Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket summer tour

What I'm hoping for instead is an afternoon/evening of good music, a chance to hear MMJ live for the first time, paying tribute to THE legendary songwriter of a generation, and of course my favorite band in the world. 

This is exactly where I am. I called up a concertgoing buddy of mine (took him to his first Wilco show, and now he's a fan), and he sounded like he was more excited than me about this lineup! :lol

So I guess I will be going, and hoping I can score decent seats for us. Might be tough with all the MMJ, Wilco and Dylan fans trying to score tickets at the same time.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SarahC - what's the deal with the ATL venue?

As far as amphitheaters go, the one they're playing in Atlanta is pretty average.  I've been to dozens of shows there over the years and I never thought the sound was any worse than any other venue that holds 15,000+.  Wilco's sound crew would be responsible for the sound, and they have a very good track record in all sorts of venues, so I wouldn't worry about the sound too much.

Sarah might be thinking about Chastain Park Amphitheater (Wilco played there on the Sky Blue Sky tour...I saw Sarah there), which is widely hated.

The amphitheater they're playing this summer is getting pretty dated, and there's no longer a shuttle from the transit station,  Other than that, it's on par with other outdoor venues of its size.

As far as amphitheaters go, the one they're playing in Atlanta is pretty average.  I've been to dozens of shows there over the years and I never thought the sound was any worse than any other venue that holds 15,000+.  Wilco's sound crew would be responsible for the sound, and they have a very good track record in all sorts of venues, so I wouldn't worry about the sound too much.

Sarah might be thinking about Chastain Park Amphitheater (Wilco played there on the Sky Blue Sky tour...I saw Sarah there), which is widely hated.

The amphitheater they're playing this summer is getting pretty dated, and there's no longer a shuttle from the transit station,  Other than that, it's on par with other outdoor venues of its size.

you're right! i was thinking of Chastain Park (though, I must say it is well named :lol Chastain is my Maiden name). 

Gah, that show, while awesome, left a lot to be desired of the crowd. 

Saw an interview recently where John said it was the wettest show Wilco's ever played. I'd have to agree.

Here are the prices for Tampa:

US $25.00 - US $89.00

US $25.00 Ticket + US $7.00 Fees = US $32.00
US $89.00 Ticket + US $16.70 Fees = US $105.70

Big discrepancy in pricing. I'm thinking that means lawn seats are $32, all the real seats are $105. If I can score good seats in the presale, I may go, if not, no thanks. I'm not used to seeing Wilco from the 58th row.

Tampa venue is at the Fairgrounds and is outside. At the end of June, Tampa is a pretty miserable place to be outside. I'd rather have my Wilco inside, so I'll wait a few years until they come back - hopefully to the Stratz Center.

Two questiions. . . .no, make that three:

1. Has anybody heard what pre-sale means in this instance? I know usually pre-sales sell out really quickly and we all go nuts thinking that's our last chance for tickets, or last chance for GOOD seats, and then it turns out there were only a few tickets released for the pre-sale, and they weren't even the best ones at the venue. So just wondering--has anyone heard what pre-sale means in this instance?
  2. Live Nation does not have info for the 7/23 show at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Usually MPP uses Ticketfly, but I don't see this event on their page, and their customer service dept. doesn't know anything about it.
  3. Any chance that Front Gate is handling any pre-sales?

This. Success is a bitch. See also Elvis, Michael Jackson, Prince, Hendrix, Morrison, etc. Hard to imagine being an introverted guy and people treating you like Jesus rock star. Even celebrities melt around Dylan, guy is intimidating.

Plus, I know if I had the ability to keep 99% of the world out of my space I would take that.

I almost understand that, but surely if the sight and smells of people offend him to that degree he should just stay home? Maybe travelling the world with a large crew of people isn't the best choice for him. I mean honestly, he hasn't put out anything decent in decades (at least in my opinion) and his voice is apparently shot. People are pretty much going to see him because of what he once was.

As to his Streisand diva bullshit, is it really necessary for him to treat the people he's on tour with like that? Are the guys in Wilco going to have to avoid his gaze? I would hope they wouldn't put up with that nonsense.

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant, but I LOVE Bob's old stuff, and I hate finding out people whose music I love are assholes (looking at you, Neil Young).

Great thread.

1. Most of us here have seen in Wilco in much more intimate venues than ballparks (some of seen that too including me), so we aren't running to see Wilco play 45 minutes or an hour somewhere where they are 4 inches tall again.  But if Jeff still reads this shit, congratulations on getting this gig and opening for Dylan. It is still an honor and some major cash I hope for your sake.

2. Why would Dylan not be a bit of a freak at this point.  There are any number of people who could do him in or at least think they need to get next to him for whatever reason.  He has every reason to be paranoid and a bit crazy.  Few artists of his statue tour as much as he does and even less have made the impact on popular music.  While he has turned out a bit like Howard Hughes while still putting himself out there every night, so be it. 

LouieB

Right on for both points here...

1) Yeah anything that gets Wilco exposed to more potential folks is alright by me & then some...and this tour is doing that for both Wilco & Richard Thompson, who I adore at about the same level of passion. I'd love to see the gang get some $ to up their instrument & equipment collections, and/or kids college funds/retirement cache...

2) Dylan has attracted some real challenging fans over the years (A.J. Weberman anyone? Or check out some of his early press conferences- think it's the one in S.F. where the guy asking him about the significance of the motorcycle on his t-shirt on the cover of "Highway 61 Revisited" is particularly chilling & creepy)- maybe he's just tired & doesn't want that being in the spotlight & feeling like he's public property. Artists owe us nothing- they choose to share their art, or performances, and after that their lives are their own & they should be as private as they can manage if that's what's comfortable for them...for others who want to interact more, all power to them in that direction...I absolutely understand where Dylan is coming there...

Finally I hope they have fun & there's a unique & special vibe to Dylan as an entity & energy period & I'm betting Jeff & Co. feel & respect that. It looks like this sort of Summer traveling caravan could just be a fun time period & really feeling that vibe is the bottom, I think, for performers & fans & I hope they have as great a time, as so many, myself included, have when seeing them.

And operationally I actually dig the instrument Dylan's voice has evolved into (a la Tom Waits, Louis Armstrong, etc.)- it's different, but he utilized what he's got now in a fascinating way & I dug the last album & am thrilled to see songs from it in the set list...it's just that he's still hit & miss as a live entity anymore...talked to a friend today & I might actually consider the Jones Beach show (the only one without My Morning Jacket- which hopefully might translate into more Wilco), but...I'm most likely to wait until near whatever show it is...listen to the reports about what's going on at the shows (set list, set length) & then check out what tickets are available & for how much & weigh the fun of the potential event with friends independent of the show vs. the length of the drive & how crappy, or not, the venue might be.

Two questions. . . .no, make that three:

1. Has anybody heard what pre-sale means in this instance? I know usually pre-sales sell out really quickly and we all go nuts thinking that's our last chance for tickets, or last chance for GOOD seats, and then it turns out there were only a few tickets released for the pre-sale, and they weren't even the best ones at the venue. So just wondering--has anyone heard what pre-sale means in this instance?
  2. Live Nation does not have info for the 7/23 show at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Usually MPP uses Ticketfly, but I don't see this event on their page, and their customer service dept. doesn't know anything about it.
  3. Any chance that Front Gate is handling any pre-sales?

I just love quoting myself, but I think I've figured out the answers to some of my questions. Not every date is going on the pre-sale tomorrow--just the earlier ones, and not even all of those. Go to http://www.bobdylan.com/us/upcoming-dates for the details. MPP and VA Beach pre-sales are not until 4/30. Which I'm kind of glad to hear, because by then maybe my other questions will have been answered as well.

Two questiions. . . .no, make that three:

• Has anybody heard what pre-sale means in this instance? I know usually pre-sales sell out really quickly and we all go nuts thinking that's our last chance for tickets, or last chance for GOOD seats, and then it turns out there were only a few tickets released for the pre-sale, and they weren't even the best ones at the venue. So just wondering--has anyone heard what pre-sale means in this instance?
  • Live Nation does not have info for the 7/23 show at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Usually MPP uses Ticketfly, but I don't see this event on their page, and their customer service dept. doesn't know anything about it.
  • Any chance that Front Gate is handling any pre-sales?

The presales for this tour for almost all of the shows are through Ticketmaster (I've also heard that MPP with be thru Ticketfly), it appears. MMJ are not using their fanclub company (the shitty groundcontrol) and I don't think Frontgate tickets is involved in the presales except maybe one or two venues (Hoboken?).

I personally don't get that excited about presales, its generally not been any easier for me to get good tickets through them than the general onsales. It surely varies from artist/venue/show/promoter about how many and what seats get released to all the different presales. If I can't get good seats in the presale, I just hold off until the general onsale and it usually works out fine for me.

2) Dylan has attracted some real challenging fans over the years (A.J. Weberman anyone? Or check out some of his early press conferences- think it's the one in S.F. where the guy asking him about the significance of the motorcycle on his t-shirt on the cover of "Highway 61 Revisited" is particularly chilling & creepy)- maybe he's just tired & doesn't want that being in the spotlight & feeling like he's public property. Artists owe us nothing- they choose to share their art, or performances, and after that their lives are their own & they should be as private as they can manage if that's what's comfortable for them...for others who want to interact more, all power to them in that direction...I absolutely understand where Dylan is coming from there.

I didn't say he owed anyone anything other than basic human decency. Avoiding his fans is one thing (I guess all that love & adoration could get old?), but treating the people he works/travels with with such arrogance is another. I don't care if you're a famous billionaire or a janitor, it's not hard to treat people decently. I've seen it done.

I didn't say he owed anyone anything other than basic human decency. Avoiding his fans is one thing (I guess all that love & adoration could get old?), but treating the people he works/travels with with such arrogance is another. I don't care if you're a famous billionaire or a janitor, it's not hard to treat people decently. I've seen it done.

Actually what I wrote wasn't in response to you...so I wasn't directing that bit about not owing anybody anything at you, or trying to say you insinuated that- which I don't think you did. I was almost done writing my post, when yours popped up...

And...I agree with you that the whole avoiding his gaze, & extremity of some of the stuff that's purported, if true, does seem a bit eccentric, unpalatable, & well, just extreme...that aside, I stand by the Spirit of the rest of what I said about anyone's right to avoid that weirdness of celebrity as much as they want to/can...

And...I agree with you that the whole avoiding his gaze, & extremity of some of the stuff that's purported, if true, does seem a bit eccentric, unpalatable, & well, just extreme...that aside, I stand by the Spirit of the rest of what I said about anyone's right to avoid that weirdness of celebrity as much as they want to/can...

Oh, I totally agree with you there. Everyone has a right to privacy, and I'm sure being so recognizable must be a drag sometimes.

Considering all that's being said about Dylan's lack of interaction with his fellow performers, I guess I should feel fortunate that I saw him several years ago in Detroit. For the final encore, he was joined by surprise guest Jack White. They did "Ball and Biscuit". Dylan started out the vocals but Jack took over while Dylan played keyboard. It was pretty cool.

I saw Dylan open for the dead a while back and he jumped up with the dead. Alabama getaway.

Seen him at least 10 times starting with first never ending band/with ge smith and almost ever your since. In a different venue almost every time. He will play just about any venue. Got to give home credit for that. Def been weaker lately. I think it was around when he stopped playing guitar and started with the cheap keyboard sound. Still the man for sure. When he has one hand waving free.

bob: never ending tour: i believe he sees himself as a troubadour, comfortable in his skin, performing his art, completely, blissfully, unconcerned with our opinions. I'm thankful he continues to create, redefine, and perform his art.

anyone thinking about the tour title: "Americanarama"?? this just may be an all- american string based celebration of the music that shapes our domestic musical bliss with its heartland roots fully in focus: Woody Guthrie should be heavy in Wilco's rotation; MMJ's version of "Going to Acaupaulco" (gorgeous) as well I hope!

the diva/ backstage brown M&M nonsense means nothing: it's the music that matters.

Screw the shed reviews- I am thankful and looking so forward to share a room with such talent on a sweet summer late afternoon/ evening. My only lament- i can only catch MPP.

And thats all I have to say about that.

He will play just about any venue.

In 97 or so I saw Dylan play the Dan and Ada Rice Center at Benedicitne Univ. in Lisle, IL - my high school gym was only a little bit smaller than it. The boosters were selling cups of orange punch on folding tables for refreshments for dollar. It was a very odd venue, but great show. Yeah - he plays anywhere that will take him.

ricecenter2.jpg

bob: never ending tour: i believe he sees himself as a troubadour, comfortable in his skin, performing his art, completely, blissfully, unconcerned with our opinions. I'm thankful he continues to create, redefine, and perform his art.

anyone thinking about the tour title: "Americanarama"?? this just may be an all- american string based celebration of the music that shapes our domestic musical bliss with its heartland roots fully in focus: Woody Guthrie should be heavy in Wilco's rotation; MMJ's version of "Going to Acaupaulco" (gorgeous) as well I hope!

the diva/ backstage brown M&M nonsense means nothing: it's the music that matters.

Screw the shed reviews- I am thankful and looking so forward to share a room with such talent on a sweet summer late afternoon/ evening. My only lament- i can only catch MPP.

And thats all I have to say about that.

Great post!

Right on for both points here...

1) Yeah anything that gets Wilco exposed to more potential folks is alright by me & then some...and this tour is doing that for both Wilco & Richard Thompson, who I adore at about the same level of passion. I'd love to see the gang get some $ to up their instrument & equipment collections, and/or kids college funds/retirement cache...

2) Dylan has attracted some real challenging fans over the years (A.J. Weberman anyone? Or check out some of his early press conferences- think it's the one in S.F. where the guy asking him about the significance of the motorcycle on his t-shirt on the cover of "Highway 61 Revisited" is particularly chilling & creepy)- maybe he's just tired & doesn't want that being in the spotlight & feeling like he's public property. Artists owe us nothing- they choose to share their art, or performances, and after that their lives are their own & they should be as private as they can manage if that's what's comfortable for them...for others who want to interact more, all power to them in that direction...I absolutely understand where Dylan is coming there...

Finally I hope they have fun & there's a unique & special vibe to Dylan as an entity & energy period & I'm betting Jeff & Co. feel & respect that. It looks like this sort of Summer traveling caravan could just be a fun time period & really feeling that vibe is the bottom, I think, for performers & fans & I hope they have as great a time, as so many, myself included, have when seeing them.

And operationally I actually dig the instrument Dylan's voice has evolved into (a la Tom Waits, Louis Armstrong, etc.)- it's different, but he utilized what he's got now in a fascinating way & I dug the last album & am thrilled to see songs from it in the set list...it's just that he's still hit & miss as a live entity anymore...talked to a friend today & I might actually consider the Jones Beach show (the only one without My Morning Jacket- which hopefully might translate into more Wilco), but...I'm most likely to wait until near whatever show it is...listen to the reports about what's going on at the shows (set list, set length) & then check out what tickets are available & for how much & weigh the fun of the potential event with friends independent of the show vs. the length of the drive & how crappy, or not, the venue might be.

I concur with this, and Lou's post.

the diva/ backstage brown M&M nonsense means nothing: it's the music that matters.

Yeah, but by most accounts his live performances are less than stellar at best, so where does that leave us? Paying for a name. No thanks, I'd rather just listen to the records.

Don't get me wrong - I understand why some people would want to catch this tour. It looks great on paper. I also hate the thought of missing Wilco, but I'll just have to enjoy Solid Sound even more to compensate. :)

Just to add my two cents and be that guy, but the brown M&m's had nothing to due with diva behavior. It was Van Halens way of checking to see if the venue read their rider. They had a big stage setup among other things And if something was overlooked in putting it together people could've gotten hurt or worse. So if they saw the brown m&m's (the clause of which was way down in the rider) they'd know to check everything else.