My Morning Jacket...

If you like that, and you want the hair on your head to stand up, check out MMJ doing Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You from the I'm Not There concert in NYC on 11/7/07. They also did Going to Acapulco. But the former blew the roof off the place. One of the greatest moments in my vast concert going experience.

You can find it streaming at wolfgang's vault if you'd like. At about 2:50 or so (and 4:00 or so) in the song, the roof blew off the building and flew away. Both times. Not sure it comes across as well on the recording. But I remember it happening.

(Check out Masters of War by The Roots too for the last song of the show before the encore -- talk about roofs, jeez)

The rest of the show kind of sucked.

EDIT: http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/im-n...76-3737179.html

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

My parents were converted by the most recent Austin City Limits performance. They called me up all excited - "When can we go see that My Overcoat band you like??"

I thought the Yo La Tengo performances on that I'm Not There concert were pretty good. An ohhhh, man, I LOVE how The Roots completely reinvent Masters of War. It's such an awesome thing to witness.

Funny you should ask, I am going to the Saturday show, 12/27. I scored awesome seats from a friend who couldn't go. Just a few rows behind the pit. :stunned

nice! that should take some of the sting out of missing nye!

Saw them do "Gideon" on Letterman and ran out and bought "Z" the next day.

I got confused and watched "Across the Universe" because I heard Jim James was in it and I was so confused when it ended and I did not remember seeing him. Then I realized it was "I'm not there" I was thinking about.

I'm not a bright man in general.

I was buying some Neil Young cds (On the Beach and Tonight's the Night) at FOREVER YOUNG RECORDS in Arlington Texas. The music guru checking me out recommended them to me.

At best, they have a tenuous connection, but I'll be damned if he wasn't spot on.

AWESOME record store, though I think it's Grand Prairie.

I first saw MMJ at SXSW right after At Dawn came out. They played a set at a Yard Dog Gallery day party and absolutely destroyed. Tons of reverb, Jim James singing behind a stuffed buffalo head, Johnny Quaid playing solos on his back in a pile of hay...by the time they closed with "One Big Holiday" I was a convert. I also watched them blow Guided by Voices and Ben Kweller off the stage as an opener later that year.

Evil Urges is easily their worst record in my opinion, but I'd still go see them in a heartbeat.

bumping for jules' tix offer and wondering who out there is hitting this show?

maybe i should start a diff. thread... :lol

still have tickets for NYE at MSG if anyone is interested. Willing to cut a nice deal.

Got into them when they were playing with the Boston Pops in 2006. Didn't go to the show, but they had picked The Slip (one of my favorite bands ever) as an opener, so I figured a band with such refined taste must be awesome themselves. In retrospect, I should've went to the show.

Nowadays they're not quite my favorite band, but damn close. Have to say I love Tennessee Fire and Evil Urges equally (but I love It Still Moves more than all of them).

Good chance to plug Oxfod American. Amazing magazine, that I believe is a quarterly now. Anyway, the Southern Music edition is always great (out on stands now, picture of the Killer on the cover, 10th anniversary edition and comes with two great CD's) and is how I found out about MMJ. This had to be 2000, and could have been before. Been enjoying their stuff ever since!

Good chance to plug Oxfod American. Amazing magazine, that I believe is a quarterly now. Anyway, the Southern Music edition is always great (out on stands now, picture of the Killer on the cover, 10th anniversary edition and comes with two great CD's) and is how I found out about MMJ. This had to be 2000, and could have been before. Been enjoying their stuff ever since!

This is a great mag.

Agreed Sooie! Of course, I misspell the title if a magazine about great southern writing. Ouch!

and by nice deal do you mean airfare & dog sitting included????? cause then i'm totally in!!!

No, but I'd probably give the tickets away at this point. I'd hate to see them go to waste.

Hey MMJ fans. I posted this on the MMJ board, but I wanted to try here too...

I have 2 tickets for the New Year's Eve show at MSG. I can't go any more, so I am hoping to find a buyer.

Sect 204

Row B

Seats 7-8

Face value $120 for the pair (incl. fees) - I can email you the tickets. Price is negotiable.

Let me know.

-Jules

I saw Jim James sing "Golden" on Austin City Limits (TV) with Conor Oberst and M Ward. Ran out and bought It Still Moves that week. Thought it was okay for a couple of months and then it hit me and I was smitten. Saw them live for the first time in Nov. 2005 at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis and they've been my favorite band ever since. I've seen them two more times and have tickets to both Chicago shows in October.

Any idea where I can see this?

Wow, it's late and I'm bored. I totally missed this thread this past summer when it started.

Now it's time for some brutal honesty. I got into MMJ around At Dawn because I went to college in KY and heard a lot about them then. I didn't buy any of their music until It Still Moves. But the new stuff is just crap in comparison to the old stuff. Z blew a monkey's butt and Evil Urges is craptastic. I can't even get past that really annoying third track. I have lost so much faith in MMJ. At Dawn is still one of my favorite records. I have yet to see them in concert and would love to but I don't suspect that I'll be purchasing anymore of their albums.

Any idea where I can see this?

It's out there - go to a torrent site like Isohunt and search for Austin City Limits + Wilco. The file I have is called Austin City Limits_2005-01-08_Wilco followed by Bright Eyes.avi Oberst does some solo stuff and then is joined onstage by James and Ward. It was a pretty decent show.

Wow, it's late and I'm bored. I totally missed this thread this past summer when it started.

Now it's time for some brutal honesty. I got into MMJ around At Dawn because I went to college in KY and heard a lot about them then. I didn't buy any of their music until It Still Moves. But the new stuff is just crap in comparison to the old stuff. Z blew a monkey's butt and Evil Urges is craptastic. I can't even get past that really annoying third track. I have lost so much faith in MMJ. At Dawn is still one of my favorite records. I have yet to see them in concert and would love to but I don't suspect that I'll be purchasing anymore of their albums.

while i won't defend Evil Urges, i will say, start at track 4... from that point on the album has a ton of great songs for me. why they opened with those 3 songs is beyond me.

then again, besides one track i loved Z (still my 3rd fave MMJ after At Dawn (way way above everything else) and It Still Moves)

that said... i think it's obvious now more than ever that it needs to be pointed out that this is NOT the same band who recorded At Dawn... only 2 members exist from that record now (Jim & Tommy). while they're still an AMAZING live band, i still prefer the Johnny Quaid & Danny Cash era live.