How did you come by your VC Handle?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the summer of '92 I was stuck attending summer school in Lawrence, Ks. when I heard that 2 of my favorite local bands were calling it quits. Tenderloin came as a fusion from The Sin City Disciples and The Homestead Greys. This band was like The Butthole Surfers, Merle Haggard, and Howlin' Wolf all rolled into one. While all the hairspray-hippies in town

were backing bands like Trip Shakespeare and The Uncle Tupeloes, I decided to hang my hat on Tenderloin. ...Then again, I was on acid for much of the early 90's.

An entertaining article of their history can be found here if anyone remembers these guys and is feeling nostalgic. I believe you can still pick up their albums on Amazon for like 64 cents. Well worth it.

It's my name. Having no cloak of anonymity helps me self-censor... while I often think many sarcastic and assholic comments, I rarely go ahead and post them. My avatar, though, is not me.

Muncle, nice story. Sometimes my brother-in-law still calls me "Queet," in reference to how, 10 years ago, I once conflated cool and sweet. (I started off saying one of them and, apparently, changed my mind midstream.) We bicker about the proper spelling; he insists it must be "cweet, while I argue that the aesthetic value of the "q" trumps all.

Did I just make up the word assholic? If so, queet.

When I joined the White Stripes forum (the Little Room) in 2003, I wanted to use something from one of their songs. "Elixir Sue" comes from the song Party of Special Things To Do, which the White Stripes covered but was written by Captain Beefheart. I've been using that name online for various things since then.

When the stiff wind blows

the flag don't wiggle

in the party of special things to do

I met the ace of love

she took me to her plantation

for the love without separation

in the party of special things to do

it could happen to me

it could happen to you

I met the ace of love

she said I want you to go

to the party of special things to do

and when you're through

I'll be right here waiting for you

here take these sparks

so my distant cousins can get along with you

watch out for the mirror man

and Elixir Sue

when I got to the party of special things to do

it wasn't hard to find Elixir Sue

I met all the cards

the wild cards

the one-eye jill

the red queen

she turned her head

you know what I mean

she turned it back and said

"I got a brand new game I want to lay on you"

I met them all

at the party of special things to do

when I was done

I was far from through

I returned to the ace of love

now wouldn't you?

I met them all

the camel wore a nightie

the camel wore a nightie

...elixir sue

it wasn't hard to find liquor at the do

I met all the cards

the wild cards

you know what I mean

then she turned it back and said

"I got a brand new game I think I want to lay on you"

I met elixir sue

It's so special.

I was on an Irish traditional music message board, and much like the geeky kids in high school who like to tell each other that they're really so much cooler than all those bubble-headed cheerleaders and jocks, Irish traditional musicians like to think that they're so superior to those flashy hot-shot Irish dancers. Since I was dancing at the time (although I'm not at all in the flashy hot-shot category), I went with the name "gogo" (as in... yeah, anyway...) just to be snarky.

And then since my real-life (non-internet) "real" name already doesn't match up with my real-life on-all-the-legal-documents name, I figured I'd better not start up a whole new identity when I joined here, or else I'd never be able to keep track.

When I joined the board, I only had 2 kids. Their names are Austin and Ryan.

AUSTin

RYAn

Clever, eh?

VERY :thumbup

As for me, I guess there's no explanation necessary :D Tho, I will tell you it does scare the hell out of my best friend, for real!!! She thinks that Jeff is my God. I always tell her she's nuts :D

But we don't have to let her know she is onto something, right?!?

In the summer of '92 I was stuck attending summer school in Lawrence, Ks. when I heard that 2 of my favorite local bands were calling it quits. Tenderloin came as a fusion from The Sin City Disciples and The Homestead Greys. This band was like The Butthole Surfers, Merle Haggard, and Howlin' Wolf all rolled into one. While all the hairspray-hippies in town

were backing bands like Trip Shakespeare and The Uncle Tupeloes, I decided to hang my hat on Tenderloin. ...Then again, I was on acid for much of the early 90's.

An entertaining article of their history can be found here if anyone remembers these guys and is feeling nostalgic. I believe you can still pick up their albums on Amazon for like 64 cents. Well worth it.

ERNIE LOCKE!!!!!!!!! :wub

Very cool, btw. Now I'll always think of that when I see you post.

One day back when I was a lurker I noticed a clock showing the time as 2:45 reflecting off a cd that was sitting on my desk. No joke. Come on, quarter to 3:00...reflecting off a cd? How could I not use that one as my name on a Wilco board?

I was at summerlong camp and there were several people with similar names (Jonathan, John, etc.) so we all agreed early on to come up with appropriate nicknames.

A couple of days later I was talking with a group of guys about television programs we watched as kids. I flippantly mentioned C.H.i.P.S being one of my favorite shows growing up. One guy immediately designated Ponch as my nickname. When I asked why that had to be my nickname, he responded, "Because C.H.i.P.S took place in Southern Cal. and you go to school in So. Cal. and Ponch was Hispanic and you're Asian and that's about as close as we're going to get." I'm not even sure Ponch on C.H.i.P.S was Hispanic or not, but it took only two hours before everyone called me Ponch.

An interesting sidenote is that I met my future wife that summer and she first met me as Ponch, so anyone I meet through her (her side of the family, co-workers, friends) calls me Ponch while my family, friends, and colleagues call me by my real name (Jonathan).

There is nothing more perplexing to people than meeting a Korean named Ponch.

There is nothing more perplexing to people than meeting a Korean named Ponch.

That must be the post of the day.

Erik Estrada, the son of Renildo and Carmen Estrada, (born March 16, 1949 in East Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States) is an American actor of Puerto Rican descent, known for his co-starring lead role in the 1977
One day back when I was a lurker I noticed a clock showing the time as 2:45 reflecting off a cd that was sitting on my desk. No joke. Come on, quarter to 3:00...reflecting off a cd? How could I not use that one as my name on a Wilco board?

And yet, up to now, I had read your name as "quarter23rd"

It's my name. Having no cloak of anonymity helps me self-censor... while I often think many sarcastic and assholic comments, I rarely go ahead and post them. My avatar, though, is not me.

This is essentially what I did as well (mine is my first initial m for Michael, last name Polak, and I was born on the 21st) and for similar reasons. On previous boards I posted on I could be essentially an immature punk or assholic at times, and I wasn't interested in doing that here and using my actual name helps keep me honest. And of course, Analogman was already taken.

--Mike

This is essentially what I did as well (mine is my first initial m for Michael, last name Polak, and I was born on the 21st) and for similar reasons. On previous boards I posted on I could be essentially an immature punk or assholic at times, and I wasn't interested in doing that here and using my actual name helps keep me honest. And of course, Analogman was already taken.

--Mike

Holler Boyz, represent!