Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket summer tour

Really excited that this show is happening!  Hope Wilco and MMJ's sets are at least kind of long-ish...  At any rate I am there for the Irvine show.  So thankful that they are covering so much ground on this tour.

I will be at Irvine, as well! 

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed people think $80 to $110 is expensive. The last time each of these guys toured Australia (admittedly headline tours) the top ticket prices (just face value) were $107.20 (Wilco), $72.45 (MMJ) and $175 (Dylan). A show here featuring all of them would probably be over $200 for the top tickets.

I'm always shocked at how cheap Wilco tickets usually are, generally in the $45-$60 range. I agree that for a bill like this these prices are more than reasonable. Whether the shows will be entirely satisfying for fans of any of the three headliners is another story entirely, since everybody will be playing way shorter sets than they would be as a headliner. 

I've resigned myself to the notion that each set individually--well, specifically Wilco's--will not be everything a hardcore fan will want to hear. (For that, there's Solid Sound. :worship) What I'm hoping for instead is an afternoon/evening of good music, a chance to hear MMJ live for the first time, paying tribute to THE legendary songwriter of a generation, and of course my favorite band in the world. Plus, even though I hear what everyone is saying about how unlikely it is that there will be much collaboration during Bob's set, I just bet there will be. Bob will just be finishing up a long tour himself and maybe he'll be ready to let these younger guys who were obviously influenced by him take the stage and pay tribute to him. Wilco and MMJ are pretty much at the top of their game now. Bob, on the other hand, simply can't be because of his really severe voice problems, but he's still got that anarchic spirit and genius. I just don't think he'll let this opportunity for creative collaborations with these other great artists pass him by.  

I just don't think he'll let this opportunity for creative collaborations with these other great artists pass him by.  

Most artists that open for Bob come off the tour saying they never even met him, let alone played with him. I doubt collaborations will happen but I'd love to be pleasently surprised. Hell, Bob isn't playing "Like a Rolling Stone" anymore so anything's possible.

This show will be 30 minutes from my house and I prob won't go. I can't justify that price for 60 min of Wilco. I have seen Bob a few times before and am good for now. :uhoh

I am thinking of passing, too - Wilco and Dylan are my favorites - but seeing them at Toyota Park (Chicago-area) is not appealing - wish they would have stuck with the ballparks.

Anybody seen if kid's under a certain age are free, (typical to the ballpark shows) - I haven't seen such info.

The length of the sets is not really an issue, though - just location, location, location.

Most artists that open for Bob come off the tour saying they never even met him, let alone played with him. I doubt collaborations will happen but I'd love to be pleasently surprised. Hell, Bob isn't playing "Like a Rolling Stone" anymore so anything's possible.

Dylan actually has security clear the hallways and you are told to stay in your rooms when he comes and goes just to make sure he doesn't meet anyone even though the only people there are on the frickin' tour.  Contrast that to James Brown who grabbed a chair, sat on the side of the stage while we were setting up and even sound checked his vocal mic, the Organ, Bass and one of the drum sets.

The pre-sales for anything I could make are 4/30, with the general public on sale 5/3 & 5/4. I'm now about 50/50 on the fence about this...especially after reading a negative post here about the venue for Toronto.
For me it's a little tough to justify the cost for 60 minutes of Wilco & maybe 30 minutes of Richard Thompson. While I love Dylan, & he was great the last time I saw him, he figures into the equation, but precious little at this point...and MMJ are neutral at best, & another clock eating factor that matters to me about as much as watching the set changes between bands.
The date closest to me doesn't have Richard Thompson, & is at a totally terrible venue (Darien Lake) & the other option is to drive, at best, 6 hours round trip to Toronto, & at a potentially crappy venue with expensive tickets...I think I'm talking myself out of this as I write...wish things were different...
If there were longer sets for Wilco & Thompson, and/or better venues nearby, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but right now, I just don't know...and the momentum has certainly shifted for me after the initial thrill had to face down the hard cold logistics of the time constraints (& for my region, venue issues) of these shows...
At the very least, I'm thinking more of waiting until the week of 6/26 to start hearing the reports about what is really happening at the shows (set lists, set lengths, etc.) & then consider getting tickets closer to the date of the show...that depends of the ticket market/situation for any given show you'd consider- so you just hope there's lots of tickets out there & prices are dropping...

Most artists that open for Bob come off the tour saying they never even met him, let alone played with him. I doubt collaborations will happen but I'd love to be pleasently surprised. Hell, Bob isn't playing "Like a Rolling Stone" anymore so anything's possible.

I believe it. I was local crew at the one Dylan show I've seen (I only did it with the hope of seeing a personal hero up close). Every where he went backstage he was surrounded by a few heavies who shooed people out of the way. He wore a black hoodie with the hood up and dark sunglasses. He seemed kinda lost and confused. Seeing all this (and the trainwreck show) was a huge let down, and it honestly took me a long time before I could listen to him again.

Dylan actually has security clear the hallways and you are told to stay in your rooms when he comes and goes just to make sure he doesn't meet anyone even though the only people there are on the frickin' tour.  Contrast that to James Brown who grabbed a chair, sat on the side of the stage while we were setting up and even sound checked his vocal mic, the Organ, Bass and one of the drum sets.

Years ago I was the guest of a band opening up for Dylan.  I was backstage with the opener's tour manager when a security guard came running down the hall with a "5 minutes to Bob" warning.  The tour manager then explained how Dylan's people had made it very clear that Bob did not want to "make eye contact or smell anybody" on his way to the stage.  I thought this was a joke - but they were dead serious.  A few minutes later four of us ducked into a janitor's closet (myself, another guest, and the opening bands tour manager and lighting director).  We waited about 5 minutes in the tiny closet before the TM cracked the door and peaked out to see if the coast was clear ... of course it was just at the moment Dylan was passing and eye contact was made.  Quickly shutting the door the TM was not happy and said something like "I'll hear about that later".  I am a fan of some of the man's studio records, but that's about it.

I'm skipping this one. I'd rather give Wilco my money when it's a 2 hour show and I won't have to fight with MMJ fans or Dylan fans for a spot on the rail if it's GA. 

It's too much $ for us at this point anyhow... and the venues aren't the best. The Nashville date is slightly more appealing because there it's a big open field, but ATL is horrible... absolutely awful. 

So I'll wait for the fall or winter with high hopes of a return to the ryman. 

Years ago I was the guest of a band opening up for Dylan.  I was backstage with the opener's tour manager when a security guard came running down the hall with a "5 minutes to Bob" warning.  The tour manager then explained how Dylan's people had made it very clear that Bob did not want to "make eye contact or smell anybody" on his way to the stage.  I thought this was a joke - but they were dead serious.  A few minutes later four of us ducked into a janitor's closet (myself, another guest, and the opening bands tour manager and lighting director).  We waited about 5 minutes in the tiny closet before the TM cracked the door and peaked out to see if the coast was clear ... of course it was just at the moment Dylan was passing and eye contact was made.  Quickly shutting the door the TM was not happy and said something like "I'll hear about that later".  I am a fan fan of some of the man's studio records, but that's about it.

:lol

What? 

Wow. I guess when you're a music legend you really do get to make the rules! 

A head's up to people planning to buy reserved seats for Camden: the Live Nation page for the show states that all reserved seats (i.e. everything not on the lawn) will be paperless, nontransferrable tickets. I see what they're trying to do, but that's $106 blown if your plans change. I checked some of the pages for other shows sold through LN, and it seems Camden is the only one doing this. I'm planning to go to Merriweather, but I may pass on this one for that reason.

Also, I so wish this were at the Mann Center. It's a vastly better venue and so much easier to get to.

Anyone (Solace maybe?) ever been to a show at Midway Stadium?  Where is the stage set up.   I was thinking that lawn seats (on the field) would be the best bet to try to get close, but from the way others are talking, that isn't the case.  They aren't behind the stage or anything, are they?

The amphitheater in ATL is crummy. The sound is terrible. The set up is terrible. Unequivocally the worst place to see a show in that town. 

I have a friend who is a professional photographer and he refuses to shoot there it's so bad. 

Great thread.

1. Most of us here have seen in Wilco in much more intimate venues than ballparks (some of seen that too including me), so we aren't running to see Wilco play 45 minutes or an hour somewhere where they are 4 inches tall again.  But if Jeff still reads this shit, congratulations on getting this gig and opening for Dylan. It is still an honor and some major cash I hope for your sake.

2. Why would Dylan not be a bit of a freak at this point.  There are any number of people who could do him in or at least think they need to get next to him for whatever reason.  He has every reason to be paranoid and a bit crazy.  Few artists of his stature tour as much as he does and even less have made the impact on popular music.  While he has turned out a bit like Howard Hughes while still putting himself out there every night, so be it. 

LouieB

2. Why would Dylan not be a bit of a freak at this point.  There are any number of people who could do him in or at least think they need to get next to him for whatever reason.  He has every reason to be paranoid and a bit crazy.  Few artists of his stature tour as much as he does and even less have made the impact on popular music.  While he has turned out a bit like Howard Hughes while still putting himself out there every night, so be it. 

LouieB

This. Success is a bitch. See also Elvis, Michael Jackson, Prince, Hendrix, Morrison, etc. Hard to imagine being an introverted guy and people treating you like Jesus rock star.  Even celebrities melt around Dylan, guy is intimidating.

Plus, I know if I had the ability to keep 99% of the world out of my space I would take that.  

Aside from all this nonsense, while I love all the bands on this tour, and have not been too amazed with the last few Dylan shows I've seen, Dylan would be the reason to catch one of these shows. Duke Robillard just joined the band, they are finally playing a lot of stuff off Tempest, shows are getting great reviews, and it seems Dylan has really created a unique setlist - not much variation night to night, seems he really knows what he is going for, song selection is excellent (Blind Willie McTell, Visions of Johanna).  Dylan has been up and down his whole career. Live shows have been trending downward since 2002, seems like he might be heading back up. He's been written off before many times. 

Great thread.

1. Most of us here have seen in Wilco in much more intimate venues than ballparks (some of seen that too including me), so we aren't running to see Wilco play 45 minutes or an hour somewhere where they are 4 inches tall again.  But if Jeff still reads this shit, congratulations on getting this gig and opening for Dylan. It is still an honor and some major cash I hope for your sake.

2. Why would Dylan not be a bit of a freak at this point.  There are any number of people who could do him in or at least think they need to get next to him for whatever reason.  He has every reason to be paranoid and a bit crazy.  Few artists of his statue tour as much as he does and even less have made the impact on popular music.  While he has turned out a bit like Howard Hughes while still putting himself out there every night, so be it. 

LouieB

Ditto on all the above. Plus, Bob Dylan has never been a guy you'd think you'd like to have a beer with. He's famously--and intentionally, and frustratingly--inscrutable. There are some great artists, of course, like Springsteen, who does seem more like a regular guy. But a transformative genius like Dylan doesn't come along very often, and a certain element of orneriness seems to go with the territory. He goes his own way.

My comments earlier about his not being at the top of his game are only directed at his voice, which I personally find painful to listen to these days. It's just shot. And his shows can be hit or miss, but I've never seen a show that wasn't at least interesting, and his band is always great.

Ditto on all the above. Plus, Bob Dylan has never been a guy you'd think you'd like to have a beer with.

I always thought I'd like to have a beer with Dylan. :lol

I agree though, if I was Dylan, I would want to stay away from the freak fans, too.

Going to catch Dylan this Thursday in Champaign IL - decided yesterday to take a night trek to the show. Anyway, like Wilco, every time I see Dylan I say, okay that's enough of seeing him live, but I always break down and see him again.