My Morning Jacket...

I bought It Still Moves - thought it was alright, but nothing that special. Then Z came out - didn't bother finding out about it straight away, but when I did I loved it. So went back and bought their older stuff. Evil Urges finally proved to me that they are one of the best american bands around at the moment; although it's not as good as Z in my eyes, it certainly showed they were willing to try and make interesting music - and that wins half the battle for winning me over to any band. Now that I've read that that cock-of-the-walk Greg Kot doesn't like it, I think I like them just that little bit more now.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

This reminds me somewhat of the pre and post Summerteeth/Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Wilco discussion.

The Tennessee Fire

At Dawn

It Still Moves

Z

Evil Urges

I like this band - they have some great songs, and now, they have changed their sound. So, that takes some getting use to. They are one of the three bands that I enjoy listening to that I learned about by being on this message board.

Me getting into them was a multi-step process.

1) I heard "One Big Holiday" on the radio sometime in 2003/2004 and got really excited about it. Then some guy called into the station screaming "OH MY GOD! THAT WAS AWESOME!! JESUS CHRIST! WHO WAS THAT?" The DJ replied "yes that was awesome! the band is called My Morning Jacket." Despite my initial excitement, I somehow never picked up a CD, but the name was kicking around in the back of my mind.

2) I saw them open for Wilco at Agganis Arena in June 2005 and loved it. They rocked unbelievably hard for the half empty stadium and I really enjoyed it. Somehow, I still didn't go to the merch booth to grab a CD.

3) In the summer of 2005, I was at Newbury Comics and really wanted to get a good rock n' roll CD. I saw It Still Moves and decided to go for it. I still wonder what took me so long.

At Dawn was the first MMJ I ever heard. Ever since then they rank right up there with Wilco for me(maybe ahead). It seems like with every listen I find something new about each song that I like. I have tickets to Louisville and I am hyped for that. Before that every chance I had to see them fell through. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Never did (get into them that is). I've been on this board for a loooong time, and many here have always sung their praises. I tried and tried over the years - to no avail - to get into their studio (and live) albums... January 2007 they played a couple dates in Denver and I thought for sure I'd finally discover what the fuss was all about, and... I left the show early out of sheer boredom. I'm still wondering what's wrong with me... :unsure

I got into them when At Dawn came out, I was even on the street team for It Still Moves and I was off the bandwagon halfway through Z. I think the boys have lost a great sound and are trying to hard now. Sorry, it is gone.

Guest Jules
I got into them when At Dawn came out, I was even on the street team for It Still Moves and I was off the bandwagon halfway through Z. I think the boys have lost a great sound and are trying to hard now. Sorry, it is gone.

Thanks, Greg.

Never did (get into them that is). I've been on this board for a loooong time, and many here have always sung their praises. I tried and tried over the years - to no avail - to get into their studio (and live) albums... January 2007 they played a couple dates in Denver and I thought for sure I'd finally discover what the fuss was all about, and... I left the show early out of sheer boredom. I'm still wondering what's wrong with me... :unsure
Probably nothing..you just don't have the motivation and personal connection to them...

LouieB

Long story short: I saw them at a bar in 03.

Met James and Hallahan during the openers set. Had no idea who these furry guys were.

Later, they melted my face off.

I was at that show. Unfortunately, i was wiped out and had to drive home late. I really liked Magheeta a lot. Then, back in the early spring, I listened to one of their podcasts from the 40 watt and got hooked on them solidly. I plan to see them in September in C'ville. I also got hooked solidly when I heard Jim James and Calexico do Goin To Alcupolco on the I'm Not There.

I was at that show. Unfortunately, i was wiped out and had to drive home late. I really liked Magheeta a lot. Then, back in the early spring, I listened to one of their podcasts from the 40 watt and got hooked on them solidly. I plan to see them in September in C'ville.

I seem to remember you mentioning you had been there that night.

Not that I would have noticed...I'm pretty sure I had a death grip on Carl's monitor buy the second or third song.

I'll be at the Pavilion show along with my nephews. One of which looks a bit like the Bear on the cover of "It Still Moves" in horned rim glasses.

Pretty sure he's taller too.

I also got hooked solidly when I heard Jim James and Calexico do Goin To Alcupolco on the I'm Not There.

If you haven't heard James' version of "Hot Burrito #1" off KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic shoot me a PM... It's about as stunning.

a few songs from tenn. fire, and maybe at dawn, were on the audiogalaxy site (remember that?!) as label sponsored downloads somewhere between '98 and '01. liked 'em alright but then i happened to be in DC when they played the black cat, aound '02 or so with the burning brides. it was about a third full for burning brides and about 50 of us for mmj. i'd never seen so much hair flying around. rocked my world...

I was buying some Neil Young cds (On the Beach and Tonight's the Night) at FOREVER YOUNG RECORDS in Arlington Texas. The music guru checking me out recommended them to me.

At best, they have a tenuous connection, but I'll be damned if he wasn't spot on.

• 5 months later...

Hey MMJ fans. I posted this on the MMJ board, but I wanted to try here too...

I have 2 tickets for the New Year's Eve show at MSG. I can't go any more, so I am hoping to find a buyer.

Sect 204

Row B

Seats 7-8

Face value $120 for the pair (incl. fees) - I can email you the tickets. Price is negotiable.

Let me know.

-Jules

Holy Crap New Year's is rapidly approaching. I'm already starting to wonder about what the weather will be like, not too mention the setlist.

2003 Bonnaroo. I was totally unfamiliar till I caugt their set.

Now, how do I turn folks on to MMJ?

Easy, I put the "Okonokos" dvd, go to track 4

and let 'em watch/hear Gideon>One Big Holiday.

If that doesn't make them "get it", nothing will.

When I saw Jim James doing "Going to Acapulco" in I'm Not There, I was sold. I had to hear what My Morning Jacket was all about and am completely hooked now.

That is an amazing scene with an amazing version of an amazing song.

JimJames.jpg

ken, i'm bummed you can't make it. am hoping that you have something truly rad lined up. will you be at either of the chicago shows?

also: :dancing

Yeah, me too. Just too hard logistically with the baby and finding someone to watch him for multiple days.

Funny you should ask, I am going to the Saturday show, 12/27. I scored awesome seats from a friend who couldn't go. Just a few rows behind the pit. :stunned