My Morning Jacket...

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

New song is great. I think the band boldly took some risks on their last record. It didn't pay off for everyone (like me). Two songs in to the new record it seems like they have gained a ton of perspective from doing exactly what they want. This time it works more for me, and nothing I've heard off the new record sounds at all like Highly Suspicious which is certainly ok with me.

Sonicshoulder, that is a really good point.

not a big fan of 'Holdin' On To Black Metal', but i wouldn't say i hate it either :/

Jim has a pretty good falsetto at times, but this is not a very good example of it. it sounds like he took a hit of helium before the take :lol. i don't mind the horns or overall riff/melody (that Jim lifted (with credit) from an old Thai soul compilation), but i definitely don't care for the kids choir, doesn't fit imo.

I'm confused by the comparison to "Highly Suspiscous." That was a goofy song, but the new one is a total old-school soul tune. Its new and interesting.

I wouldn't say it's as goofy as Highly Suspicious but to me it falls into the same category.. "Holdin' on to Black Metal" sang by a children's choir?

I don't absolutely hate the tune though and it sounds much better on a good stereo (first listen was over crappy earphones at work).

So is it the lyrics in Holdin' On that people aren't digging? Musically I think it's a pretty neat soul throwback. Would've thought that'd go over real well here.

for me it's the kid's choir that annoys me most... it just doesn't fit/work for me. and i don't think Jim's strained falsetto sounds all that great in this instance either.

I wouldn't say it's as goofy as Highly Suspicious but to me it falls into the same category.. "Holdin' on to Black Metal" sang by a children's choir?

I don't absolutely hate the tune though and it sounds much better on a good stereo (first listen was over crappy earphones at work).

Highly Suspicious is a highlight of a Jacket live show. Its far from goofy when those guys are on stage killin it. I've actually always thought the tune was rather spooky myself. Just wondering if anybody who considers it goofy has seen it performed live?

So is it the lyrics in Holdin' On that people aren't digging? Musically I think it's a pretty neat soul throwback. Would've thought that'd go over real well here.

it's actually kind of a cover a thai pop song. the band acknowledges it so it isn't plagiarism or anything, but here is the original

Highly Suspicious is a highlight of a Jacket live show. Its far from goofy when those guys are on stage killin it. I've actually always thought the tune was rather spooky myself. Just wondering if anybody who considers it goofy has seen it performed live?

yep and yep :/

it reminds me of Ween

So, just curious, do you ever enjoy non-serious (or what some might call "goofy"?) music?

wilco has a bunch of tunes like that

i'm a wheel

just a kid

Wilco the song (to a certain extent)

kicking television

pecan pie

kingpin

Yup. All pretty good songs too.

My favorite band is called Super Furry Animals, so I obviously like my musicians to have a sense of humor. Goofy is a terrible way to describe injecting a bit of humor in music, but nothing needs to be serious all the time.

absolutely, i love bands that can write great poetic lyrics, but at the same time, don't take themselves too seriously and can be funny at times.

and when they can do both in the same song, it's really impressive. case in point, built to spill's distopian dream girl.

My stepfather looks

Just like David Bowie

but he hates David Bowie

I think Bowie's cool

I think Lodger rules

and my stepdad's a fool

then in the same song, this line really gets me

If it came down

to your life or mine

I would do the stupid thing

and let you

keep on living

So, just curious, do you ever enjoy non-serious (or what some might call "goofy"?) music?

sometimes... if it's a truly great song.

but there's a fine line between fun/goofy and stupid/lame imo (that Built To Spill song is clever imo (see also: You Were Right). Highly Suspicious is just too campy for me to find funny/goofy unfortunately :/. But the worst part about that song isn't the lyrics, it's Jim's vocals.

wilco has a bunch of tunes like that

i'm a wheel

just a kid

Wilco the song (to a certain extent)

kicking television

pecan pie

kingpin

of these, the only songs i really like much are Pecan Pie & Kingpin, never really cared for I'm A Wheel or Kicking TV. I can take or leave WTS

sometimes... if it's a truly great song.

but there's a fine line between fun/goofy and stupid/lame imo (that Built To Spill song is clever imo (see also: You Were Right). Highly Suspicious is just too campy for me to find funny/goofy unfortunately :/. But the worst part about that song isn't the lyrics, it's Jim's vocals.

Yes this ^ would pretty much be my response to the question as well.

I like Ween... I like them because they are supposed to be goofy, fun, and not to be taken seriously (although admired for their incredible talent/musicianship). But when I think of MMJ I don't think of this.. Highly Suspicious to me is just random as hell...

Yes this ^ would pretty much be my response to the question as well.

I like Ween... I like them because they are supposed to be goofy, fun, and not to be taken seriously (although admired for their incredible talent/musicianship). But when I think of MMJ I don't think of this.. Highly Suspicious to me is just random as hell...

exactly... i dig Ween a bunch too.

i've learned over the last few years that Jim is just a really weird dude with a sense of humor that doesn't exactly jive with what I find humorous or amusing and i'm fine with that.

exactly... i dig Ween a bunch too.

i've learned over the last few years that Jim is just a really weird dude with a sense of humor that doesn't exactly jive with what I find humorous or amusing and i'm fine with that.

So did your live experiences with Highly Suspicous lean more towards goofy or bad ass. In between is not an acceptable answer.

i've tried to like these guys. granted, i've never seen them live, which i hear is a must. there are tracks that catch my attention, like evelyn's not real off tennesee fire (is that right?), el caporal off of dark was the night, and same in any language from the elizabethtown soundtrack (as "ruckus" the band in the movie).

was it this thread where i was reading that one person's stumbling block is the production of the albums being "off?" that sorta grabbed my attention too, like, i think, i'm not quite sure why some of these albums sound the way they do, but then really come alive live. i would think the band would want to try to capture that on the album to attract more fans?

any help from an mmj fan?