• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the Foo Fighters last night & sadly wasn't too impressed. It had been a real long time since I'd seen them. It was the Dave & Taylor show. Rest of the band seemed a bit disengaged. As a guitar player, Dave is an excellent drummer. Krist Novoselic's new band was opener 1 & were horrible. A friend said it was what she imagines the Manson family would've sounded like if they had recorded an album in the 60s. Krist did come out with the Foos for a rousing version of "Molly's Lips". Highlight of the show for me. The second opener was the Joy Formidable. I liked them a real lot & would go see them on their own. I found myself thinking several times during the Foos that they could've ended the song 10 minutes ago & everyone would've been happy. Dave is a nice guy & good front man though I think Kurt is spinning in his grave about the cliche rock star antics. During a jam during the 2nd or 3rd song they went into a Santana "Soul Sacrifice" jam. Knew I was in trouble then. See comment about guitar earlier in review. Pains me to say but it was pretty much mediocre. Several friends agreed with my assessment.

Dave is a nice guy and I'll always sort of admire him, but yeah, even when I saw them in 2003, they did a few long "jams" that were too long (and not jams at all, completely rehearsed long versions of what should be 3 minute songs). I read somewhere that "Dave is the Tom Hanks of rock" and I think that's a really good comparison. 

That doesn't seem fair to Tom...

Is Times Like These not the Di Vinci Code of music?? 

That said, I don't think Dave has done his equivalent of Cloud Atlas so I guess Tom reigns supreme. 

Pearl Jam. First time for me. 

i saw a fantastic PJ show a few weeks ago. if you're going second night, you done good. traditionally, night 2 has been better. here, they played a half hour longer & a very punk rock set. lot of rarities & soundgarden/mudhoney assists. & they played "crown of thorns". :)