My Morning Jacket...

So did your live experiences with Highly Suspicous lean more towards goofy or bad ass. In between is not an acceptable answer.

musically? the breakdown is pretty badass, sure. the rest of the song however didn't do much for me live at all cheers.gif

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

musically? the breakdown is pretty badass, sure. the rest of the song however didn't do much for me live at all cheers.gif

Just how many more posts are left in the great "Highly Suspicious" debate? Has any other non-Wilco song ever been discussed this much?

was it this thread where i was reading that one person's stumbling block is the production of the albums being "off?" that sorta grabbed my attention too, like, i think, i'm not quite sure why some of these albums sound the way they do, but then really come alive live. i would think the band would want to try to capture that on the album to attract more fans?

any help from an mmj fan?

Many bands are pretty different recorded compared to live. A lot of the earlier MMJ recordings seemed interested in creating this echoing, warm, sonic canyon for the songs to fall in. They sound cool and beautiful. You hear them live and much of that falls away. Then you realize there is some ballsy guitar chord, wind-milling happening in there. I think that's a pretty cool dichotomy to experience as someone who enjoys each of those. I think at various points bands like Dr. Dog and even Wilco have shown different formats, and sounds that are tailored to different contexts in much the same way.

When there's difference it is natural for someone to like one side more than another. A record is not a show. Some try to be, and even fewer even get close, but they are never the same.

Drive a car down a state highway in the middle of the night listening to "It Still Moves". If you still don't enjoy it, invest your time in another band. That's just my advice.

Many bands are pretty different recorded compared to live. A lot of the earlier MMJ recordings seemed interested in creating this echoing, warm, sonic canyon for the songs to fall in. They sound cool and beautiful. You hear them live and much of that falls away. Then you realize there is some ballsy guitar chord, wind-milling happening in there. I think that's a pretty cool dichotomy to experience as someone who enjoys each of those. I think at various points bands like Dr. Dog and even Wilco have shown different formats, and sounds that are tailored to different contexts in much the same way.

When there's difference it is natural for someone to like one side more than another. A record is not a show. Some try to be, and even fewer even get close, but they are never the same.

Drive a car down a state highway in the middle of the night listening to "It Still Moves". If you still don't enjoy it, invest your time in another band. That's just my advice.

good advice. thanks.

and, i'm definitely familiar with differences between recordings and live shows. i'm sure there are other bands that are similar, but the mmj recordings i've listened to, i guess more so the earlier stuff, sound really murky which would be very different from the way it sounds live.

another format that may lend itself to the enjoyment of mmj recordings may be vinyl? for instance, a friend gave me the fleet foxes debut a couple years ago. he was blown away by it, and we have similar, although not exact, musical taste. he, for example, really likes mmj. well, i gave it a few spins via my ipod in my car on my long commute, and it just didn't grab me. i lost interest and moved on (much like you suggested "invest your time in another band"). well, in the run-up to their [fleet foxes} new release this next week, i bought their vinyl of their debut. my thinking was similar to my thinking towards mmj: "damn, this band gets some serious praise...i've gotta give them a chance." all of the sudden, it grabbed me; it came alive. that recording, my friend, is a "show." while it sounded flat via digital, analog just brought it out. i now can't stop listening to it, but can't seem to bring myself to do listen on my ipod.

all that to say...i may need to check mmj out on vinyl. the reverb and murkiness on the early stuff would prob really be brought out in the analog format.

good advice. thanks.

and, i'm definitely familiar with differences between recordings and live shows. i'm sure there are other bands that are similar, but the mmj recordings i've listened to, i guess more so the earlier stuff, sound really murky which would be very different from the way it sounds live.

another format that may lend itself to the enjoyment of mmj recordings may be vinyl? for instance, a friend gave me the fleet foxes debut a couple years ago. he was blown away by it, and we have similar, although not exact, musical taste. he, for example, really likes mmj. well, i gave it a few spins via my ipod in my car on my long commute, and it just didn't grab me. i lost interest and moved on (much like you suggested "invest your time in another band"). well, in the run-up to their [fleet foxes} new release this next week, i bought their vinyl of their debut. my thinking was similar to my thinking towards mmj: "damn, this band gets some serious praise...i've gotta give them a chance." all of the sudden, it grabbed me; it came alive. that recording, my friend, is a "show." while it sounded flat via digital, analog just brought it out. i now can't stop listening to it, but can't seem to bring myself to do listen on my ipod.

all that to say...i may need to check mmj out on vinyl. the reverb and murkiness on the early stuff would prob really be brought out in the analog format.

well, this makes me tense. is vinyl and hype or is it really better? never been a fan of Fleet Foxes, but i procured a rip of their first album on vinyl and damn if it doesn't sound so warm and open. compared the digital it's so much more listenable and inviting. this makes me crazy b/c now i think i'm missing out on all these bands that i might be able to get into if i got the vinyl (and the player etc.)

fwiw-i love the production on the early MMJ albums.

is vinyl and hype or is it really better? never been a fan of Fleet Foxes, but i procured a rip of their first album on vinyl and damn if it doesn't sound so warm and open. compared the digital it's so much more listenable and inviting. this makes me crazy b/c now i think i'm missing out on all these bands that i might be able to get into if i got the vinyl (and the player etc.).

i definitely think it is more than just hype, but what i'm not sure about is its [vinyl] effect on everyone. if you prefer digital, have no issue with the sound, etc., i wouldn't say that's a bad thing. i guess what i'm trying to say is that it's subjective: subject to preference. in my opinion, as you've stated, i find vinyl more warm and inviting. there are things i hear on vinyl that will not necessarily rise to the surface via digital. where digital trumps vinyl is convenience, like listening on the go, but where vinyl trumps digital is the whole process of listening and devoting yourself to being in the presence of the music. both have their places, for sure, and i appreciate the opportunity of having both, each for their own context. i will admit, however, that while listening to digital media (cd/ipod), i find myself wanting to listen to analog instead, whereas while listening to analog, i never want to listen to digital.

i could be crazy, but that's how i feel about it.

i definitely think it is more than just hype, but what i'm not sure about is its [vinyl] effect on everyone. if you prefer digital, have no issue with the sound, etc., i wouldn't say that's a bad thing. i guess what i'm trying to say is that it's subjective: subject to preference. in my opinion, as you've stated, i find vinyl more warm and inviting. there are things i hear on vinyl that will not necessarily rise to the surface via digital. where digital trumps vinyl is convenience, like listening on the go, but where vinyl trumps digital is the whole process of listening and devoting yourself to being in the presence of the music. both have their places, for sure, and i appreciate the opportunity of having both, each for their own context. i will admit, however, that while listening to digital media (cd/ipod), i find myself wanting to listen to analog instead, whereas while listening to analog, i never want to listen to digital.

i could be crazy, but that's how i feel about it.

good points. i've always been of the mind that if i really love the music, it will hit me in any format....even a shitty cassette. i just don't think i can justify spending money on vinyl in hopes of 'getting into' some new music. i'm surely not a downloads guy though. i prefer to listen to albums on CD. ipods and all that blow, but they are convenient.

btw, i compared vinyl to CD of Wilco the album cause i read that they were mixed differently. well, i thin they sound basically the same and the CD actually sounds better to my ears. so who knows?

c

so, i like the album (prolly would give it a solid 7/10)... and probably better than Evil Urges overall, but def would put it 4th or 5th in their catalog.

really love tracks 1, 3, 7 and 8. kind of a bummer that it ends on 2 downers (esp. Slow Slow Tune, not a big fan of how Jim sings on that one).

would have liked at least one rocker though

so, i like the album (prolly would give it a solid 7/10)... and probably better than Evil Urges overall, but def would put it 4th or 5th in their catalog.

really love tracks 1, 3, 7 and 8. kind of a bummer that it ends on 2 downers (esp. Slow Slow Tune, not a big fan of how Jim sings on that one).

would have liked at least one rocker though

No rockers??!! So is the title track the biggest rocker on the album? Is the slow stuff schmaltzy like on Evil Urges ("Thank You Too", "Sec Walkin" etc.)? Sounds like I'm going to be very disappointed once again. :no

No rockers??!! So is the title track the biggest rocker on the album? Is the slow stuff schmaltzy like on Evil Urges ("Thank You Too", "Sec Walkin" etc.)? Sounds like I'm going to be very disappointed once again. :no

there's no real rocker like Aluminum Park or Remnants, no, just a bunch of slow builders, but overall the album is very much midtempo.

and 'Slow Slow Tune' is definitely very schmaltzy, but Wonderful is very nice.

Is there a leak out there that doesn't cut off midway through track 8?

i don't think so, i think they all cut off there.

I really like it as of right now. The last song, "Movin Away" is just fantastic. I don't mind that it's a slower album, nothing wrong with that, they have a lot of rockers in their catalog, so I'm cool with some slower tempo tunes. and they aren't as hokey sounding as Evil Urges in my opinion, they feel more organic

i don't think so, i think they all cut off there.

I really like it as of right now. The last song, "Movin Away" is just fantastic. I don't mind that it's a slower album, nothing wrong with that, they have a lot of rockers in their catalog, so I'm cool with some slower tempo tunes. and they aren't as hokey sounding as Evil Urges in my opinion, they feel more organic

Hokey...good word to describe that album. yim yames seems to be like dylan. he puts out 3 masterpieces and then when he's king of the world, he starts joking around.

Hokey...good word to describe that album. yim yames seems to be like dylan. he puts out 3 masterpieces and then when he's king of the world, he starts joking around.

i liked evil urges, it's just that songs like sec walking and two halves sounded too cute, if that makes sense haha.

circuital though approaches that on a few songs, but doesn't take it to the same level.

My favorite tracks off circuital are

Victory Dance

Circuital

The Day is Coming- approaches Evil Urges, but I still like it, the melody is catchy!

Wonderful

First Light

Movin Away - absolutely love this one

now we're talkin! :dancing

08/02/2011 St. Louis, MO The Pageant US / Roll Call on sale: 5/31 . General on sale: 6/3 5pm local time

08/03/2011 Kansas City, MO Uptown Theater US / Roll Call on sale: 5/31 . General on sale: 6/3

08/04/2011 Denver, CO Red Rocks Amphitheatre US

08/05/2011 - 08/07/2011 Chicago, IL Lollapalooza US

08/05/2011 - 08/13/2011 Bangor, ME Kahbang Festival US

following shows with Neko Case: :thumbup

08/07/2011 Indianapolis, IN Lawn at White River US / Roll Call on sale: 5/18 . General on sale: 5/21

08/08/2011 Columbus, OH LC Pavilion US / Roll Call on sale: 5/31 . General on sale: 6/3

08/10/2011 Pittsburgh, PA Stage AE US / Roll Call on sale: 5/31 . General on sale: 6/3

08/12/2011 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion US / Roll Call on sale: 5/31 . General on sale: 6/3

08/14/2011 Boston, MA Bank of America Pavilion US / Roll Call on sale: 5/18 . General on sale: 5/21

08/16/2011 Detroit, MI Meadow Brook US / Roll Call on sale: 5/31 . General on sale: 6/3

08/17/2011 Cincinnati, OH PNC Pavilion at Riverbend Music Center US / Roll Call on sale: 5/18 . General on sale: 5/21

08/20/2011 Alpharetta, GA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre US / Roll Call on sale: 5/18 . General on sale: 5/21

08/21/2011 Charlotte, NC Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheatre US / Roll Call on sale: 5/18 . General on sale: 5/21

Doubt I'll get the new album ... I got into MMJ by seeing two shows, which were awesome, may see them again in Columbus is if it works out, but I did not get into them through the studio records, so I think I'll pass on this one