is this:

http://www.cmt.com/news/20-questions/1535357/20-questions-with-garrison-keillor.jhtml

7. I'm a fan from Atlanta and am so sorry that the audience was so rude last year when you brought the radio show to Chastain Park. We've seen many talented artists -- from Randy Newman and Lyle Lovett to Rickie Lee Jones and Dan Fogelberg -- leave the stage in frustration at this elitist outdoor country club of a concert venue. I hope this hasn't soured you on Atlanta, where you are dearly loved. Would you consider returning to the regal and more appropriate Fox Theatre in the future? There you would get the listening ears and warm laughter you so richly deserve!

I remember the Fox well, and it's a fine venue, but I was recently in Columbus, Ga., and really came to love that town in short order. Carson McCullers grew up there, and her childhood home is preserved. There's an old opera house there. And there's a fabulous new auditorium that is as fine as any I've ever played in. I stayed in a B&B that I loved in a shotgun cottage on a quiet street, and there was a sweet little café down on the corner where you got pancakes in the morning. The people I met in Columbus were so comfortable. I felt at home there right away. It wasn't "star treatment" or anything like that. It was pure wholehearted Southern hospitality. I did my one-man show and afterward was invited to a newspaper guy's house and sat around on the porch talking with his wife and her parents and her sister and the sister's daughter and a couple of historians, and it was the sort of evening you wish could last forever. For the rest of my life, I prefer to be in the company of people like those and not in the company of rich drunks.

Richard Thompson is on this tour?   That makes me more likely to go.

These are the dates with Richard Thompson opening the show...

07/02 – Memphis, TN @ AutoZone Park

07/05 – Noblesville, IN @ Klipsch Music Center

07/06 – Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center

07/07 – Columbus, OH @ Nationwide Arena

07/10 – St. Paul, MN @ Midway Stadium

07/11 – Peoria, IL @ Chiefs Stadium

07/12 – Chicago, IL @ Toyota Park

07/14 – Clarkstown, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre

07/15 – Toronto, ON @ Molson Canadian Amphitheatre

I love Richard Thompson too. A helluva guitar player and singer and songwriter, plus he's very engaging and funny in person. Too bd he's not on the bill at the shows I'm going to. Ryan Bingham had something to do with the songs in the movie "Crazy Heart" with Jeff Bridges, as did T-Bone Burnette.

Thanks for that.  Too bad no Atlanta date.   I got to see him in a 200 capacity club about ten years ago and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I got really lucky and scored two pit tickets for Atlanta.  My tickets say Pit Row 5 but LiveNation said Pit Row 5 General Admission, so I'm not sure if there will be actual seats or not, but either way I'm psyched.

The Atlanta venue has always been reserved seating, plus a general admission lawn behind the reserved seats.  If you have a seat number, it should be reserved.  To my knowledge, there has never been a general admission show there.

The Atlanta venue has always been reserved seating, plus a general admission lawn behind the reserved seats.  If you have a seat number, it should be reserved.  To my knowledge, there has never been a general admission show there.

When I saw REM there back in 08, they had a tiny GA pit up in front of the reserved sections, so I'm thinking that may be the case.  While I'd certainly prefer to have a seat, I'm happy either way.

When I saw REM there back in 08, they had a tiny GA pit up in front of the reserved sections, so I'm thinking that may be the case.  While I'd certainly prefer to have a seat, I'm happy either way.

I think you're correct. I believe there's a small pit area in front of the reserved seats that is GA. I also got "Row 5" in the pit.

btw--Hi, I'm Kyle...this is my first post here. :)

Yeah, looking into it further, I guess they do have an open pit area for some shows.  I never knew that, and they've never had this at any concert I've attended there.   Seems liike a Dylan/Wilco/etc. show wouldn't justify a pit, but what do I know?   I guess you'll have to go out tot he lawn if you want to sit down.

Got two tickets for 7/5, Indy, immediatley in the presale. I coninuted to check for "better seats". Around 11 a.m. the map opened to the interactive "choose your own seats". I found two tickets 3 rows further back, but instead of being on the outside isle in front of speakers, we are now on the inside isle. Thought I would let the rest of you know that the LiveNation/Ticketmaster refund policy really does work and for those of you wondering if there are different ticket prices for the pavilion(s), the answer is yes, check out the Klipsch Music Center, Noblesville, IN

$95

$74.10

$52.45

Got two tickets for 7/5, Indy, immediatley in the presale. I coninuted to check for "better seats". Around 11 a.m. the map opened to the interactive "choose your own seats". I found two tickets 3 rows further back, but instead of being on the outside isle in front of speakers, we are now on the inside isle. Thought I would let the rest of you know that the LiveNation/Ticketmaster refund policy really does work and for those of you wondering if there are different ticket prices for the pavilion(s), the answer is yes, check out the Klipsch Music Center, Noblesville, IN

$95

$74.10

$52.45

Good intel, thanks!

I scored 2 tickets to the Live Nation Ampitheatre show in Tampa, but I am less than thrilled with the way this presale was done. I signed right in at 10:00 a.m. and went for the higher price range ($106), but it only directed me to "general admission pit" as the area. Of course, that is the area in front of the stage, which sounds good, but it did not have seat assignments listed, so I have no way of knowing whether or not we are way the heck off to the side.

Now I log in again and look at my receipt and it says "Section: Pit; Row: 1001; Seats: 1039-1040." So it sounds like we will at least have seats if we want to take a sitting break, but I have no idea if they are center, or way off to the side.

Does anyone know this place well enough to give me some clue as to where in "the pit" this is? It looks kind of large on the internet, but a search for a truly detailed seating chart yields nothing...