Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket summer tour

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand these festival shows, I went to the Camden show last year with Dr. Dog and Avett Brothers and Wilco played a stadard short set, it seems to me that it would be simple to just start the shows earlier and that way all the acts would get a nice long set, instead we're looking at 45 minutes to an hour of Wilco. Philly deserves a proper Wilco headlining show!

This concept is about two things from what I can tell: getting people exposed to the music & making money. Each artist has a very good chance at picking up fans who don't know them, but love at least one of the other artists. Having 3-4 popular bands on the bill assures a large turnout (= large $ intake).

To start early enough for MMJ and Wilco to play a full set would necessitate starting at 2:45 as far as I can tell (logic below) and people can't get to a show that early on a week day.

2:45 Ryan Bingy

3:15 set change

3:40 MMJ

5:40 Set change

6:10 Wilco

8:10 Set change

8:40 Dylan

10:30 Curfew

Thanks for the info, Bosco (and sorry to have maligned your home town :) )

I'm leaning toward Mansfield, partly because I think there may be less likelihood of an early curfew. Could be wrong, though.

Not my hometown, I just work here, Bridgeport IS a dump ;^)

Mansfield pricing:

US $60.00 - US $90.00 US $60.00 Ticket + US $14.00 Fees =

US $74.00 US $90.00 Ticket + US $16.70 Fees =

US $106.70

Ouch! :blink

Yup. Unless I get VERY good seats in the per-sale, I'm out. That's just too much money to see short sets from the two bands I actually want to see.

5:30-11:00= 330 minutes...
I'm hoping for
Dylan- 90
Wilco- 75 (but could be 60)
MMJ- 60 (but could be 45)
Thompson/Binghma-45 (but could be 30)
set changes= 3 @ 20 min. each= 60
* If it's 30 min. a set change, then you've gotta chop down each of the opening sets by 10-15 min.

I'll tell you 60 min. of Wilco & 30 min. of Richard Thompson is barely enough to get me to Toronto, because the attraction for Dylan for me anymore is minimal (& doesn't constitute a long drive anywhere, ever anymore) & MMJ is less than that (neutral at best...I like some stuff, love nothing, wouldn't pay anything to see them, but might go for free if it was nearby)...
Hate to say it, but having Dylan headline for 90 min. is truly a waste when you are cutting Wilco & Richard Thompson's sets to make that happen...& I'd be just as glad to see no MMJ at all...

The way I see it I've seen Dylan way to many times already so unless I hear that Jeff has been sitting in on shows I'm using that 90 minutes to beat traffic.  The thing is outside of our world they are saying "sure maybe I'll go in and catch MMJ or Wilco, but odds are I'm hanging in the lot until Dylan comes on".

This concept is about two things from what I can tell: getting people exposed to the music & making money.

I was going to say the exact same thing. No artist in their right mind would turn down a chance to open for Bob Dylan on an extended tour like this.  Wilco is going to get paid a ton of dough, get tons of exposure, get the rock star treatment, sell tons of merch, etc. 

For old fans this probably doesn't pay.  But the tour will sell out and be great for Wilco.

LouieB

So this tour stops by my house the week after Solid Sound....will probably skip it, as crazy as it would be to see Wilco three times in one week.

Not that it means anything, but the wilcoworld site has them listed on all three days of SS, I don't remember that being the case last time I checked a week or so ago, I also don't remember that being the case in previous years, but I'm getting old and my memory isn't, what was I saying again, oh never mind.

i'm pretty sure we'll be getting:

90 min from Dylan and 60 min from Wilco + MMJ, the other opener 30-45 tops

That's funny... When/where did he say that?

Ha ha.  It's great to see Wilco sharing the same stage again with the band to whom Jeff not so affectionately referred as "My Boring Racket."

That's funny.

LouieB

That's funny... When/where did he say that?

i'm not sure it was ever confirmed he did... but it's been a running gag on the MMJ forum for years

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?topic=14944.20

Thanks for the info, Bosco (and sorry to have maligned your home town :) )

I'm leaning toward Mansfield, partly because I think there may be less likelihood of an early curfew. Could be wrong, though.

Pretty sure that Mansfield has 11:00 curfew.  Been to tons of shows there, that's my best memory. 

This is the 3rd Boston show I will be missing while on vacation (2 nights of Furthur as well).  Not that I'm complaining about being on vacation...

The way I see it I've seen Dylan way to many times already so unless I hear that Jeff has been sitting in on shows I'm using that 90 minutes to beat traffic. The thing is outside of our world they are saying "sure maybe I'll go in and catch MMJ or Wilco, but odds are I'm hanging in the lot until Dylan comes on".

Ha! That was my plan too.

I'd like to think Jeff didn't really say that about MMJ - it sounds really catty. I like them a lot.

Pretty sure that Mansfield has 11:00 curfew. Been to tons of shows there, that's my best memory.

This is the 3rd Boston show I will be missing while on vacation (2 nights of Furthur as well). Not that I'm complaining about being on vacation...

Damn. Oh well.

Here are the prices for Tampa:

US $25.00 - US $89.00

US $25.00 Ticket + US $7.00 Fees = US $32.00
US $89.00 Ticket + US $16.70 Fees = US $105.70

Big discrepancy in pricing. I'm thinking that means lawn seats are $32, all the real seats are $105. If I can score good seats in the presale, I may go, if not, no thanks. I'm not used to seeing Wilco from the 58th row.

Here are the prices for Tampa:

US $25.00 - US $89.00

US $25.00 Ticket + US $7.00 Fees = US $32.00

US $89.00 Ticket + US $16.70 Fees = US $105.70

Big discrepancy in pricing. I'm thinking that means lawn seats are $32, all the real seats are $105. If I can score good seats in the presale, I may go, if not, no thanks. I'm not used to seeing Wilco from the 58th row.

There might be some prices in between the two extremes. For the Stones, Ticketmaster/LiveNation listed the cheapest and most expensive tickets only until the on sale started.

The Toronto venue is one of my least favourite - yes, it's a nice location right down on the edge of the lake (part of Ontario Place which has other amusement type things on site), but it is outdoors and only the first few sections are covered (and yes, lawn seats are a good cheap alternative usually if the weather is good).  But I have never liked the sound quality there and ticket prices are never cheap.  I see that one of these 3rd party ticket pimping sites already has tickets for this listed for sale - how can that be legit if even the pre-sale hasn't happened yet?!  The official site doesn't have the show posted yet so I don't know what the real price range is.

Has this ever happened?  Just curious. I can't see Dylan doing this, but maybe things have changed.

LouieB

I see what you did there!

Only Merriweather fits into my (lame) schedule. Diane- can't wait to see ya at SS and then on your home turf!

Anyone up to speed with pre-sale pwords for the bands... can't find on Uncle Bob's page...

Hey Dave! Looking so forward to all the Wilco fun to come. I'm planning on Merriweather Post and Virginia Beach, so we definitely need to plan a get together--if we're not sick of all the togetherness after Solid Sound. Ha!

According to the email I got today from Wilco HQ, the presale password should be available tomorrow at 5:00 on wilcoworld.net. So far, though, it seems like everything is being released somewhat ahead of schedule, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something a little sooner than that.