My Morning Jacket...

Hmmm...it is a part of their identity.

I look at it this way: MMJ is a really cool hippy band that is a killer live act. The very fact that they are enjoying the succes they have is really encouraging to me. If this new release makes them break larger...great. But they are already bigger than I ever thought they wuld be.

right... i'm fine with them being bigger/huge, but it just bums me out that their studio efforts have fallen off quite a bit since i first heard them in '02 is all ohwell.gif

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

right... i'm fine with them being bigger/huge, but it just bums me out that their studio efforts have fallen off quite a bit since i first heard them in '02 is all ohwell.gif

You'll forgive me if I don't fully engage in any handwringing until I hear it. I trust your judgement and all, but I have to HEAR it.

I listened to it once a week or so ago and haven't listened again since.. So that pretty much tells ya how much of an impact it had on me... Although I'm sure I'll get around to listening to it again eventually, first listen I wasn't that impressed..

Z. Perfect.

Yes. There's Z., and then everything else.. No other MMJ album comes close..

Gotta say I like this one much better than Evil Urges on the whole on first listen. There is nothing as good as "Smokin From Shootin", but not nearly as cheesy either. I am hearing a lot of The Who on this record, especially in "Outta My System". Not sure if it's a specific song it reminds me of or just in general.

I agree with most of you here. This album is kind of falling in the "nothing special" category for me.

Evil Urges wasn't great, but it had "Smokin From Shootin" on it which is one of my favorite MMJ songs ever. This one is consistent, but consistently mediocre.

I'm thinking "Victory Dance", "Circuital," "Outta My System," and "Holdin On To Black Metal" are the only songs that'll make the cut on the iPod. Maybe I'll change my mind after seeing them at Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza...

Just gave the first listen, and I'm pretty indifferent. Granted -- I listened at moderate volume on crummy computer speakers, so I'm planning to give it a shot through headphones and a CD in the car. Maybe my opinions will change with repeated listens...it's happened before.

Just listened from NPR.

I liked it! Nothing like Evil Urges, although I liked that one too. To me, just another solid record from a very good band! Nice flow from one song to the next, never felt the urge to skip ahead.

Haven't listened to the new one yet, but I have been listening to the rest of their albums.

The Tennessee Fire is good, but a little long.

At Dawn is a classic. No question about it.

I almost couldn't get through It Still Moves. In my opinion, that album just doesn't hold up. Boring as hell.

Z is a classic, too.

I still like Evil Urges. It almost feels like a self-contained trilogy, and I like all the different directions.

Epic Webcast last night....3+ hours....synced in perfect with the Heat game.

Erica Badu killed 3 songs and JJ was on fire....best live band out there today ar at least = to Drive By Truckers and Wilco.

It was something all right! Can't wait to see them again soon. I love the extended "Off The Record" how it ends so trippy, as on the Okonokos DVD.

I hope Wilco can do one of those American Express "Unstaged" live shows someday, like the ones Arcade Fire and now MMJ have done. Tony, get the band signed up! Although when the credits ran at the end, I was really surprised how many people it took to make it happen.

Here's Wordless Chorus with Erykah Badu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWBOdK7h1w

I swear I'm the most conflicted MMJ fan (maybe that means I'm not a real fan). I just can'y put my finger on how I feel about them. Great live show, and It Still Moves is a statement. However a lot of their recorded output sounds like amateur hour in terms of sound/production. Almost like they believe their press, like they are no where as good as their reputation. However I thought Evil Urges was real solid and the die hards hated it. And they are a tad too silly at times for my taste. Who knows? I just think I would struggle to defend them to a neasayer.

I swear I'm the most conflicted MMJ fan (maybe that means I'm not a real fan). I just can'y put my finger on how I feel about them. Great live show, and It Still Moves is a statement. However a lot of their recorded output sounds like amateur hour in terms of sound/production. Almost like they believe their press, like they are no where as good as their reputation. However I thought Evil Urges was real solid and the die hards hated it. And they are a tad too silly at times for my taste. Who knows? I just think I would struggle to defend them to a neasayer.

too many times bands go into studios and their output almost sounds like a tin can. everything is so clean and crisp that it doesn't sound natural at all. that's why i love MMJ, their records are raw and a lot more real sounding than most bands. Their live shows live up to their albums without any issue, which is more than a lot of bands who overdub the hell out of stuff in the studio can say

It was something all right! Can't wait to see them again soon. I love the extended "Off The Record" how it ends so trippy, as on the Okonokos DVD.

I hope Wilco can do one of those American Express "Unstaged" live shows someday, like the ones Arcade Fire and now MMJ have done. Tony, get the band signed up! Although when the credits ran at the end, I was really surprised how many people it took to make it happen.

Here's Wordless Chorus with Erykah Badu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWBOdK7h1w

I love that 'wordless chorus'. But then I love Badu. Badu and Jim James is a combination made in heaven. Just from watching the clips this seems to have been a great, great show. Loving those suits too, and Patricks headgear!!

So I've finally listened to this. Really quite good. Haters be damned.

Same here. I couldn't name one song that I disliked. It may not be their best, but it is miles ahead of the last one.

But maybe my perception is colored by the fact that I ordered tickets for MMJ and Neko this morning. :dancing

Which reminds me, I was listening to Wonderful and couldn't figure out why it sounded familiar. I checked the setlist from the show I saw last summer and there it was. I thinks that's a sign of a great song - almost a year later and I remembered the song after having heard it only once.

I think I wish Circuital ended on Slow Slow Tune. Movin' Away is nice, but get rid of it and you have a 40 minute album with all really good to great tracks. But I don't dislike it either, so it's cool.

I was already familiar with Wonderful (saw Jim play it solo and with MMJ last year), Black Metal and the title track, but besides those I think Victory Dance is my favorite song on here.

Far too early to rank it among 2011 albums (although it stands a good chance at top 5) or MMJ albums, but I dig it.

I don't think I've heard more than 15 2011 albums yet, so grain of salt, etc.

for comparison sake... my list is currently 30 albums and Radiohead's is at the bottom of that list ;)